Can we get access to old expansions collector editions via the Station store?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Issk, May 3, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Really? It took them awhile to arrange the 'House of Thule' webpage pack and 'Veil of Alaris' shop bundle.

So you are retreating from your belief that only 2-3 people care for these items? lol.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Try reading what was written. For the past 10+ expansions, the expansions and the upgrade function is available in the marketplace. I specifically said there is no reason to do special versions or cheaper bundles. Just put the stupid expansions on the marketplace and if someone wants to spend $105 bucks minus 10% for all access to upgrade from TBL regular version to TBL collections edition, let them.

People on TLPs will buy some every expansion and people on live will buy some when the mood strikes them. It costs, literally, NOTHING to do so and opens a small steady revenue stream.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is what you wrote:

So - supposedly - only 2-3 people care and there is no money to be earned from this.

Then perhaps you can refrain from responding to me. Otherwise, it looks like you want to both ways; even trying to muddy the waters and moving the goalposts.

There is a laughable amount of doublespeak in this thread.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I admit it, marketing and business is not my expertise, so I might have misunderstood the whole concept. :)
    But if we take a hypothetical example, that might make it more clear...

So, a crafty merchant has a prized item in his store, lets call it "veblen good", it cost 100$, and during the first year he sells one of them...

During the following year he also get ten customers, who each tells him they would like to buy a half of "veblen good" for 20$. He declines, and never lowers the price. Ever! and never sells another "veblen good"

Now, the merchant is a happy man, because he had one customer who bought the "veblen good".
    He successfully avoided earning 200$ and lived happily ever after! :cool:

I don't get it...? :confused:
    Yinla and Raccoo like this.
  5. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

He still has the Veblen good and you don't, so, he gets whatever that buys.

DP wants USD and these people want pixels. Somewhere in there is a compromise.
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Double speak from you, sure.

Its not a meaningful amount of money. But its money. You don't seem to be evaluating this at all with any sense of business acumen.

I schedule pickups from one of my facilities for clients, it doesn't generate much money. $75 a pickup, but it doesn't cost me anything but labor hours and fuel. My overhead (my main business expense along with labor) is already taken care of. So by the end of the year, I generate maybe $15,000 in "extra" profit. That is ultimately meaningless to the business model of my company in terms of % revenue, % profit, my P&L, or company value.

But you know why its not meaningless? Because I can take that $15,000 and give it out as xmas bonuses to that facility to the workers there. And I can justify it.

You don't spit at potential revenue just because its small. You evaluate all revenue streams and take advantage of those that generate positive income. Putting old expansions for sale by activating them costs NOTHING and generates some money. It is simply stupid to not do so.

Lowering prices and piecing out rewards to try and sell them is a completely different issue.

And since you seem to be incapable of comprehending the simple concept that when you reply to one statement from a discussion that is occurring as if it belongs to a different statement from a side discussion, just because it is in the same thread, I doubt you'll understand any of the above either.

You are acting like someone that thinks its irrelevant that they waste $6 a day on a starbucks coffee when they could be brewing their own cup, because they are only saving a couple bucks. Yes, its just a few bucks, and even at worst just a couple thousand a year. But unless you have money to flush down the toilet, its a painless way to leverage your income in better ways that create healthier economic situations in your life (401 contributions, pay down debt, cash savings, whatever).

Just because something is not *significant* doesn't mean it is not *worthwhile*. Those are two separate discussions.
    Raccoo likes this.
  7. KrakenReality Augur

Great example, but I just want to point out from the EG7 presentation 32.5% of members were less than 3 years. Its a pretty significant portion of the base that could be “milked,” but it has to be priced right.

As a side note, they need to do what Blizzard did and get some items out for TLP expansion launches. Bags are great, but those people would love to buy some Classic, Kunark, Velious, and PoP special items…I mean Veblen Goods.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. You are walking back your original comments to me (i.e. 2-3 people care, no money to be gained). You probably hated me calling you out that the obvious option in that case is to keep the items vaulted.

2. The first part is totally doublespeak. Possibly even worse: self-contradiction. It's like you are doing mental gymnastics to cover your hyperbole but threading an argument through the eye of a needle ($15,000 is worthless but really nice at the same time). It's probable your ultimate goal is to set you and others up for an angle; likely the idea of cheap prices (once the discussion has moved into the weeds and polemics). The logical extension of "some revenue is insignificant but worthwhile" is "at least low prices for some revenue is nice" (supporting second-order syllogism).

3. The second half of your post is a passive-aggressive tirade (loaded with vitriol) with zero substance or insight into your argument. It's kind of bizarre, honestly.
  9. FrozenWater Augur

I want the game to survive too. I also support them keeping the expansion items available (or rotating them, or even better: floating them as TLPs hit those expansions and sinking them when TLPs move beyond those expansions). So the positions are not mutually exclusive.

Finally I reject the idea of me being "self-interested". I have lots of the collector's editions, all of the heritage crate illusions and mounts, and almost all of the LoN illusions and mounts. Release them again for others to have fun with too. I won't feel any sense of loss.
    Well that goes without saying, which raises the question of why did you say it? I think most people here feel entitled to participate in discussions, and indeed they do. You should expect them to continue to do so.
    Raccoo likes this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Touche.

There's a bit of hypocritical judgment value here.

If I judged that someone's posts were a waste of time, I'd go ahead and ignore. (If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen).
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

1) You claim a tertiary post I made in reference to another branch of the conversation is now the primary argument I made, i.e., you have constructed a straw man argument to attack

2) You reference your made up assumptions of my motivations as another way of dismissing out of hand the argument made, an oblique ad hominem and basically gaslighting

3) You lack basic reading comprehension (somehow you turn "let people buy the product you have sitting collecting dust at full original price" into "spend resources on making things to sell people at cut rate prices")

I think we're done here. Carry on with your rants and crusade.:rolleyes:
    Raccoo likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You're probably taken aback by my pre-emption:

I'll gladly carry on.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

For you. Or for that matter me. But others do seem to love chasing exclusive items. Whether you or I think it is impressive is irrelevant to those who just have to have those items. I am just acknowledging they are out there while you are you are simply going by what you feel is impressive (and I would agree with you) and not accepting that isn't everyone's view.
    Benito likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

But the real indicator is whether Daybreak keeps selling them. So far they seem to feel it is worth it to sell them at those prices.
    Benito likes this.
  15. NinjutsuMMO Augur

I still cant even claim my expansion mount rewards on agnarr which i paid for.. doubt they will get around to this request..
    Benito likes this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm more impressed with those who have the Drakinn illusion, Jester illusion, high elf illusion, mushroom illusion, etc, things that took work to obtain not cash.

I have a few collectors editions myself, and I'd rather see the items in the market place individually rather than in a pack, lots of items only came with 1 and are not heirloom, my alts would love them.
  17. Sobmre Augur

come on everyone, you all know if its what we want and it will make daybreak cash.. they will not do it

they are to busy working on some thing like overseer that no one ever asked for or wanted.
  18. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I will be paying 4-5 Krono for the Rivervale Deputy illusion on Luclin Server. I pay the best prices. Sobmre knows it.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  19. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

This would, by definition, make his named "veblen good" NOT a "veblen" good.

Which is true of almost everything called "veblen" in this thread, because the definition actually means something beyond "its kinda fancy innit", and REQUIRES the demand for the item to rise WITH the price of the item, AND requires the item to be largely a status symbol*. Fancy editions of EQ satisfy neither of those. You can, in fact, track the monetary value of individual parts of fancy eq editions, external of the complete package as a whole, which doesnt even make those editions a collection of veblen goods, because they tend to follow expected economic activity (i.e: when they cost less, people buy more).

Incidentally, the concept of Veblen and Giffen goods are reflected INSIDE mmo world economies better than they are almost anywhere else.

*this one is a bit longer than just that phrase, and includes tangible measures of functionality over existing items not being a sole measure of an item being "veblen" or not, as it can then be otherwise attributed to practicality**. IE: whatever new graphics card that as of the time you read this is never in stock and costs 1.5-1.8x as much as the next-best-performing alternative isnt a veblen good, its a functional upgrade to an existing product. A Rolex isnt a functional upgrade to a watch that costs 1/20th the price.

** it also has to be observed outside the occurrence of of interaction effects which can cause the demand to rise independent of the cost rising.
    Jumbur and Niskin like this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yup. It would be a bad look if Daybreak decided to behave more like Epic Games (mass release of cosmetics) but continue to have issues with the marketplace (i.e. Krono).