Wizard Love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonOfABiscuit Augur

Thanks for killing the wizard class, devs. Guess I'll go back to humping mobs with my mage (to be clear, the pet does the humping, I just watch).
    Coagagin likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im actually cautiously optimistic. The devs agrees with us that we need to be adjusted, that is a good start. They also updated some obsolete code, that affected our passive crit, so it is probably easier to maintain now, also a good start. :)

Right now they are probably focused on that new TLP, but when that is up and running(in a stable manner!) I expect them to take a look on wizards.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm hoping to see something to help wizzys in the test patch later today......I can dream can't I?
  4. Ashigaru Augur

I suspect that for the next couple of months the focus will be on whatever breaks in this round of TLP's
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Actual good news - the test patch notes have the last 3 necro dot lines modified (necrotizing, splurt, scourge of fate).

Why is this good news? Because we were never going to see any real changes in direct damage until the dots were finished. We can only hope to get 6+ months out of ridiculous boosts before changes to direct damage in the future like the necros got/still getting...

Edit - Not sure why the patch notes were so lacking, but it looks like the "rebalance" has also occurred looking at the spell data. Many of the necro lines were bumped back, although the ratio stayed pretty close to the same. And not all spell lines were changed (Pyre of Klraggek, Crystal Crawler Venom, Danvid's Decay, Grip of Zorglim are some without changes).

But at least we can start building the case for more direct damage vs dot damage at 115 because we're at (or at least close to) the final necro state of revamp. Which is hopefully on the plate after Mischief launches but before next expansion work begins in earnest.
    Mongol311 likes this.
  6. Kelset Elder

Careful, you might have to change your "Cranky Wizard" title if you keep going down this optimist path :)
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  7. breachtrueblade New Member

Cimbaeth said it all.

Im totally cov raid geared with all the the bells, but I might make #20, but usually less,

as do the 2 better ranked wizards in our guild

As a group we are all ranked in the 20s or less, way behind bards, enchanters, mages etc etc, every

raid, for the last 2 expacs

It really is a depressing situation after being top drawer for 18 plus years

some of our long time wizards have switched to berserkers
  8. kizant Augur

It's really not that bad. Post your spell counts or something if you want some suggestions.
    Szilent and Sancus like this.
  9. Cimbaeth Elder

It IS that bad. Ok spell counts last night on defenders + arbitor: Wizard 1- 5 mill more than me- 7407 spell hits, me: 7732 spell hits, wizard 3: 6257 spell hits, wizard 4: 4780 spell hits, wizard 5: 4392 spell hits. Granted 4 and 5 did not have a chanter/mage/bard and wizards 1-3 had 2 chanters and a druid, no mage or bard. Wizards have been made 100% dependent on a very specific setup of adps to put out mediocre dps compared to other classes. That's why it makes more sense for raid leaders to put more effort into getting the now much better dps classes the right adps. I listed spell counts- because I have written posts on how to maximize burns and dps for wizards, I am always top spell hits and usually top parsing wizard as a result. But my top parse is weak sauce compared to bezerker..bard..necro.. shamans... SKs...warriors....
  10. kizant Augur

I mean what are you casting? Not getting into the top 20 ever in the past two expansions I hope is an exaggeration. Here's a longish Tantor for me as an example.

Combined (16): Tantor in 480s

Kizant - 146
    --- Claw of Sontalak - 26
    --- Ethereal Brand - 23
    --- Ethereal Confluence - 11
    --- Flashbrand - 6
    --- Force of Flame - 12
    --- Force of Ice - 5
    --- Force of Will - 12
    --- Frostbound Coalition - 1
    --- Mana Burn - 1
    --- Restless Ice Comet - 1
    --- Scorching Beam - 23
    --- Self-Incineration - 4
    --- Splash of Pyroxene - 4
    --- Thaumaturgic Vortex - 15
    --- Wildscorch Strike - 2
    Coagagin and Sancus like this.
  11. Piemastaj Augur

I am in no way saying Wizards do not need help, however assuming you are doing the right thing and then not posting what you are actually doing does not help make your case. You could be doing A, B, C correctly but missing X, Y, Z and that is why your struggling to crack into the top 20.
    Sancus likes this.
  12. Cimbaeth Elder

Ah I see the problem- I was spamming level 5 spells... Of course I'm casting the same spells. Well minus the AEs because we have been just ignoring the tantorlings, not killing them.
  13. Mongol311 A really bad wiz

The absurdity of some of the responses to Cimbaeth here... Top 3 wizard on magelo, gets told they don't know which spells to cast... hilarious
  14. kizant Augur

Obviously using AEs is based on the number of primal guardians that are up not the tantorlings. And a number of people make bad decisions as far as spells used or which they give the most priority to. I've seen people use the magic ethereal, not use vortex, focus too much on ethereals where their ice comet #s are similar to their brand #s, not cast anywhere near enough claws, etc. And of course ignoring AEs all together is a bad idea and not meleeing.
    Sancus likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

Magelo means nothing and if you want to make an argument that your DPS is so poor then you need to show evidence that you're playing as well as you can. It's easy to show some details and you shouldn't take offense when others offer assistance.
  16. Cimbaeth Elder

17. Cimbaeth Elder

Combined: Tantor on 05/12/21

Cimbaeth - 180
    --- Arcane Destruction VII - 1
    --- Bifold Focus - 2
    --- Blazing Infiltration IX - 0
    --- Blessing of Unity - 2
    --- Call of Xuzl XIX - 1
    --- Claw of Sontalak Rk. III - 8
    --- Ethereal Blast Rk. III - 43
    --- Ethereal Brand Rk. III - 58
    --- Ethereal Confluence - 16
    --- Flashbrand Rk. III - 7
    --- Focus of Arcanum VII - 1
    --- Force of Will XXIV - 3
    --- Forceful Rejuvenation - 1
    --- Frostbound Coalition Rk. III - 12
    --- Grace of Unity - 1
    --- Idyllic Gambit Rk. III - 2
    --- Mana Burn XVIII - 1
    --- Obulus Strike - 0
    --- Received Auspice of the Hunter - 4
    --- Received Chromatic Haze - 1
    --- Received Chromatic Haze Proc - 4
    --- Received Illusions of Grandeur - 1
    --- Received Paragon - 3
    --- Received Twincast - 2
    --- Scorching Beam Rk. III - 3
    --- Spike of Corruption - 0
    --- Spike of Ice - 0
    --- Spire of Arcanum XII - 1
    --- Summon Firiona Vie's Unicorn - 1
    --- Thaumaturgic Vortex Rk. III - 10
    --- Twincast Rk. III - 2
    --- Vicious Rabbit - 1
    --- Weave of Reclamation - 1
    --- Wildscorch Strike Rk. III - 3

Produced by GamParse v2.0.0.99 BETA

Combined: Tantor on 05/12/21 in 734sec

Cimbaeth+pets 350.7m @483,000dps
    KrakenReality likes this.
  18. Sancus Augur

I appreciate you posting your counts. That said, the distribution of casts here is far too heavily skewed towards Ethereals (why Magic Ethereal?) and away from Claw/Flashbrand/Beam/Vortex, which is going to create a substantially different outcome DPS-wise. You can't compete as a Wizard by primarily spamming Ethereals.

Those counts, along with ADPS coordination, which we can't really tell from that parse, are the primary two inputs that determine your DPS output. Magelo, Hero AAs, Slayer, Achievement Points, etc. have no impact* whatsoever on your output.

*No, the DPS from Banestrike does not constitute an "impact."
    Coagagin, Lophophora, sojero and 2 others like this.
  19. KrakenReality Augur

Props to Cim for posting their spell breakdown.
  20. Cimbaeth Elder

Magic ethereal because I don't have the most recent ice focus. That said, we aren't killing more than 1 or two creatures at a time which makes beam a waste. We have 5 wizards, so overriding vortex is also a waste. You're basically just trolling because using flashbrand more actually diminishes my dps on raids if I'm not using it to finish off a mob IE cast that because I don't have the time to cast an ethereal. I compete as a wizard just fine considering I almost always outdamage all the other wizards. I mean, if you have anything correct or.. useful to say I'm open but so far you don't. That being said- my main strategy to pull ahead of other wizards is to proc refresh of confluence/ twincast off of claw after ITC goes down, That and trying to proc twincast off of claw repeatedly then proc twincast off claw when twincast is about to die. Sometimes it doesn't take.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.