Serious concerns around Mischief hype and popularity....

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Master Kahleem, May 8, 2021.

1. Elabone Augur

Except they offered free xfers from Ragefire to Lockjaw after they realized the mistake that was made by opening a server several days after the initial release. If the only experience you have is from Aradune, I understand why you would be skeptical. But history has shown this just isnt the case.

Except this is not what will happen. The large majority of people will flock to the server that is announced first. And a small amount of people will agree to play on the 2nd server, most will be forced into it if they are unable to log in.

However I will add that having 2 servers is the only option at launch, but it will not play out how you think. There will not be a 50/50 split.
    Master Kahleem likes this.
  2. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

A promise of a quick merge would do a lot to spread out the population. Without that, everyone will want to play on primary server - Mischief.
  3. Master Kahleem Augur

I know some people who don't care for the massive guild influence on their server so they'd prefer the overflow, but yea.....for people who aren't that niche of a player they'd need to offer to quick-merge potential to be offered over time each expansion maybe?
  4. Baldur Augur

I had seen the messages from Dreamweaver on the discord about the second server, but I guess I missed that it wouldn't be released at the same time.

What is the point of the second server if it doesn't release the same time as Mischief? That just seems stupid to me.
  5. Laronk Augur

I think they're being conservative, there's people resources in setting up the enviroment not just the physical resources. Maybe it takes a lot of man hours and it hasn't been automated since they just release 1 or 2 servers a year (or every other year).

But yeah, I feel like it will be more popular than aradune, and I know you feel that way as well but they could know something we don't. OR the dislike so many people (including dbg staff) have over a free-trade loot coupled with the new weird mechanic they might think it will be less popular than Aradune.
  6. Barder-mangler Augur

In all seriousness, I think the EQ team KNOWS that they will likely need another server. The issue is that it costs money, and Dreamweaver/others would have to run it (just guessing here) all the way up the chain to get approved.

Here are the scenarios (from their perspective):

1) Launch a second server, staff lobby for it, and they needed it: Nothing happens, players are happy.
    2) Launch a second server that isn't needed, yet staff lobbied for it: Someone gets fired.
    3) Launch a second server after the first server because of lag/congestion/overcrowding: No one gets fired, players are angry, but play anyway.
    4) Don't launch a second server because it isn't needed: Nothing happens, players are happy.
    5) Don't launch a second server because Mischief can almost handle or can handle the launch capacity on it's own: nothing happens, players are happy.

It appears they have determined that #5 is most likely, but will pivot to #3 if needed.
  7. Lejaun Augur

6) Don't launch a second server. Players are angry after terrible queues happening yet again (Aradune 2.0) and actually make good on their threat to quit the game.
  8. Kywen Augur

Here are the scenarios (from their perspective):

1) Launch whatever. Players will play it or not. Some will complain, but who cares?
    2) Launch whatever again. Players will play it or not. Who cares?
    3) Launch half-finished mess. Players will complain. Some will play WoW, but who cares?
    4) Don't launch nothin. Players will complain. Some will play WoW. Who cares?
    5) Wait till Employee X tenders their resignation, blame them for items 2, 3 and 4.
    6) Don't launch nothin, but fire Employee X. Players will think something is being done.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm thinking calculation goes...

?- Set up two servers x=(x*2)
    ?- Something goes wrong x=x + err
    ?- Implement fix x=(x + fix)*2
    ?- Bring up both servers again x*2
    Total? X=(4*bring up a server) + err + (2*fix)
    :(
    VS
    :)- 1 server
    :)- 1*number of errors and fixes
    :)- 1 more server when things settle out. (if needed)
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

The only reason anyone objects to a second server is really just because dbg has a bad reputation for tending their servers. If they could say definitively that the two servers would merge when X happens then I really think everyone would say its a good idea.

Its that or a hardware upgrade to actually handle launch. But we've already fallen for that once...
    Tharvog likes this.
  11. Machen New Member

This, at least, is actually true.
  12. Machen New Member

Oh, they've decided. They just don't want to announce the decision because it won't be popular.
  13. Hydralite New Member

Tbh no TLP will ever be as bad as classic wow on some servers. I myself played
    on Gehennas and the first week que was around 10 hours, then second week it was down to
    around 6 hours.

But atleast i watched all seasons of GoT while in
    que, just no way Mischief be even somewhere close
    to that shitshow.
  14. Bardy McFly Augur

I'm sure they're still listening and considering. They have a couple weeks before launch still, and as a long timer in the IT industry I will sadly admit that more happens in the last week before any release of something than everyone is comfortable with lol.
  15. Master Kahleem Augur

Curious why we haven't heard anything yet :(
  16. Bardy McFly Augur

Because I don't think there will be another feedback loop. They're probably consuming what everyone is saying and coming out with a final pre-launch statement of what the launch will be, with it being too close to launch to consider any further major changes at that point.
  17. Relentless Insomnia

These things take time grasshopper!
  18. Tharvog Elder

We live In a world with load balancing software, cluster servers, and the cloud. You dont have an excuse at this point. Spend some of our money we give you monthly and in extremely ridiculous amounts every year on launch month. We are all tired of the carrot on the stick approach, after 20 years I want that carrot now.
  19. Bardy McFly Augur

Clearly you have not worked with a codebase that is in some cases 20 or more years old. Some stuff would need to be rewritten completely from the ground up, which in recent years they did not have the resources to take on. A lot of this may even be code that nobody still with the company even knows how some aspects work. It's something that as each year passes, it compounds and becomes harder and harder to ever be able to rewrite all of the technical debt. There are some aspects of EQ that may never be able to change because of this.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Tharvog Elder

Sure you can only imagine the spider web of maze like code over the years. The solution is simply disconnecting TLP from live, creating a fresh backbone. Wow Classic, P99. Think outside the box or hire some new blood that can wizard this.. I know private devs in the indie business with better architecture. Plenty of cheap labor out there just have to tell us your hiring.