For the love of mittens....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jhinx, May 10, 2021.

1. Jhinx Whimsical Chinchilla

Would it be possible to stop requiring multiple characters to pop some easily soloable instance? If possible, the same could be said for incredibly trivial raids (Time, Anguish, Tacvi) that a single toon could slaughter with ease to help out some poor soul.
    KarmaKitty, Fanra, Sprooce and 2 others like this.
  2. Coagagin Guild house cat

Certain raid instances as well really no longer need 6 or more players.
    Elyssanda, Fanra and Jumbur like this.
  3. Cadira Augur

Recently occured to me that one of the reasons this exists is probably to keep people from super easily farming old instances that have valuable clickies and such on all of their box characters and then taskadding the toon that actually needs the clicky when it drops on the 4th instance finally etc.

I think this is a pointless arbitrary time sink myself but I figured that's the reason for it, at least.
  4. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Of all the things in EQ that need dev attention is this the hill we want to plant a flag on?
    Fenthen and Rolaque like this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Especially when you can circumvent it with others who don't have to even tag along (and in some cases, don't even have to be logged in).
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It is still a bother, having to gather extra afk players to join you for it. (they can't play in their own instances, or run full groups on their own, so they are limited in their play while they help you out) it also makes looting slightly more cumbersome, as you have to assign loot to yourself manually.

CoTF and later expansions lets you start instances solo, and for 99% of the earlier expansion-instances there is no good reason to have that requirement anymore. It doesn't even tax the severs less, when it forces people to log extra chars(that would otherwise not be needed) into the game.

There are missions where the extra char requirement makes perfect sense(like that "guess-the-murder" mission in shards landing), but for the most part it is just forcing arbitrary limitations on the player.

A good game-design challenges the player by making him fight the game, a bad game-design challenges the player by making him fight the user-interface...this is the latter situation...
    Jhinx, Fanra and Sprooce like this.
  7. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

It would have taken a neat trick for the devs back in 2003 to realize the game would still be around in 2021 and that player power would have increased so much by then that they could solo all the old raids.
  8. Jhinx Whimsical Chinchilla

Indeed, but it's 2021 now and we have all these robots and flying cars, so I find myself imploring 2021 Devs to save us :)
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

X = 6 --> X = 1
    KarmaKitty and Jhinx like this.
  10. KarmaKitty Augur

If you are N (say 20) levels above the required level, you should be allowed solo.
    Jhinx likes this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Just unlock it when the free AA unlock. That's 4 expansion old raid content. Who cares at that point.
    Jhinx and Fenthen like this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

???

No idea what you mean here

AAs are not tied to instances. You just get XP and grind them.

If you mean the Heroic AAs, they are tied to achievements, which are tied to some instances/missions. But those aren't auto-granted.

Edit: Finally ate dinner, brain unlocked, and I got what you're saying, LOL!
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would say, just unlock it, if you have done the otherwise required progression, that would allow you to request the instance.
    In other words, simply remove the additional requirement for being in a group/raid.

(Unless the requirement actually makes sense for that particular instance, like the shards landing murder-case)

If someone wants to try soloing still relevant raid-content, they should absolutely be allowed to try! :p
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Title just made me think of kitten mittens.