Please do a "two step" launch and let people create Mischief characters before opening server login

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ehrenoak, May 6, 2021.

1. Ehrenoak HIerophant

The devs themselves have stated that the main reason that the TLP servers are crushed out of the gate is the massively disproportional amount of capacity character creation demands vs. maintaining logged in users that already exist. I am talking about the first few days when it seems like no one can even get on at all.

"That other game's" classic launch was greatly smoothed by having a period where people were only able to create characters for about three days, so on launch day, that process was already settled for many users and the database was ready. I am pretty confident this was the exact reason for that approach.

Is there any way we could get this for Mischief?
    Myzfyt, Wtfagain and Laronk like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Here's my solution:

Week 1 - only 1 character slot enabled per account
    Week 2 - 2 character slots enabled per account
    Week 3 - 3 character slots enabled per account

etc.

I am willing to bet that would help at least a bit, there is a big bunch of traffic in the early days of any new server with people logging in to the server to "reserve" (AKA stop anybody else from using) a name, or many names, they are pathologically attached to.
    Vindaven and minimind like this.
  3. omgomg Lorekeeper

i would amend the above to
    day1 - 1 character slot
    day2 - the rest

that would keep the initial boondoggle at a minimum
    Vindaven likes this.
  4. ASDAprice Lorekeeper

but if one character slot is open.. how will i steal the name mabbu?
  5. Basak Augur

They had pre launch character creation way back in the day with the progression servers. Always thought it odd they didn't continue that going forward with other TLP.
  6. Jmitch Lorekeeper

This is a good idea which usually means it's not going to happen.
  7. Xondor Lorekeeper

This is the one suggested change that I've seen posted that I can really get behind. Been there opening night for multiple TLPs and it is such a cluster. Basically not even worth trying until around 4-6 hours after the servers initially go up. At that point it will only take you another couple hours of trying to get on. Honestly sucks to be on the east coast for it because if you want any sleep at all there is no point in trying opening day.
  8. Zansobar Augur

They need to open the character creation but disable the enter game button, like a week prior to server launch so everyone can get their characters made and names reserved. That would take a lot of load off the server at launch.
  9. Xhieron Elder

I'd like to chime in and say I'm also strongly in favor of this plan. Anything to spread the load out would be welcome.
  10. Umul Augur

Only random name generator works on Mischief servers.
  11. Hythos Augur

With a twist:
    You see your selected name as usual. Everyone else sees a random name that's assigned each time the character logs in.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

By the time a TLP is announced, the team has already moved on to another project.
  13. MMOer Augur

yep but doesnt hurt to try and post logic to them
  14. Haldi Elder

at this point I believe DPG wants people to spend hours on end trying to get into the game but yet also wants to make sure Streamers and certain guilds who have connections with the devs, are the first one's in game for that 3-10 hour advantage over everyone else
  15. Hythos Augur

• Launch servers early and accessible (this will initialize their revenue & Krono claims).
    • Start with ZERO NPC's (GM commands exist to facilitate this: wipe/remove all NPC's)
    • Allow characters to be created (which we know will load players into the game).
    • Implement a timer for characters to have a max session time of a few minutes before disconnect (I think there's a client function for 'alert & disconnect' that could be triggered).
    • Turn off zoning.

May25th, restart & lock the server, wait until "launch" to unlock.
    I don't think a utility exists to reset all characters, but all characters can be flagged / forced to return to origin upon first login....
  16. Wtfagain Elder

this really needs to happen.
  17. Machen New Member

Since I'm not playing on the server seriously, and I have 19 accounts, let me put this out there.

WTS "Skuz" name.