Can we get access to old expansions collector editions via the Station store?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Issk, May 3, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Former EQ2/Vanguard dev Moorgard said, on Azaliil's Twitch, that Vanguard had to sunset once crate revenue dried up (buyers had acquired all of their wants). I believe he also said Free Realms revenue plummeted when their cosmetics became cheap and saturated.

I think we should fear overall revenue drops by releasing too many cosmetics at a low price point.

We need to fully understand market psychology (and its effects on a firm) instead of relying solely on the dictates of individual self-interest (obvious personal choice for rare cosmetics to be readily available at a cheap price).

Moorgard is Steve Danuser on: https://www.twitch.tv/alovingrobot/videos
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Stymie Pendragon

I don't think you understand what I meant at all. The word you keep using is one that I liken to the old word of the day pads that people used to learn about on the toilet. Use it in a sentence 3 times and it's yours!

It's not that I don't understand the meaning, I'm trying to point out the over use of a filler word.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

People have accused me of trolling (not agreeing with self-focused price points). I am backing up my points with real-world principles of economics and market psychology. My side will argue the principle of Veblen good dictates the feasibility - even the incentive - of higher price points ($139/$89 bundles) and how it can supersede the norms of the supply-demand curve or optimal price point (which is undetermined without internal data). Though, interestingly, Daybreak's reduction from 50% to 25% end-of-year expansion discounts alludes to the inelasticity of demand for these premium cosmetics (collectors being willing to pay any price).
  4. KrakenReality Augur

That’s not why those games failed, especially not Vanguard.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

One of the requirements for veblen-goods, is that they work as a status symbol.

But in a game like everquest, is there really any status at all in owning things you can just buy?
    I doubt Everquest players are that easily impressed tbh.

Everquest players were not impressed by people who bought ebay-accounts back in the day, I really doubt that opinion has changed.

I think the majority of players wants the fluff because they like to look cool, and looking cool is not worth that much to the majority of players. There is no status in looking cool when you can just buy it.

The only thing owning a super expensive veblen-good shows the rest of the players, is how easy you are to manipulate by marketing, that is not impressive...:p
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Many of the Collector and Premium Edition items are unique and can be perceived as status symbols. Part of the allure of 'Limited Edition' items is being an OG (original gangster) and exclusivity. By owning a limited-release item, you are saying I was a player in 2014 (for instance) and - by the way - this is a very rare cosmetic (few own it). This thought process will motivate people who missed out previously to more willingly buy the current Collector or Premium Edition.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. Froglok Augur

I have asked /. suggested before to sell the expansion pack "bonus" items individually, rather than sell the expansions or versions (collector's, etc.) of expansions.

Here is why.

1) Players get all past expansions when they buy the current one. So why buy it again?

2) I may not want all of the bonus items -- just one of them! Example... some of the bonus items are (1) per account, instead of 999 per account. I may want, say, a bonus portal click for other characters on my account, but not the placeables, XP potions, etc..

3) From a Players point of view... logically... the individual items would be priced accordingly (5 bonus items / extra cost for the collector edition = $X each) -- as in cheaper.

4) For Darkpaw's angle, individual items would probably attract more sales (revenue for DP), more so than buying an entire set of bonus items just to get the one or two you want. Example, the Mark of Brell (portal to Underfoot) was 1-per-account. I would probably buy one for my other characters as well.

I have made this same suggestion for items that can no longer be acquired... Beta items (Beta players got it free, others have to pay for it), Convention items (attendees got it as part of the ticket price, charge that same price in DP Coin for it) and other special / promotional items (i.e. such as from the old Recruit a Player program).
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

But owning rare items is not impressive in everquest, being good at the game is impressive in everquest.

Besides how are we supposed to know what is rare in this game, for all we know the only reason not many people have those items, could be that there is no demand for it... how many people are wearing the weird cactus hat for example?

None of the items you have shown, really stand out... when everyone can look unique, we only have peoples word for it when they say something is rare. Everyone have so many flashy mounts, that none of them look special anymore...we just pick the one we like. :)
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

There is a danger with a heavy saturation of cosmetic items.

Look at Free Realms, Fortnite, and Rocket League. It becomes a self-inflicted wound if you fulfill everyone's wants and desires. Consumers get drained (of cash and attention) and the studio is forced to seek greater and greater pizazz in their offerings.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Trust me. On high population servers, you will see people showing off their Heritage Crate illusions, top LoN illusions, rare Hero's Forge (Golden Hero, Blue Clockwork, Sinister Clockwork), and unique mounts (Balefire Wyvern). Not to mention 'No Longer Dropped' (Da Oogly Stick) items. Premium expansions and crates are a major part of their revenue stream (and should not be undermined unless the game is on its last legs).
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think that boat already sailed years ago, tbh. I wouldn't know a rare item from an item that is just out of fashion...:confused:
    As I said, you can't base a longterm strategy on veblen-goods.

I would be more impressed, if the rare item in question was a result of a difficult and well known quest, you know, like epics! :cool: (And Im ok with the dev focus being on content rather than epics)
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I just find it kind of weird that some minimize these cosmetics (as minor and obsolete) but are somehow concerned enough to lobby for them. (Otherwise, people should let these items go). Actions speak for themselves. It illustrates my point of perceived value as a status symbol. lol.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Honestly, I would prefer that everything were quest rewards or drops. That way, it would show what kind of player you were...
    All the dev effort spend on that fluff, could have been spend on a model revamp or more zones...:)

I haven't spend anything beyond the free 500 monthly dbc on the marketplace. but I understand Im the minority here.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Darkpaw is a business that requires revenue to pay employees living wages, pay operating costs, and even prove itself to investors with profit. $39 expansions in the year 2021 (see inflation) won't cut it. In a perfect world, we'd be back in 1999 on $20 expansions and $8 subscriptions. Note, better than 1999, EQ1 currently has a very generous F2P (Free-to-Play) model.

But I am concerned that tinkering with the status quo (current model) is like playing with fire. This game could turn the way of Free Realms and Vanguard - maintenance mode or sunset. Or, it follows the cash shop-heavy dynamics of Fortnite, Rocket League, Call of Duty, Destiny, and Valorant. Or, they can do away with F2P altogether and raise basic expansion prices.

So you cherish gameplay, right? Pricey cosmetics is the cost of keeping this game afloat and in this iteration (F2P with $39 expacs). EQ1 has a fairly stable and amicable revenue model (no P2W, not cash shop heavy - admittedly, TLP players will say otherwise cause tiny numbers matter).
  15. FrozenWater Augur

NFT != Crypto, but I know what you mean. And both are tradable.

Edit: Ok, I think I know what prompted this response. My point was that physical items are ALWAYS tradable, digital items MAY be tradable. I was not trying to claim that digital items can't be tradable.
    Benito likes this.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yeah, NFTs can be Veblen goods (unique blockchain digital artwork = unique physical artwork).

There is no distinction or it is a strained distinction.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I understand that the marketplace have a place in EQ1, I just question that the veblen-goods strategy is the way to go with a playerbase as old as EQ1. :) We are different from Fortnite-players, I think.

Im sure some people care about veblen-goods(and keeping things rare), I just think the minority who does is too small. And that the majority who doesn't, is a better focus for investment.
    The majority of EQ players simply have their focus elsewhere, like beating raids or completing progression quests or just socializing...(I think)

I don't have the numbers to back it up though. It is just a hunch.

They did try the veblen-goods strategy though, that was the point of nobles and that marcia amitglad vendor. Im not sure it really caught on...:confused:
    Niskin likes this.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The Veblen good strategy is the Darkpaw (EQ1) current strategy (status quo). Offering the items on rotation and at low prices is copying Fortnite.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh I doubt Daybreak bases their pricing on a few players saying they would pay anything. :)

I think its reasonable to offer past expansion bonuses for the price of the expansion. This makes them available but would probably not affect how many folks are buying an expansion when it comes out.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

But if people are after a specific cheap item, they can just save up free dbc, while they wait for it to become available again.
    If instead they sold everything people want at the same time, then the impatient ones would buy the dbc they need, for instant gratification...thus spending more money...

The rotation concept gives people time to save up without spending money... I would assume they would encourage impulsive buying...:confused: