Can we get access to old expansions collector editions via the Station store?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Issk, May 3, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

People used to collect all kinds of knick knacks, salt and pepper shakers, trinkets, baseball cards and so on. Then one day they stopped. Something better came along, or people changed how they viewed success. The end result is that when your grandma died, she left a bunch of crap to her kids that was gold to her, but garbage to her kids. Collecting anything but the most unique of things tends to fall off eventually, and even then it's the resale value that gives it value to the next recipient.

I could tell you stories about old men who bought gun after gun, week after week, long after they could see properly enough to use them. Then they died, and their wives took those guns to a pawn shop and got dimes on the dollar for them. Perceived value doesn't matter when the perceiver hasn't cleaned their glasses in decades. They would have been better off keeping their money in the first place, but they thought guns held value like collector's items.

I'm going to say it for the hundredth time, nobody who cares about this game wants Pay-To-Win happening here. We all want the game to survive. We just have different views on pricing strategies for items that most likely make up a small percentage of their overall income. Whether or not DPG decides to keep things the same or change them will have little to do with anything you or I say on the matter. They have the numbers, they just have to gage the interest decide if it's worth a change.
  2. KrakenReality Augur

Game is already Pay to Win and officially sponsored by DPG. Are people still trying to claim it’s not? Kronos, experience potions, Bayle Marks, Teleports, Tradeskill potion, SoW potions, Levitate click, bigger bag sales, Crystallized Luck, etc.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ever heard of the antiques market?

This is false. Because a Picasso sketch is not "the most unique" (over - say- the Mona Lisa) value will fall off?

What the heck.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

So you can post an opinion on the forums but if other people post an opinion that's not ok? I didn't beg for anything. I'm not buying at the current prices and I'm not asking them to lower the price. I'm saying that they may be missing out on 10 sales to make 1 sale at the current prices, and that there are pricing strategies that can capture more revenue that fall between expensive and cheap. See the big picture and stop pretending you are special for having collector's items. Nobody cares.

You really have no clue. There is no circle here. Pricing on limited quantities is more important than pricing on unlimited quantities. Apple and the rest have no choice, DPG does. I am leaving it to them to make the choice, just pointing out this particular data point is not a limitation to their options.
    PCSS, Yinla and Raccoo like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

[IMG]
    PCSS and KrakenReality like this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Because Apple doesn't have massive factories (Foxconn) in China to literally make close to infinite amounts of a product?
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yes, I'm old, so of course I have. These days not so much. There are less antiquities that people care about now. Old stuff is lame for the most part, but some of it has charm, so it has value. I guarantee you there is more old people stuff getting thrown away, that they thought had value, than ever before in history. I see this all the time.

Can you buy a Picasso at the local dollar store? Did I miss something, or did he only make so many and then died so there won't be any more? The Mona Lisa is more unique, and probably has more value than a Picasso, with the caveat being that it is art so some of the value comes from how people feel about the art itself.

People live in the past to some degree. They don't always see that the world changed around them. Modernization has made some old things pointless to exist beyond sentimental value. Those with strong sentimental ties are the last to see this, if they do at all. Hence my grandmother thinking her grandkids would want these novelty salt and pepper shakers. Or these old men buying guns as an investment for their kids. Not realizing that every year new guns come out, and make the old ones less interesting.

You see this with cars and other things. Sure that's a cool old V8 with a 4-barrel carb, but a modern V6 can accelerate nearly as fast and use way less gas, which isn't 59 cents a gallon anymore. Not to mention old cars, aside from a few models, look dumb as hell compared to many newer models.

Times change, people don't always, hence my comment.
    Raccoo likes this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they price those items at $10million they only have to sell one! :p

But seriously, gambling a price strategy on a few rich whales is probably not wise. Just imagine the trouble, if EQ got the reputation in the general public for ultra expensive fluff-bundles... a reputation like that could scare potential customers away...
    If I read in the news about some player who spends an absurd amount of money on some game I don't know about, then I instantly think that game is not for me...

EQ doesn't need to cater to a few whales, they need to make the common players feel wanted, to survive in the long term... an mmo needs a certain quantity of players to make sense.

Basing your income on rich whales makes perfect sense, if you only have a short lifespan for your game before the fad dies out...
    EQ is not like that! :)
    Yinla, Raccoo and Niskin like this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That is one of the functions of the loyalty vendor, she actually showcases "ornament of the day" and you can even ask what the ornament is called. However, the loyalty vendor is not exactly placed at the busiest corner of pok.

Maybe they could spawn the brave guard "sir Braggart Pridemore", who loves to parade around the small bank in pok(or maybe the lobby?), sporting his shiniest armor and weapons, with a similar functionality...:p
  10. dreamweaver Community Manager

I removed some of the more off-topic portions of the most recent discussion. Let's try to stay on topic.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I didn't actually know that, I only pay attention to the loyalty vendor when I need anchors or a perfected distiller. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have something in PoK that brings awareness, especially of upcoming items, as long as it's obvious but not annoying.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There are 2 loyalty vendors.
  13. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The cleanup needed to happen, and I don't expect DW to pick through what needs to be saved when a post goes too far, so I'm going to re-make a couple of points minus the drama. This is not a direct reply to anyone, just information.

#1 Physical items are made from materials, if those materials are not available in infinite quantities then you can not make infinite items, regardless of the size of your factory. This is a limitation on physical production that does not exist on virtual items like those that exist in the EQ Marketplace. Pricing of physical and virtual items can have different considerations due to this difference. While they can still use the same considerations, virtual items are not limited to doing so.

#2 There is no appreciable limit on the number of virtual items you can sell that is based on database cost or energy cost of doing so. If you can sell 10 and make a profit then you can sell a billion and make a profit. Pricing strategies should not care about scale, beyond the minimum needed to support the infrastructure cost. Since the EQ Marketplace already exists, and its costs are already baked into the operating budget of the game, selling any number of virtual items, large or small, will not negatively impact that.

With those two points made, I still contend that there is untapped potential out there for sales of things EQ has held back. As Yinla said on page two, she'd spend $50 on 5 items across multiple characters, but not $40 on 1 item. There are plenty of customers that have a limit in mind for what they will spend on something like ornamentations or other cosmetics. It's not a limit on how much they will spend total on those items, just how much they will spend on any given item. Right not EQ's model may be missing out on those sales. Are they making more from the current model than they could otherwise? We really don't know.
  14. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I vote to keep the items vaulted. Just release new cosmetics.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd prefer they cycled things once a month. Bring old illusions back one month, pet illusions the next, mounts the next, etc. Re-release expansions for a month when a TLP server reaches that expansion (available for all).

There is stuff I have missed in the past due to lack of cash or just wasn't something I wanted/needed for an alt at the time. I've made a beastlord on a different account recently and there are a few things I wish I had on her.
  16. Stymie Pendragon

I went 50 years without reading or hearing "veblen", and I could go another 50 without it. It ranks right up there with "literally" for me.
    Raccoo and KrakenReality like this.
  17. KrakenReality Augur

Your example just spotlights the possible revenue. From the EG7 acquisition presentation, it was like 60+% of accounts were less than 3 years. It’s a lot of potential collector edition sales there for pretty minimal costs. The important aspect is getting the pricing right. Live accounts are already buying current expansions, so setting the price too high will undermine their goals. Which, we’ve already seen with previous editions.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You're welcome. Many people are not aware of it. It is one of the best explanations and defenses of higher priced cosmetic items (for the gaming industry in general). I think Daybreak can sell multiple tiers of cosmetics ($139/$89 Collector Edition bundles and $8 Polymorph Wands). Limited edition items (once-in-a-lifetime offering) also create FOMO (fear of missing out) thus motivating consumers to spend their cash (immediately and/or at higher price points).

KEY TAKEAWAYS

• A Veblen good is a good for which demand increases as the price increases.
    • Veblen goods are typically high-quality goods that are made well, are exclusive, and are a status symbol.
    • Veblen goods are generally sought after by affluent consumers who place a premium on the utility of the good.
    • Examples of Veblen goods include designer jewelry, yachts, and luxury cars.
    • The demand curve for a Veblen good is upward sloping, contrary to a normal demand curve, which is downward sloping.
    • Most often, when the price of a Veblen good goes up, the demand goes up; when the price of a Veblen good goes down, the demand goes down.
    Source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/veblen-good.asp
  19. FrozenWater Augur

There is an additional mechanic in play for digital goods though: the ability (or not) to trade said items. None of your examples have the restriction.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ever heard of crypto-currencies (NFT)?

The examples were from the Investopedia site.