Question about charm pets

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by OldRodKS, May 5, 2021.

1. OldRodKS Elder

I've been playing around with charming, both on my bard and on my enchanter, and I've noticed something strange

I've been killing crocodiles/caiman in SRo. What I've noticed is that in a lot of cases, the pet is weaker than his opponent, even if the pet is a higher level. For instance, I charm a level 13 crocodile and send him after a level 11 caiman. I have to help the crocodile or he'll lose the fight in a lot of cases.

Are mobs not as strong as usual when they are charmed? Or is it something strange with the crocs?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Known change, fully announced at the time of the change. Won't look for the patch notes, was well over 10 years ago.

All charmed pets are weaker when charmed. That's just how it is.
  3. OldRodKS Elder

Ah, ok. I haven't played in quite a while, so it was new to me :)

Thanks!
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If you learn to swarm-charm, it won't really matter :)

Get a bunch of mobs, charm one, set it against another. As long as you stay far enough away, you can get all the mobs to attack the one you charmed. It will lose HPs very quickly. Now, break charm before it dies. Now, charm another and repeat (but DON'T have it attack the one with low HPs). Keep repeating, til you have all of them with low HP, except one. Then when you charm that one, it can kill a few of the others before it gets low on HPs. Now you just have some very low HP mobs, and you can nuke em down pretty easily.

This method lets most of your "DPS" come from the non-charmed mobs, so their DPS is not reduced.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yes. Charming was very OP so it was nerfed a very long time ago.

Reverse charming is a term used to describe when you kill your pet instead of the thing you are fighting. There are a lot of ways to reverse charm, which would include swarm charming.

In all cases, the highest XP is if you do not have a charm pet when you get a kill.

Swarm charming is pretty high risk, and harder to get the timing right. In swarm charming, you would pull multiple mobs, charm 1 and root the rest. Let those mobs DPS your pet down and keep those mobs rooted. Break charm before your pet dies and kill your pet. Charm another mob in the swarm and repeat. Swarm charming is very, very high DPS but you have a greater risk of multiple root breaks training yourself or too much DPS causing your pet to die = no XP. You can also reverse charm by rotating mobs. This you save a lot of mana but things move slower. Same idea as swarm charming, but less mobs doing DPS so lower risk.

I prefer to pull 2 mobs and kill both at the same time. Pet pet dies faster and deals less damage, so I DPS the second non-pet mob to maintain similar amounts of HP on both. When both mobs get down to about 3%, I break charm and kill both. Be careful not to let a mob blur because it gets super HP regen.

Nukes are more likely to break root than DoTs. Our strangle line has a nuke component at the beginning.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Snare everything and skip the roots. Much easier to do, and much less risk.

Druid tho, so obv can't do this for enchanters.
  7. OldRodKS Elder

Thanks for the help everyone :)