/chatfontsize 4 < what we need > /chatfontsize 5

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Niskin, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

I hadn't thought about it like that but I don't think Windows scaling is that simple. I certainly haven't noticed any lower resolution. Regardless, EQ doesn't lend itself to high resolution. Its graphics are pretty awful so you aren't going to get a better look by going to 4k or 2k. They don't have higher resolution textures so it's moot. The only thing 4k gives you is more screen real estate.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im thinking there are 2 ways window's scaling can function:
    1. It works at a framebuffer level and treats the content like a blackbox, so it doesn't do anything beyond simple pixel scaling, essentially the same as selecting a lower resolution in-game. But enhanced with some advanced post-filtering that makes it look "ok" in non-native res. On high DPI displays it could probably give acceptable results.
    2. It works with a knowledge of all the graphic-elements present and render each element with more accuracy, but with the positions and size as if it had a lower resolution. Like clearer fonts, polygon-edges and texturing, all rendered in the monitor's native resolution, basically doing the scaling control from the outside, but with no flexibility. This is possible if the gfx render was written in the way that the window's scaling algorithm expects...Im not sure it is that advanced though...but detecting polygon edges early in the render pipeline is probably realistic, some anti-aliasing-algorithms works that way...
    Either way, the optimal solution is to update the in-game UI-handling. :)
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Everquest is in desperate need of a UI update for 4k displays as more and more are playing on 4k displays (in my opinion).

The largest font size is /chatfontsize 8. This font will only save in the Main chat window though. For a long time folks kept telling me chatfontsize saves between log ins but it turns out it does not include size 8 unless it is the main chat window.

Each time I log in a use a social button then click on each window and click it changing the font to size 8.

But without custom UIs you can't do anything about the typing portion of the window as /chatfontsize will not affect it. Same with text on buttons (you can change the button size but again text on buttons are not affected).
    Stymie likes this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

I have never had /chatfontsize save between logins, in any chat window. If someone sends me a /tell and I'm on my 4K monitor, the very first thing I always do is hit my /chatfontsize 5 hotkey, otherwise I won't be able to read the message.
    Stymie likes this.
  5. Cannikin Elder

If you're on a high resolution monitor (e.g. 4K) using Windows 10 and the UI is extremely small, use these steps to force EQ to use your global Windows scaling.

Find your eqgame.exe in the EQ folder.
    Right click on it and go to "Properties".
    Go to the "Compatibility" tab and click "Change high DPI settings".
    Uncheck "Override high DPI scaling behavior".

EQ's scaling should now use the scaling % you set in Windows display settings. At 200% scaling everything should appear the same size as it did at 1080p if your display is 4K (3840x2160).
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

I said that but apparently no one believes. lol
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And so if you are using anything other then Everquest that you do not want enlarged you need to keep changing the scaling % correct? If EQ was updated no system changes would be needed.

Or am I misunderstanding this?

And is this not just changing the resolution?

Reading an article on this but not yet understanding what it is actually doing.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Reading this article it seems to say that changing DPI enlarges or shrinks everything. So isn't that similar to changing the resolution?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-change-dpi-scaling-level-displays-windows-10-a.html

Just trying to understand this because I think what most with 4k displays want (or maybe just me) is to have larger text but the same resolution. I also think folks would like a solution that doesn't change the size on everything on their system no matter what the program. So a solution internal to Everquest is what I am looking for.

Taking care of a sick puppy I will read up on this some more.
  9. Cannikin Elder

It is not the same as changing the resolution, it's dynamic rescaling. It is analogous to watching a 1080p video on Youtube on a 4K display, and being able to dynamically resize the viewing window, including fullscreen, without changing your display's resolution, or the size of anything else in the browser window.

In EQ, the UI elements have a very primitive fixed resolution and fixed coordinates implementation that does not natively scale in any way. I believe current implementation is optimized for 1080p. Changing the resolution or the window dimensions changes their relative sizes and relative positions. Unchecking "Override high DPI scaling behavior" means Windows will take over from EQ and use an upscaling algorithm to dynamically scale the EQ window up to a higher output resolution. This has the end result of making the UI elements larger (and sharper than simply zooming in), while maintaining relative size and position. Your graphically rendered field of view remains the same.

I am certain that more than 99% of all people using a 4K display are already using a global Windows scaling factor whether or not they realize it. Windows 10 sets it automatically when you first connect your display (check your Display Settings by right-clicking an empty spot on the desktop and selecting it). Using 100% scaling at 4K results in absurdly small icons, text, and UI elements, bordering on microscopic. This is unusable for the vast majority of people, and thus not the default. Windows actually "recommends" 300% scaling for my large 4K display (and 250% on my 15.6 inch laptop), but I set it to 200% because I like icons and UIs to appear the same relative size as when my display was native 1080p (for reference that is 10 icons per vertical column on the desktop).

This setting does not change display media (pictures, video, etc.). In addition, virtually all modern programs, particularly games, have their own native, smart scaling functionality, so this Windows setting has no effect on those except default Windows UI elements (like a top toolbar). And for those programs that are affected, if you don't want the scaling you can re-check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and set it to "Scaling performed by: Application".

Presumably whatever you have your Windows 10 scaled to is the UI size you generally prefer, so unchecking this setting will increase EQ's UI to the same relative size, rather than be forced to use EQ's primitive fixed resolution, fixed coordinates UI elements.

Best way to see what it does is to try it yourself. It takes less than a minute and is easily reverted if you don't like it.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

OMG just change the setting and try it. It's not permanent.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Umm I did.. and it did what I thought it would do. And I wanted info first because things like changing resolution or making things larger can mess up in game UI settings. So stuff it in a very nice and police way :)

Hope you are okay and not going to have an aneurism or something.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Tried it and it seems to have a similar effect to changing the resolution from what I could see as it enlarges everything not just text. What I am hoping daybreak will one day implement is the ability to increase the size of all text in the game and ability to save the settings.

I think the advantage of your method is you can increase the size of everything on the screen in smaller amounts then a resolution change would do.
  13. Cannikin Elder

Actually I would say the key difference between changing resolution and what this method does is that you can run in windowed mode, and resize the window however you want, even change the aspect ratio, and the UI elements will always stay the same physical size on your screen (their fixed resolution means Windows' scaling will always produce the same size). This means you can always have consistent size buttons/UI/text for any size or shape window you want. I use this functionality to run maximized windowed mode on my 4K display with a 1080p scaled UI for example.

Changing to a lower resolution either changes your window size (which accomplishes nothing as now everything, including the graphics, is super tiny), or forces you to play in fullscreen/not-windowed mode to get the size you want (which is a PITA for tabbing between windows).

Yes, the relative positions of UI elements will change, but that is the inevitable result of changing pretty much anything about the resolution or window size, thanks to EQ's primitive fixed coordinate system for the UI. So yeah, you will have to rearrange your UI once if you've already arranged it the way you like it in 4K, but you will never have to deal with small buttons/text/icons/chatbars again, they will always be the size you like them.

Someone who just moved from a lower resolution and doesn't like how everything becomes super tiny at 4K can keep everything arranged the same as they had before, while keeping the relative window size the same (e.g. maximized windowed mode).
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Yes, your inability to get your settings right is a major source of concern for me.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.