Aug priorities program

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by libre, May 3, 2021.

1. libre New Member

I got tired of looking at all of my augs every time a possible upgrade dropped. So I wrote this program that basically gives a number value to augs based on preferences. You run all your current augs through the program and write down the number value for each one. Then next time an aug drops you run the program and input the respective stats. Then you compare that to your list to see if it is an upgrade or not... and which slot would benefit most. I could have had the program track the aug values and such but wanted to keep the program a simplistic as possible.

Anyway, I've provided a version for int caster, melee dps and tank. You will need to download a compiler for basic in order to make an exe. Small tweeks could be made for WIS caster, etc. It works for any slot. Just enter "0" for stats not on aug being calculated.

As you can see in the program, value of stats is based on STA. Aka, how many STA would you give up for this or that stat... or to equal one STA anyway.

If you decide to use the program I would be interested to hear what class/level your toon is and what values you replaced in the program. I pull a lot with my mage so my values aren't necessarily good for most since I value stuff like AGI more than some might. And I'm definitely no expert on tanking or melee. I would still be interested in seeing alternative values and why if possible.

INT CASTER PROGRAM (Copy only from START:: to GOTO START)
    START::

PRINT "This program evaluates aug upgrade for INT caster."
    PRINT "Preferences currently are as following:"
    ac = .25
    agi = 3
    str = 0
    sta = 1
    hp = 0.0168
    mana = 0.0168
    ints = 0.469

PRINT "One MANA is worth "; mana; " STA"
    PRINT "One AGI is worth "; agi; " STA"
    PRINT "One INT is worth "; ints; " STA"
    PRINT "One AC is worth "; ac; " STA"
    PRINT "One HP is worth "; hp; " of one STA"
    PRINT
    INPUT "How much AC on the aug? "; ac2
    INPUT "How many hit points on the aug? "; hp2
    INPUT "How much MANA on the aug? "; mana2
    INPUT "How much STA on the aug? "; sta2
    INPUT "How much INT on the aug? "; ints2
    INPUT "How much AGI on the aug? "; agi2

ac3 = ac2 * ac
    hp3 = hp2 * hp
    mana3 = mana2 * mana
    sta3 = sta2 * sta
    ints3 = ints2 * ints
    agi3 = agi2 * agi

Worth = ac3 + hp3 + mana3 + sta3 + ints3 + agi3

PRINT
    PRINT "This aug has a value of "; Worth
    INPUT "Press enter to calculate another aug. Enter 1 to end... "; cont
    IF cont = 1 THEN END
    GOTO START

TANK AUG PROGRAM (Copy only from START:: to GOTO START)

PRINT "This program evaluates aug upgrade for tank."
    dex = 5
    ac = 10
    agi = 6
    str = 3
    sta = 1
    hp = 0.0171

PRINT "One DEX is worth "; dex; " STA"
    PRINT "One STR is worth "; str; " STA"
    PRINT
    INPUT "How much STR on the aug? "; str2
    INPUT "How much DEX on the aug? "; dex2

ac3 = ac2 * ac
    hp3 = hp2 * hp
    str3 = str2 * str
    sta3 = sta2 * sta
    agi3 = agi2 * agi
    dex3 = dex2 * dex

Worth = ac3 + hp3 + str3 + sta3 + agi3 + dex3

PRINT
    IF cont = 1 THEN END
    GOTO START

MELEE AUG PROGRAM (Copy only from START:: to GOTO START)

PRINT "This program evaluates aug upgrade for melee."
    dex = 9
    ac = 5
    agi = 6
    str = 4
    sta = 1
    hp = 0.0171

PRINT "One DEX is worth "; dex; " STA"
    PRINT "One STR is worth "; str; " STA"
    PRINT
    INPUT "How much STR on the aug? "; str2
    INPUT "How much DEX on the aug? "; dex2

ac3 = ac2 * ac
    hp3 = hp2 * hp
    str3 = str2 * str
    sta3 = sta2 * sta
    agi3 = agi2 * agi
    dex3 = dex2 * dex

Worth = ac3 + hp3 + str3 + sta3 + agi3 + dex3

PRINT
    IF cont = 1 THEN END
    GOTO START
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Sounds great. I use raidloot.com to check my augs. You can log in and upload your inventory file and it lists them and you can sort the list.
  3. Endorek Lorekeeper

I've got a spreadsheet that I do this with too, but more than the tool itself, I'm interested in what values people are using for each of the stats. Like for a tank: 1 ac = 15 hp = x hsta = y hagi etc.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A spreadsheet sounds like a much simpler way of doing this as it easy easy to edit and share with something like google sheets or open office.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  5. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I use a spreadsheet as well. I just give each stat (that I care about) a multiplier based on my priorities and then add those multiplied values together to create a "score" for each aug.
    [IMG]
    Fenthen and minimind like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Something else to think about is a spreadsheet can list every aug in the game which not only makes it a lot quicker to decide which aug to use but which aug to camp as well. With a setup like that you can have a plan of action ready for new expansion as soon as the info from beta is released.
  7. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

that's very similar to what i do. i have an imaginary ranking based off a formula i use to achieve my desired goal and numerically rank them. as my priorities shift over the years, i just alter the formula slightly and presto it recalculates.

i've also been tracking my stat changes and some other details for a few years because it amuses me. i have tabs for each type of augment that i track, and rank each tab so i know i'm using the things that align best with my goals and helps me make decisions. for me, its easier to do it this way to track the numerous details and determine if i want to camp something or not.

The idea of a program to help those that dont know or dont have the skills on how to do a spreadsheet is a good one, so kudos to the creator. Otherwise, using the advanced sort in EQresources is a great place to start.
    Syylke_EMarr and minimind like this.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

Thank god I'm not alone here. I have spreadsheets for augs for my main (Lilbraen), wife's main, and our shared alt. That's Type 7/8s and type 5s.

It took a while to dial in my weighting, but I got it where I want it now.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

https://www.raidloot.com/items?name...&source=&prestige=Include&order=HP&view=Table

Just Type 7:
    https://www.raidloot.com/items?name...&source=&prestige=Include&order=HP&view=Table

Just Type 5:
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If you can't quickly tell at a glance what is better, its a good bet that the difference between them is so small as to not make any difference.
    RPoo, Duder, Szilent and 1 other person like this.
  11. libre New Member

For me, the issue was mainly a matter of speed. Way back, when I seen a new aug drop I would have to look at all of my aug slots to do the comparison you suggest. To speed that up I wrote all of the main stats down on a piece of paper so I could do those comparisons faster. Then later to speed that up more I went through and ranked each one in comparison to the other... a kind of 1, 2, 3, 4... system. So, when the new aug droped I could just look at the worst aug and compare to it. That became a pain though since once you put that new aug in you had to place it in your list and then change the ranking for everything worse than it.
    That then evolved into what I have now. Where all I have to do is run the aug through the program once to get a value for it. Then put that on the list. I put any new aug that drops through the program and at a glance can see if the number is higher than anything on my list. It isn't perfect but since the program is so simple the process is extremely fast compared to how I did it before.
  12. libre New Member

I thought about doing basically this where the program tracked slots, stats, etc. Then when you ran the program you just typed the name of the toon and it would pull up the file for that toon which maintained what type toon it was (tank, melee, etc) and all of the aug stats, etc. Then it would compare the new aug stats to that list and tell you which one to replace if the new one is better... then update the list based on your choice.

I kind of like having everything written down though on paper. Which is why I just went with the simply program that calculates the value. That said, I may still write a new program that did all of this... just for fun. Of course, using a 3rd party database or spreadsheet would be doing basically the same thing... probably much better since it would be a nice interface, etc.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you want speed in checking that is why you keep it as a spreadsheet so you don't have to manually do any checks. If you take it a step further and list every possible aug drop and also keep track of your currently equipped augs it becomes trivial to know which augs you should be looking for before they even drop.
  14. Szilent Augur

Those stat weightings are effing wild
  15. Tucoh Augur

Here's my gear spreadsheet, the 78Aug tab has the uhh, augs. The spreadsheet is a mess because it's for me and not public consumption so don't trust anything on it. The equations are pretty basic without much thought to them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...K5lXp5lL9AZ8eaTA9X9-nl2xlFQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Related unpopular opinion: the number of augs in each expansion is too high. I upgrade augs so much with minimal gains for the upgrades that I don't even get excited about the new augs anymore. It just feels like a chore. I wish each expansion had like, 4 type 7/8 augs. Same with type 5 augs.
  16. FranktheBank Augur

Isn't there only like... 6? slot 7/8s and 1 slot 5? Droppable in CoV at least. 3 slot 7/8 and the slot 5 drop from missions.
  17. Tucoh Augur

I haven't played CoV yet and don't know the lore groups but if they've dropped non-lore type5s from CoV, that's great.

Looks like more than 6 slot 7/8s though https://items.eqresource.com/itemsearch.php?searchid=362721
  18. Fenthen aka Rath

Yep, I have a spreadsheet myself, and also provide a "value" for a specific character that contain stats that I value most. Each character/class ranks differently depending on their role, ie: AC, HP, Dex, minor Sta for my Paladin, HP, Sta, minor AC for my cleric, so on.
  19. libre New Member

Oh, I agree that would probably be better. However, I like having it written down. Just personal preference. It isn't that much writing. I still have to load the program for new augs that drop but it is super fast since a small basic program like this opens instantly, etc.

I agree though that if I was actually aug hunting it would be better to have a database of all of the augs, etc. However, I seldom do aug hunting. Usually I'm still looking for gear drops mainly or doing hunter, etc. The augs are usually a bonus.
  20. libre New Member

Do you mean "wild" in the sense that they don't make sense? If so I would love to see your recommendations. Especially for melee and tank. I seldom play those toons so I could definitely be way off on my weights. For mage I know my weights aren't normal, but I play mage enough to know what works best for my play style. Granted, my play style probably isn't best either...lol. I would still be interested in any mage weights in case there is something I haven't thought of.
    Btw, my tank in question is a warrior and my melee is a zerker.