Wizard Love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Its not like one good ability means that another ability must be made bad to compensate.
    There are plenty of classes that have more strengths than weaknesses. It all depends on what role the devs have in mind for wizards.
    Nerfs and buff isn't a zero sum game. :)
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Ashigaru Augur

(Disclaimer - I only play a wizard alt)

As a simple, rough fix, couldn't the Destructive Adept AA be changed to considerably increase spell damage? At present I think the top rank is 10% - if that was changed to 60% how much of the problem would it fix vs. causing other problems?
  3. kizant Augur

By itself that change wouldn't make a big difference. It's just not a strong ability for us.
    Mongol311 likes this.
  4. Kelset Elder

For those who haven't read through the 14 pages of threads and are discussing one-off changes, there was a good exchange between Kizant and Beimeith on page 5 that was fairly comprehensive. I didn't capture Kizant's post in the above reply but encourage everyone to look at the exchange as a starting point for changes.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

10) should be composite, not vortex
    11) should be vortex made to only work on wiz spells
    Kelset likes this.
  6. shiftie Augur

15 pages of random ideas

1) Increase base damage
    2) worry about everything else after base damage is scaled

The problem will persist with any gimmick after the novelty of the gimmick fades. Look at what has happened with twin cast. Gimmick turned core ability and on a long enough timeline has lost it’s oomph
  7. Kelset Elder

I think that's the point of a number of these posts. Remove or properly adjust previous "gimmicks" made specifically for wizards that has led them to stagnate when they were not scaled, morphed into core when they are not, or have conflicts with other class abilities.
    Specifically (in my view):
    * Align ADPS timers with other classes
    * Wizard should be on top of innate crits
    * Resists should align with other classes on base spells
    * Passive DPS AA's at a minimum should be equal to other caster classes
    * Burst DPS spells, abilities and AA's should put us at or near the top of the dps food chain
    * Adjust base spell damage across all spell lines, after the above changes, to keep us aligned with the wizard class "vision" of making things go boom without overpowering raids or group content

But, at this point, if all we got is a base spell damage increase, I wouldn't complain.
  8. kizant Augur

Twincast hasn't lost anything and nobody has been suggesting improvements to gimmicks.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would like it, if our AA-forces could get an increased range, so that it matches our other spells...:)
    Yinla likes this.
  10. kizant Augur

Ok maybe Jumbur is posting about gimmicky things.
    -----Cinexa----- and Jumbur like this.
  11. johncritons Journeyman

You guys must suck as wizards cause im always top DPsin my ports on people manaburning fools with my TL!!!!.
    kizant likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There are a few minor tweeks to adjust a few AAs so they use range foci, but priority should be getting wizzys a boost to get our DPS where it should be.

There are a few different ways they could do it, just hope it is sooner rather than later.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, it is just a minor nitpick, and not really related to class balance. DPS is what matters! :D

That said, Im sure they can just increase the base range for forces, without fiddling with foci.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The foci is fine, just needs force's, swarm pets etc to be able to use it so the range is the same as spells. It is the range foci after all that allows us to be further away to cast spells.
  15. kizant Augur

They can't make force AAs focusable otherwise they start working with things we don't want. They did try it before and it was terrible. A normal nuke with group focus has a range of like 254 and AA nukes are at 250. That's pretty close as a compromise. I can understand them not wanting to make the normal the same as raid focus.
  16. SonOfABiscuit Augur

Are any Devs listening to this? It's stupid how bad wizards are now. Please just tell us that (1) yes, we hear ya, and we're working on it, or; (2) suck it up buttercup, deal with it.

Some response would be good.
  17. Eridelis New Member

As someone who joined during PoP and played for many years including high end raiding I took a long break and did not play for many years, came back levelled up to L115, fully group CoV geared and bought key AAs. I am not enjoying it.

To say I am embarrassed to play this class at the moment is an understatement, how it's acceptable for group geared SKs to out DPS me *whilst tanking* I can't understand. A mob looks at me and I'm dead. I can only just keep up with classes that I don't even consider to be DPS as a group geared player.

Compared to real DPS classes I might as well not even bother and if people have all their merc AAs and gear in most cases can swap me out for a merc and not even notice much difference.

Please help!
    Mongol311 likes this.
  18. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Page 10.
    Yinla likes this.
  19. shiftie Augur

While your post has merit to some of the sentiments.

You lost me at swap out a merc and not notice a difference. If you are producing merc level dps it lends some credibility to the sk who is doing more dps than you. Just being honest.
  20. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Thanks for clarifying how MB actually plays out in practice. I agree that it is a red herring rather than what many people that have never played a wizard think it is. I have the feeling that some people think that it is still like what it was briefly in the beginning that originally got it nerfed. How a team of wizards could practically insta-kill some raid targets. This was the point of the original nerf to make it a buff, of coruse, and is another factor limiting its desirability. Since the buff prevents other wizards from landing MB, that 16M max damage is limited to one wizard for however long the buff lasts on the mob (up to 2 minutes), whereas regular spells and abilities are not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.