Returning player. Where to go?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Uthor, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Riou EQResource

Not super familiar with FV's, but for live servers they have been going for 22 years so most long time people are gonna have a lot of platinum, and there haven't been any platinum sinks in like 10 years or something so it's fairly easy to build a lot once you make it to end game
  2. quakedragon Augur

I think the developers attempted to put in a plat sink, but it ended up affecting newplayers instead. One of them being Spells, how much they cost. When you start buying lvl 70 and higher spells they start being 1-2K plat each. 1-2K plat my not seem a lot, but to a brand new player, it's a hella lot, especially if you want 5 of the spells, thats 5-10K just for 1 level. Meanwhile the veteran players they probably have spell research maxed, they probably know someone with spell research, they go buy the parchment for 100plat, make the RK2 version cheaper than what the vendor sells the normal version of the spell. Or they have alt currency from old expansion super easy to obtain, just getting the ally faction is time consuming, they go buy the RK2 version easy.

Just saying there is a plat sink but its for newplayers. I remember watching someone stream at level 110, I think he got a PL or something, so he was buying his spells and gearing up in bazaar, I remember him saying whoa this spell so expensive, he didn't buy he went to vendor, "whoa this spell so expensive!". Sure its a temporary thing, just buy once and done, but for newplayers, we valuing our plat. Every level means going back to broke because of spell cost. This is starting from around level 70, not even end game.

Sure newplayers make enough to afford spells, but have to think about gear too, which aint cheap in bazaar. There's people who trying to milk newplayers of their plat, that and defiant gear isn't always dropping like candy, and people don't spend long in those levels, so makes sense it aint dirt cheap. Some people may say, don't worry about gear until end game, well, 1- 70 or 1-90 wearing gloomingdeep gear with some defiant gear from drops while leveling sufficient or something needs upgrading?
    Riou likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I don't think spells are a plat sink. Most spells can also be obtained thru the original questing. No plat needed. Just time. And sometimes the RK II is easier to get then the base spell. You can skip non important ones, not every spell is needed and sometimes it is better to wait till the next level version.

Levels 66-70 can get in Omens
    Level 71-80 RK II random drops in TSS
    80-85 in SOD
    86-90 in HOT

Most all are available cheap in baz if you know what to look for: Nebulus dream fragments, Trade-in gems etc. If your just looking at the spell itself then sellers will charge much more.

Sometimes it not about how you make money but how you save money.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Many older expac trade-in gems are available in Bazaar for very reasonable prices. And, many times, each turn-in gets you two spells, so keep that in mind, as well. If the spells are 1k each, and you get the gem for 3-4K, it's only costing twice as much, per spell.

Almost every rank 2 I have on my mains are from trade-in gems I bought in Bazaar. For the ones where I can't find reasonable trade-in gems, I just make due with the rank 1 spell. It's not THAT big of a difference.

And not that many of the expacs require you to do faction to use the trade-ins. SoF, SoD (no trade-ins, you just need faction to access the rank 2 vendor), HoT, and I think that may be it.

For the newest expacs, you don't even need the expac. You get the trade-in gem in the Bazaar, and just click it to choose your spell. Previously, you had to bring it to the quest giver (in an expac zone, so you needed the expac).
    CatsPaws likes this.
  5. quakedragon Augur

Yeah its what you know, thing is newplayers don't know it. So they end up buying from PoK which spells are expensive to them.

I assume they look at this, thats if they even know which site to use.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Progression_Through_The_Darkened_Sea
    It says nothing about rk2 spells, even more lookup, and knowing where to look, which they probably have no idea. So they end up buying the spells off of the vendor.

https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/The_Darkened_Sea#Spells
    Fanra seems legit.
    I'm recommending that newplayers use Fanra instead of allakhazam.
    Allakhazam is like reading that 500 page book, fanra is like learn it quick for dummies 10 pages.
  6. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

OP mentioned progressing through the game and limited play time so I thought I would throw out the achievement system and the Hero's Journey in particular as a starting point. If you will be playing alone a lot and just grinding XP to level is not your preferred play, going through some of the achievements can be a fun diversion and you do end up really exploring the content.

I took a break near the end of Planes of Power came back in Omens of War and did the grind to catch up but got bored again. I poked in a few times over the years but the Hero's Journey gave me a new perspective on limited play time. I worked through a number of things on the Hero's Journey and explored a lot of the content I missed and did much of it while still in the level range of the expansions. Somewhere after TSS, they started expansion specific achievements which are more or less similar to the Hero's Journey.

There were times I broke off the journey and just did xp grinds as I would determine I needed to balance out my level and AA and hunt for some specific items. You do end up leveling without giving it much thought and gear and platinum do accumulate.

If you do expect considerable solo play, I would definitely recommend a self sufficient class as you can do a lot with just the addition of a merc. Definitely play something you can enjoy though and maybe try out boxing if your preferred class is not as strong solo/molo. There is a lot to catch up on over the span of the game but if you take it in stride and just work on each problem as it comes it can be part of the fun.
  7. Uthor Journeyman

So

So research is still actually useful. That is good to know. Yeah I didn't really look at spell prices at that high of level yet. I can see that being a lot. So I guess it's just do research on trying to farm rk2 spells above 70 then to help save plat for gear.
    Yeah I was just looking at the Hero's Journey and it looks like a lot of it has some decent gear upgrades while you level as well. Which is kind of cool.
  8. Riou EQResource

Finding a family style guild might help as well with people having extras of old stuff, or general helping
  9. Uthor Journeyman

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out which server to go on to find more family style guilds. Most everything I see posted in forums has been TLP servers and raiding guild. Very select few were family/casual guilds. The guild finder in game doesn't really seem to be up to date much either.
  10. quakedragon Augur

Yep my issue too. It seems like nobody /ooc or /1 (/1 general chat) "hey family guild recruiting". I don't see any guilds recruiting to be honest. This is on Live server.
  11. Laerkai New Member

https://almarsguides.com/EQ/

http://www.eqmaps.info/

1. Almar's Guides and Brewall's Maps are essential to the modern EverQuest experience. His Ring of Scale guide is still relevant as far as good zones and appropriate level ranges.
    2. If you don't have the time and don't want the pressure, don't play on TLPs. They really are fast moving and you can get left behind easily.
    3. Include a real tank in your box crew. Even Almar cautions against trying to use tank mercs after the 60s and 70s.
    4. When you hit level 70, buy some Remnants of Tranquility from the bazaar and then buy your gear from https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=50309 you can buy the gear specific augments from https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=50306 both in plane of tranquility
    5. At level 75, CotF and TBM Heroic Adventures become some of the best experience/rewards around until 105. Best part is that if you have left over currency when you no longer need it, you can sell it or give it away to someone who needs it!
    5. Try to have fun. Racing to max level without outside help turns quickly into a marathon that takes months of steady work. Be sure to visit the places you want to see again, and maybe some of the places you wanted to see but never did.
    6. Remember to /overseer when you hit level 85. This is a major help in reaching the level cap.
    Uthor likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not true, Marks of Valor (CotF currency) are not tradable.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Correct.
    You can buy the tier 1 armor items and those are tradeable but that's all.

TBM Currency from group content is tradeable though, as was the SoD & Underfoot Currency.
    Tatanka and Uthor like this.
  14. Vidahr New Member

Not sure what server you're on. I recently made a return to FV and there are plenty of guilds recruiting. Look in the forums here or on Discord. It took me a few minutes to find and be accepted into a casual/family guild.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

FV has a lot of players.

Go to the Guild recruitment forum, and see how many posts are there for Tunare (for example). Pretty much none. And that's not even considered one of the low pop servers.

I don't regularly monitor General on Tunare, but when I do, I don't ever see any recruitment posts. But there are quite a few active guilds, so I guess recruitment is done only through word-of-mouth, in groups and such.

So, yes, server makes a huge difference.
  16. Poppinfresh Elder

Bristlebane has two large guilds that broadcast recruitment messages in /ooc in high-traffic zones throughout peak hours, usually a couple times per hour. Oftentimes one guild will post, followed by the other, and they can get spammy at times, but it's whatever, they're both longstanding and established guilds. I'm not in either guild so I won't recruit for them, but trust me, if you're on BB and you hang out in places like PoK or CR long enough, you'll see them.
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

@OP - There is literally this coming next month.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...tlebane-be-praised-mischief-is-coming.274654/

New TLP, FV style trades, and a new random loot feature, that will potentially reduce the high cost of rare drops, since they can drop on any mob of the same level range. Should also help open up rare spawn camps for that same reason.

I paid for a year sub almost exactly a year ago, but hardly played, for a number of reasons. First, getting my MS under control. Second, well I didn't like either of the TLPs that launched much. Thirdly, I never made social connections, but that's because I wasn't logging on due to the MS. And lastly, I just REALLY hate the schlogging through the low levels in early content.

I have a month to decide if I want to resub but I have to admit, the new ruleset does sound intriguing.
  18. Vidahr New Member

I was told Lunacy Unbound on Tunare is pretty nice, they have a website and Discord. I am unsure if the other guy is on Tunare.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, that's the one post in Guild Recruitment in the last year from Tunare, LU.

As far as I know, they're the top raiding guild on the server. So, of course, they recruit.

But, I thought the post was about family/casual guilds. I've see one post in Guild Recruitment in the last several years, and no General chat messages, on Tunare. It's not a dead server, by any means, but it's very quiet as far as guild recruitment goes.
  20. Vidahr New Member

I hopped on Tunare just to see what was poppin' and I went to PoK and just started whispering people with guild tags and I found one! E'ci is their name, lots of people on, seems casual enough. Open raid nights.