How to TLP with a new Puppy!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chuuk, May 3, 2021.

1. Chuuk Augur

I need some advice from the EQ nation.

I recently read about Mischief server and I'm overly intrigued. I want in.

The problem is...my wife and I just got a new puppy 4 weeks ago and, as many of you might know, these little buggers require a lot of attention. The little man is 13 weeks old now.

So - my question is - has anyone got any methods for how to get in some TLP time while dealing with the little pup?
  2. code-zero Augur

set up your socials, hot bars and key binds as efficiently as possible and let the pup sit in your lap. Pups can sleep in your lap while you play
    Chatoyan likes this.
  3. Vindaven Elder

You got it easier than those of us with actual human children, believe me! Haha!

For a puppy... Spray your wires with anti-chew spray that tastes bad so the puppy does not teethe on them.

If not potty trained, you'll have to take em' out a bit. Be sure your group knows when you go afk.

See if your wife can help take over most puppy duties for a bit. Offer to cover something that she normally does for a couple weeks before the server comes out (Laundry? Dishes?).
  4. jeskola pheerie

Use one of them cheater programs to play EQ for you while you spend time with your puppy, it's all the rage
  5. Elite_raider Augur

6 box, so that you can afk when ever you need during the day or night :)
  6. Chuuk Augur

Haha - appreciate the responses! Unfortunately, my pup is a German Shepherd so even at 13 weeks, lapdog isn't really a possibility...dude is pushing 35lbs already!

As for the wife taking over...I'm working on it, but she's not a huge fan of the dog as it likes to nip her. I think I'm definitely going to try and go ape spraying everything with apple bitters to try and deter him from biting up my electronics.

I think step 1 is that I'm just going to rock a necro so I can FD when he poops on my carpet and just solo my way up.
    Gheed likes this.
  7. Knarf New Member

Fenced in yard ftw ...
  8. Chuuk Augur

Ugh, I wish...the ole' ball and chain won't have it.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As an Ogre I would recommend a nice stew is the best way to "deal with" a puppy.

Anything else is either a nefarious plot by your other half to take you away from EQ by way of distraction & diversion techniques or you did it to yourself.

Oh & buy a Muzzle, while puppies often nip as a normal behaviour German Shepherds are known to do this more intensely than most other breeds, they have a strong prey drive & are herders by breeding in fact they are notorious for nipping/biting, they are not called "Land Sharks" for nothing.

You should seriously look to do some proactive training to make their instinctive tendency to nip you & your family be discouraged - this is a necessity with this breed, bad habits are easily slipped into & there is a lot of bad advice out there on how to do this.
    Things like grabbing them by the muzzle after they've nipped are actually counter-productive for example as this can make them bite defensively, not something you want from a normally fearless breed.
  10. Falafel Lorekeeper

Setting timers for when you need to do things, and clearly laying out what is expected between the 2 of you, is your best bet.

Also crating puppies is not cruel, as long as it's not the majority of the day.
  11. TLP Addict Augur

Watch Bobbybicks stream for tips.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Someone in the neighborhood probably wants one.
  13. Nolrog Augur

What, no picture for attention?
    Xhartor likes this.
  14. Lejaun Augur

Simple: Don't sit at your computer 24/7. Play EQ at max of a few hours at a time. Make sure you take every chance during mana stops to take the puppy potty, play with it, etc.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Lejaun Augur

Crating puppies for a reasonable amount of time is one of the best ways to house train them, as it is against a dogs nature to defecate or urinate in its space.

However, if you don't take them out enough and leave them in the crate too long, it does the opposite and habituates them into thinking its OK to do so.
    SunDrake likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

One of my dogs is crate trained. She has all her meals in there, but she doesn't sleep in it. Every once in a while I can't find her and I look over at the crate, and she is just laying in there, door open.
    SunDrake likes this.
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

I will basically be crated for the entire launch session, so why would my dog or child expect any different?
    Corvo likes this.
  18. Xandollf New Member

I'd say pick one, but you already have the pup and if you're posting here you're likely going to play no matter what advice you get. So I guess play in moderation is what you should do. Be proactive with the puppy, not reactive. This pertains to potty training and regular training. If your spouse isn't onboard, that means you probably promised you'd do more than you're willing to do, which is unfortunate for both them and the pup.
  19. Koniku Elder

You claim to have a puppy but since you have not provided proof of such in the form of photographs I believe you are being dishonest. I would love to be proven wrong but for now I have to assume the worst.
  20. Chyron Lorekeeper

If your dog is vaccinated, take a really long morning walk and a really long after dinner walk. During the day, take 2-3 set times for bathroom breaks and to get some energy out. Make it a habit and the indoor accidents will disappear. The long walks will lead to naps, which leads to EQ.

If not vaccinated, first get it vaccinated, but until then, do some walks in the yard or train it to fetch.

Necro sounds perfect. Join groups when the pup is occupied or with the wife, solo when you're on duty.
    code-zero likes this.