A Community Update from EG7’s CEO and Founder, Robin Flodin

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Aethelric New Member

Great update IMO and not just saying that because he's sunk 1k+ hours into a Total War campaign.
  2. Veronious New Member

3 Things I want to see:

1. Community round table on EQ, and what players want (not forum crusaders, the people who spend time in game)

2. Monthly Updates on future projects and changes so we don't have knee jerk reactions

3. What's next for the Everquest IP, will we get EQ Remastered? EQ3? EQ Mobile?

All in all I'm pretty excited that the game is finally owned by a company that wants to listen to the players, and allow us to have some say in the direction.
    Bardy McFly and PCSS like this.
  3. Goodkitty Augur

I'm pretty sure this is proof we're on our last run of EQ or it will be considered a "finished" project.
    This is the same up beat ceo/upper management spew before a storm of "big changes" mark my words.

"Many of these games, while successful and continually supported, have had their unique challenges. Many of these challenges are long standing and important, but due to their scope or other situations, haven’t been feasible to address. All of us want this to change."
    PCSS, Moege and Herf like this.
  4. Herf Augur

He didn't mention DarkPaw once. His post reminds me of announcements at companies where I've worked where spin offs or downsizing subsequently happened. Hopefully not but...
    Moege likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

He touches the subject of darkpaw in the video, 10 minutes in.
    He also admits he played EQ1 back when he was 16 year old.

In short: Darkpaw is in charge of EQ, and all news regarding EQ goes through the usual channels.
    Sounds like he is happy about the direction darkpaw is taking regarding EQ, and that he is there to help them improve the game.

I think It is up to Jchan, to inform us further...
    Jchan told us in the producer's letter, that there were new additions to the dev team, that they were training...

Personally, Im optimistic...:)

Its certainly more promising than that Russian billionaire that got on USA's naughty list...:p
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If that was your takeaway then you need help with that chronic case of Pessimism you suffer from.

Did actually.

If that was your takeaway then you need help with that chronic case of Pessimism you suffer from.

With EverQuest at 30% of the income that Darkpaw makes EBITDA (as of sep 2020) it is the most profitable game in their stable, you don't stop caring for the Golden Goose of the company and the EQ IP is still strong.

EQ just gained 6 new devs/coders (a net positive of 3 after losing 3 in 2020) as part of a re-investment into the game that was planned out prior to the purchase by EG7.

You can take the "Chicken Little" glasses off.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

And to quote from the letter

"Over the last few months, I have been busy at work getting up to speed, spending a lot of time with Daybreak teams and also listening/reading/absorbing the community feedback across all the games. As you can imagine, given the long history, there's a lot to digest, but I am making good progress and have learned a ton and continue to do so."

and

"I also understand that implementing significant solutions takes time and does not usually happen overnight. Our plan is to first identify some of the most pressing pain points you -- the Daybreak community -- are experiencing today and to determine the right course for immediate action. This includes implementing systems, adding tools, resources, or people where needed, and continuing the crucial work that has already begun at the studios."

I am pessimistic at times, but I see no reason to be pessimistic based on either the letter or video.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I am "pretty sure" you're wrong about the last run of EQ. EQ continues to make money while many other IPs are not. Investors want ROI. They could give a flying honk what IP it is or what engine it's running.

Investors want to know:
    - Is it making money? If yes....
    - - Can it make more money? If yes....
    - - - What improvements are needed and what is the ROI on them?

I am not certain what any of this means for EverQuest. Nor is anyone, EG7 included. EQ is currently making money so my instinct as an investor would be to continue allowing it to make money. The problem is that EverQuest makes too much money. It isn't failing and it's not in danger of failing (yet). Investors are FAR more likely to let EverQuest ride until it is in trouble, THEN make improvements or sell it off.

The X factor here is that EG7 is helmed by a gamer. And EverQuest is a fairly healthy IP. Building an empire requires a solid foundation. EverQuest and other Daybreak IPs could be that foundation.

Again, what do EverQuest's wish list cost? And does that translate into more profit?

I feel pretty strongly that, with some support and guidance, EverQuest could be THE hottest IP in EG7s portfolio. It's merely a matter of where they think the highest returns are.
  10. Stymie Pendragon

If the new owners are actually reading this thread, I would really like them to work on implementing ui scaling, and other ui improvements.

@50 with an ultra wide 1440p monitor it's just too small to be playable for me.
    /shrug
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Mmm, this Boston Market Corn Bread is really good!
    Nennius likes this.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

FIX LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG
    Fix Login servers

and yes, as we age (it is a 20+ year old game so many of us are now 40+ 50+ 60+ even 70+ year old players) we need better scaling of the UI.. All parts of it. the hotbars are woefully anachronistic.
  13. Goodkitty Augur

I think I have read like 5 CFO posts tonight on this thread. It's amazing how much money EQ is making!
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Your snark is just straight-up ignorance speaking because you don't have to take the forum users word for anything, the information I gave is publicly available:

https://www.enadglobal7.com/wp-cont...entation-Dec-2020-Acquires-Daybreak-Games.pdf

But if you're too lazy to look for yourself or even to click the link above, here's the part I was referring to:

[IMG]
  15. Vidahr New Member

It's funny because didn't they just dump a bunch of money into server tech? It's been way more stable on FV recently. Hope it stays that way.
    PCSS likes this.
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

AOL and Yahoo sold today for $5 Billion.

EQ and related games were picked up for $300 million

jfysa
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

EUREKA! That document has some amazingly important info for all the forum questers here:

YTD bookings (as of 9/30/2020) of $11.5m
    82k monthly active users (don't forget to divide by 6! :D)
    66k subscribers

Also interesting to see that although EQ is their most profitable game, DCUO brings in more than twice as much money (but probably has to give a chunk of it to DC). Hope they don't lose that license!

I think the graph on pg. 18 is interesting, since it appears to show (if I understand it) EQ does a good job of bringing in new players and converting them to paying customers. But I'd bet real money that is only because of returning or existing players creating new accounts to play on TLP servers (because who wants to risk their main account on a TLP?).

But I wonder if the investors were aware of that when they bought it?;)

And EQ is at the bottom end of revenue per playing customer (barely above the price of an expansion; only a little more than 2 months of sub).

Also, they appear to have a license deal with Marvel?!
    PCSS likes this.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

How many known Lifetime subscriptions were sold? (just so we can subtract them from the Subscriber number)
  19. Elyssanda Bardbrain

oh yeah, bring back account to account transfers. please.
  20. Mediik Augur

Ya, H1Z1 probably has the most upside for growth which is why he talks about it so much. -> Stockholders