The future of EverQuest

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Elvierian, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Elvierian New Member

Jagex announced the release of MMORPG RuneScape on IOS and Android mobile platforms. Not to be confused with Old school RuneScape that has been on mobile for several years now. The game is free to play with purchasable options for extended content. Basically it is the exact same business formula used by Daybreak Games Company Inc. I know there has been seven EverQuest versions for mobile devices over the years and they all failed to make a profit. That was the past, today mobile devices have just as much processing power and more than triple the storage as desktop pc’s had in 2000. RuneScape was originally released around the same time as EverQuest for PC and Mac and yet has been available to play on mobile devices for years now as Old School RuneScape. Just a few days ago, Jagex announced the release of the modern version of RuneScape for mobile iOS and Android. Daybreak really needs to revamp their mobile app policies or face being left behind in the dust by the competition. Clearly there is money to be made in the mobile platform games. If Daybreak Games really want to be the front runner again in MMORPG’s, they need better get off their duffs and start producing mobile products. The best way for Daybreak Games to get ahead of their competitors is to take advantage of mobile devices abilities to submerge the players in Virtual Reality. How great would it be to play EverQuest in Virtual Reality. Imagine running around a three dimensional Norath in first person view. To fight a MOB that is virtually right in front of you, to sneak behind someone for a deviating Backstab. To actually turn your head left or right and see members of your guild/party/raid party fight next to you. To see your sword and shield in front you as if you really had them. As far as I am aware, no MMORPG has a real-time VR game. The Tech already exists to make this possible. First, a proven game that has a large player base. Second, mobile devices that have the processing power and storage space for the game. Third, current generation of PS or XBox game controllers to be used in place of keyboard and mouse. Fourth, servers. And finally five, people willing to pay for a VR version of EverQuest even if it was just the original release or maybe the Ruins of Kunark release.

To the powers that be at Daybreak Games Inc. get off your butts and get a VR version of EverQuest to a mobile platform. There is a lot money for you to make here. If you won’t do it, one of your competitors will. As you know, the one who come to market first, makes the most money.

I hope this post will inspire someone at Daybreak to take another look at mobile gaming and see the vast potential it has for the future of the EverQuest franchise.

Your humble servant,
    Elvierian Oakenheart
    19Delta_Gunner likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

RSOS works on mobile due to a very simple UI

2021 EQ UI on a mobile device is just a completely stupid thing to even consider.

I have myself said on plenty of occasions that an "oldskool EQ" for Mobile, which was it's own game & completely unconnected to the current live game, and which had its own servers & dev team etc would probably generate a lot of interest and a lot of money and several others posters at least have probably said similar things.

A new EQ for mobile would require a substantial investment, a completely standalone codebase & it would not be actual EQ it would be an emulation of it since very little of the original code even remains it would have to all be reverse-engineered - even if the current live team had some crossover with the team managing a mobile game to cut down on costs it's still a risk.
  3. Elvierian New Member

I don’t think you are understanding what I am saying. The game exits now, the mobile devices exist right now, needed servers exist right now. The tech that will be used to replace keyboards and mouses exist right now. The headset that your smart phone will be plugged in to exist right. Now the game need to be in first person shooter mode. The only changes that would need to be done is split the phone screen for the three dimensional look. The only programming that needs to be done is to connect those Xbox and PS controllers into the game thru the mobile hardware. This can be done using the original EverQuest release from 1998-99. Right now, Daybreak is living in the past they are stuck their. The next leap for EverQuest is to be played in Virtual Reality MMORPG.
    Any preexisting version of the EverQuest franchise.could be used to demonstrate this proof of concept. Desktop PCs have been slowing down in sales world wide now for several years. More and more people and businesses are moving to mobile devices as their preferred internet ready devices due to the small size of the devices, the longer battery run time of these devices, the processing power and storage availability on these devices. What I am suggesting will have a minimal cost impact because everything has already been made. Daybreak just needs to bring it all together and get the Xbox/PS game controllers to work with the game. Every thing that will make this work is on the shelves already. It just about getting them to work together so people can completely submerge themselves in to the game in a way that was not available during the initial release of EverQuest.
  4. Elvierian New Member

5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What you failed to understand is that I did understand and then disagreed with you on the basis that the modern UI is far too cumbersome to be sensible to use on a Mobile version of the existing Everquest game.

You also failed to understand how to use paragraphs it would appear.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would prefer they focused more on improving EQ1 on the pc platform. Chasing the next big thing, rather than improving what they already have, is the mistake that (almost) gave us EQNEXT, at the cost of dev-resources for EQ1.

I think this thread would fit better in veterans lounge rather than player support.
    Nennius and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I miss EQWorld....
  8. Elvierian New Member

. My apologies to you. I wasn’t aware that the proper use of paragraphs was such a delicate and fragile subject for you. I also took for granted that you may have played EQ from the start, the later half of 1999. The original EQ user interface was very simple, practical and would work well with a console controller.
    I take full responsibility for the misunderstanding. I should have not assumed you were able to connect the topic of the original EQ release and it’s original UI being modified for a VR MMORPG. I sometimes give people more credit than they deserve. Rest assured, that will be corrected.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am most definitely among a majority of human beings that do not enjoy the "wall of text" approach, a significant number of people will simply refuse to read anything presented as such, I am beginning to wish I was one of them.

My apologies to you if you felt offended by that assertive stance.

I did, and it was changed in Velious that was an achingly long time ago now, and that old interface does not exist in the code now, but more than just the limitations of the old UI you could not cram the modern game into that old ui as it would be missing so many things that have been added since, and a tiny window like that had on a mobile phone? I am thinking that would be a death sentence for a mobile version.

EQ live & VR - I think VR is a complete and utter waste of money & resources for this game, it is still very expensive to buy into it, it is still only a very niche part of the Videogames industry, it is still a huge risk to throw dollars at it and trying to make that work with the complexity of an MMO control scheme & keyboard operation seems, to put it bluntly, an outright stupid idea.
    The payoff for EQ would be so low as to make it a total waste of money.
    Stymie, Nennius and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Why did you post this in Player Support? What is it you need other players to help you with?
    Nennius likes this.
  11. Elvierian New Member

Meeeoooww!!! I really must have hit a nerve.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It appears that satisfies you.

Your ideas, while interesting to a degree, aren't practical. They aren't well-thought out. They aren't a good fit for this game.

And you posted in the wrong forum area.

Meow.
    Madeni, Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You have fun thinking you aggravated someone if it give you your low-rent jollies, just try not to eat all your crayons at once.
  14. Febb Augur

Daybreak is not in a position to compete with much larger and more successful MMO's. It's a nice thought but not very practical.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

If DPG wants to break into mobile, there is one simple thing they could do right now. Make Overseer accessible via a mobile app. That would be a good test of their abilities and be a relatively simple app to write, compared to making a mobile game or something else.

From there they could look into other options, though to be honest I don't care if they do or not. I just want to do Overseer from my phone...
  16. Elvierian New Member

Well, skuz, maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities, you know? Maybe the people that communicate with each other through the filter of your comfort are less evolved than the ones that just communicate! Maybe your problems are your own to deal with, and maybe the public giving a crap about your feelings is a one-way ticket to extinction!

As they say in Canada Peace Ooot!!
  17. 19Delta_Gunner New Member

I see this as a very doable idea. If I read this correctly, it would be on its own server. Hell, from what see, there are a lot of private EQ server to play on. If someone can turn that into a VR environment, I would try it out. As for EQ on mobile devices, that’s were the market is at now. Companies are make a lot money with in-game micro purchases. It seems some kinda version of EQ will be on mobile at some point in the near future. There a huge amount of fantasy role playing games to choose from on Android and Apple. I would like EQ to come out on a mobile platform. I’d definitely be able to play more that’s for sure.
  18. 19Delta_Gunner New Member

I don’t think he’s saying to write a whole new game, I think he’s taking about porting over the original version of EQ from 1997 to a mobile platform.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I know, but that code simply doesn't exist, the devs have said so on many occasions.

P99 was an old CD client & the back end for it was reverse-engineered.

So either they try to cram the existing game onto a mobile device - and the complex UI precludes that, or they (re)build a new game to emulate that old experience.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

RIP Crayons.