Devs: Using our alts as mercenaries

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

This is basically asking for overpowered mercenaries with real money upkeep. That is pay-to-win, which is a concept I hope to keep away from EQ.
    Boxers who doesn't use botting software can at least claim that their achievements in the game is related to skill.

Maybe Im just old fashioned...
    Elyssanda and Skuz like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It would be nice to be able to play an alt on the same account as a merc.

Many times it has come up that players want the ability to play 2 chars on the same account, especially as account transerfer are not possible anymore. I'd much rather have my alt healer/DPS gain AA than a healer merc.

But I'd settle just for the ability to log in 2 chars on the same account at the cost of having an merc and play both. :)
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

This would actually be some kind of nightmare.

Imagine your alt-merc not doing what you want, but your alt-merc is different from other's alt-mercs. So when you report it as a bug, others tell you that you are wrong. Dev's can't reproduce it because every situation is too unique. You begin going crazy.

Then you find out some other meta of alt-merc is better, so you spend time switching to that. It doesn't work that way for you, others tell you you are wrong, dev's can't reproduce. Your mom disowns you.

You finally find a setup that works, it works too well, the alt-merc is too powerful. You get bored with the game and quit. Total Protonic Reversal, the universe implodes.

Is that what you want?
  4. Biltene Kingslayer

Mercenaries are a necessary evil as a stop gap for those that can't or won't box, but still want to play the game and not wait around for the one member of a group that they can't do content without.

This request is specifically about alts, and not just alts, but alts on other accounts, which would make them boxes. Asking to have your own characters automated to the point of you not needing to control them is cheating, as has been expressed many times over by the company. If, as you say, the company admitted this request, then yes, by the strict letter of the law it is no longer cheating as it is allowed. However I, and many players like me, would still consider it "cheating" in the sense that you are not playing the game. Are you a "solid" tank if you never tank things on your own and just let the computer do it? Are you a blistering DPSer if you don't even know what discs to hit as the program just does it for you?

In fact, and this is something I've never understood, but why would anyone "play" a game, when they're not actually playing? What enjoyment can you possibly get from something if the computer does everything for you? Why even log in at all?

Not to mention, it opens up a whole pandora's box of other questions like do the mercs earn regular AA? Or Merc AA? In fact, I wonder if the OP would still like the idea if it was allowed but the "mercs" could only wear merc gear and use merc AA while performing as a merc and not earning xp to go towards reg or AA xp?
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Clearly you are too dense to comprehend what I am saying. Let me get my crayons...

1. Player asked DBG for a feature.
    2. DBG implements said feature (will never happen but this is the scenario).
    3. Player uses feature as implemented by DBG and in a manner intended by DBG.
    4. Biltene says it's cheating.

Respond if you want, but I'm done with you.
  6. Biltene Kingslayer

Huh, weird, I wonder what this admission would mean then.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

I think this would be a viable concept if the Alt merc were >>>On the same account<<< as the player using the merc and could substitute a J5 merc. Then instead of Merc AA, I could earn AA on my ranger. I think it has a lot of potential to add a lot of customization to the merc system without complicating the merc system.

Using a separate account to do this isn't going to fly.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If you want to earn experience on a different character.........................................

PLAY THAT CHARACTER.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Let me play 2 chars on the same account and I will!
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.