farming AC augs on Mischief

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zinth, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Uh I think you have that backwards.
    Tsavo likes this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You guys are devaluing the salt market!!

I can "Do my job" level 1 without a stitch of gear, any class, without a guild to support me.

If you can't "Do your job" with mismatched incomplete janky Mischief gear, this is gonna be fun casual-ing and watching the guild salt flows.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

It's a rite of passage for SKs and necros. Super useful. Don't knock it until you've tried it for a few years.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

So like 10% of tanks?
  5. Pikallo Augur

There has been a lot of questionable content posted on these forums over the past day or two, but this one hurts my soul a little
    yerm likes this.
  6. KRYGZ Lorekeeper

then they can buy them or trade other gear for the Augs stop complaining, this is going to be a fun server
  7. Warzon Elder

Ya if you're anxious about shrink wand, just play gnomes. Master race. Invis pots are faster than CoS, I've likewise never been so bad at the game I needed one. I totally get folks that "need" certain "things" and it's likely this server will not be for them. BUT! If you want to argue that you do need it, the camp for it now won't be taken, because there'll be a bunch of camps for it. OR, and hear me out, OR, you could not play on the server. But if you do play on the server! There'll be bunch of opportunities to get this stuff. And even MORE opportunities to get other stuff you usually don't have a reasonable shot at.

The AC aug thing is interesting, particularly for the RSS ones where you end up having to camp the same one x4, but keep in mind those are non-lore items and there's a bazaar. How it works on FV now is that they are available and for sale. Everyone knows their value so they get looted/saved/sold. It won't be 2-3 krono, it'll be another decent aug in trade or a few thousand plat. For reference, a good AC aug on FV now is maybe 500k plat when krono trade for 4-5mil plat each. So a full set of the 25ac augs might cost you a krono if you want to pay that way, but if you want to farm it you'll be able to do that at ANY camp at RSS. And you'll be able to get anyone to camp with you because they all stand to get something they can use, or something they can sell/trade. The later non-lore AC augs that have other stats are harder because people CAN'T loot them due to lore tag, but most of those are going to be much easier to get from dropping off of dozens, maybe hundreds, of mobs, rather than one in one spot. And a ton of them are also available using currency/out of chests, which maybe chests won't be randomized (but I just had an accident in my pants with something that occurred to me with randomized chests).

I know one reason I started boxing in the first place was as a tank that needed to farm the AC augs, I needed help and people didn't want to do it, because any given camp doesn't have something for everyone. So ya, you can't just go "grind it out" and then camp till raid (except for the 15 or so servers you still CAN do that on), but you can...go...play the game and see what you get.

I feel like this rule makes it much harder for players to "optimize the fun out of the game." I'm sure a lot of you will try that because you think virtually fully instanced content it matters what others are doing, but, talk about diminishing returns. Assemble some friends, go kill literally anything, and some days it'll be awesome and other days it'll be...spiroc feathers lol.
  8. Zinth Augur

a few thousand plat? I can hear you never played a tlp... they deal in kronos there...

and you forget that all the other namers are not camped HARD... but the ac aug namers are camped HARD.... but you need to kill even MORE mobs to get the same amount of ac augs as you normally would... A LOT MORE...
  9. Rannix New Member

I think the economy will quickly be more like FV than past TLPs. Part of the game on FV is selling stuff you don't need and buying stuff you do need. Mentally break the mold of thinking that says, "You have to camp it till you get it." The common player will find themselves playing the buy/sell game with the free trade concept in place. Assuming they will apply free trade as it is on FV, the AC augs and Lucid Shards will be tradable. Epic drops? Not so much.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Warzon Elder

I played on Lockjaw for years, and never had to deal in krono. Just because others are doing that doesn't mean you have to. You'll have items to trade even if plat goes bonkers. For real: stop caring what other people are doing, it is making you miserable and ruining the game for everyone. There are pickzones, there is AoC, none of this affects you. None of it. There is nothing anyone can do in EQ that should even register to you. You, your group, your guild. Go have fun, ignore everyone else. If they made everyone on ignore by default and hid everyone on your ignore list, you wouldn't even know krono existed unless you went looking for it.

And while yea, I totally see the fear and anxiety with something like the ac augs, tanks are not the majority of the raid. It seems like it when you're camping those augs, it seems like nobody else is playing, but they are. There's no tanks to play with cause the tanks are all busy with the aug camp that they HAVE to do because AC is broken OP. And because the AC aug camp drops nothing else useful you're there on your own and it sucks. The ONLY saving grace is you can just grind it out. Even the ones that are rare do eventually drop. I did three weeks clearing all of KT for that one aug. 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, 16x2 on the weekend. Three weeks. By myself. Awful. I've decided it's JUST AS BAD to settle in for a nice weekend in the tunnel camping that stupid tree just to have it drop on the first pull. Now what am I going to do all weekend?

100% agree.

But on mischief, it'd just be time spent in GoD, with friends, all of us grinding out everything. You just need to be lucky a couple of times, and get the AC aug to drop on some rando named with a terrible loot table while working on BiC, and BAM! No terrible AC aug farm. Or literally anyone you know that gets it to drop and that's been eyeing that item you got on a raid last expansion in trade.

You're thinking of it like some special problem for tanks, but think of rogues/bards farming illusions. Now you'll have a bard and rogue along for all your farming adventures, because that stupid rare instrument/mask they want is just as likely to drop on whatever named you found up. Every named is exciting, and while often you will be disappointed, you will be empty handed far less often and CRAZY STOKED on the regular.

This places us all in literally the same boat. Nothing they've ever done to any aspect of class balance or anything else will ever be as equalizing as this. /lfg for LITERALLY ANY CAMP ANY ZONE (as opposed to now, lfg for the one camp in the one zone my class needs this entire expansion and otherwise afk till raid)

There are named I've literally never seen anyone camping. In fifteen years nobody has intentionally camped at least half of this game. Now it is ALL on the table. There aren't enough boxes and enough players to cover them all. It would take a decade for anyone to map out where stuff can drop. You'll be hunting for some epic 2.0 thing in permafrost and find a mob that drops Pegasus cloak that NOBODY thought about.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Don't attack me.
  12. Nolrog Augur

There you have it. The first official "Mischief is dying" comment.
    noseminer and Tweakfour17 like this.
  13. yerm Augur

Giant colored lookatme text still not as bad as people who STILL don't know how wildly good a prenerf cos is.
  14. TLP Addict Augur

It's a super handy QoL item to have, I always go out of my way to get one for my Nec/SK, but he's not actually wrong in saying it isn't a required item.

You can definitely live without one, most of us would just rather not. It's a "want" not a "need"
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This player gets it

Play on Mischief & you will have to participate in the economy a great deal more - along with much more trading of items among yourself and your friends & guild mates.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Laronk Augur

I think a lot of people don't realize how people who are more casual play. Your non hardcore players don't have BIS aug in every slot on normal servers (or BIS gear). Random loot + it being tradeable is going to force people to participate in the economy if they want BIS gear because it won't be reasonable to camp it all.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. yerm Augur

This is I guess a lot like people who didn't charm back in the day and thought it was normal and you could be a perfectly good enchanter without ever doing it? Like I'm sorry but unless you use something like fartaunts this is a class defining item. Its been decades; you guys do realize that if your sk taunts a mob it doesn't draw adds the way spells or attacks do, right? And you can click the prenerf cos while moving?

I hate to say this but if you're playing an sk in these eras and don't think that instant invis is useful, you are probably not playing your sk near its actual potential.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Did you play an enchanter in Classic through PoP? Very few enchanters were charming. Very few. They only ones I knew did it regularly either had a cleric buddy or boxed a cleric.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I mained an enchanter in this timeframe.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Kujoe Lorekeeper

It is refreshing to see this much actual debate over the rules of the new server and how they will shake out, rather than a storm of hate because there is another recycle of past TLP rule sets or worse, something blatantly never asked for by the player base.

Personally, I think the rules are intriguing.

A further modification to spice things up would be a server with this rule set, however adding all classes/content open at launch, but level locked. So lvl 50 for 3 months, 60 for 3 months, 65 for(ever), 70 etc. It would be interesting to play the game with all classes and the full breath of low end zone available, while also seeing how many lvl 50's it takes to kill OW raid mobs.

What do you think is within reason at 50? I would think it gets too difficult around the Velious era, AoW would 1 shot mostly everyone, and the zone would collapse before you can bring enough tanks/monks to get it dead. OW raiding would allow huge guilds to reach further in content, leaving DZs as the main farm for gear.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. yerm Augur

I mained a druid, and I was charming, and I was even charming in situations where I did not have an enchanter and had to rely on positioning to recharm properly. Places like FOH and LOS discussions were full of people discussing charms in these early eras. Popular charm targets in velious ended up getting goofy nicknames. The good players were charming. The people not charming were either not good or, most likely, not aware of how good charming actually was and ignorantly missing out on a huge source of power.

Just like CoS.

Plenty of SKs apparently just don't realize how useful a tool this is and how much you can single pull with very little effort among other tricks. Like charm, it's probably the case that most players just don't do it, and because "very few" seem to be using the item/class to its potential the rest playing subpar think they're actually good because everyone else is only equally subpar.

I'm sorry if it hurts anyone's feelings to tell you that if you don't know the usefulness of a circlet of shadows on an sk, or you don't/didn't charm on an enchanter, that you aren't/weren't playing your class well... but it's just true.
    Kobra, Kutsuu, Zinth and 1 other person like this.