Meet the Dev: Absor!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elyssanda, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

2. Iven the Lunatic

What about episode 2 of Get To Know Your Dev ? Did it existed at all or is the number 2 cursed ?
    It made me laugh to imagine Absor and Prathun sitting in the same room while working on Dreadspire Keep and laughing like Bristlebane the whole time. :D
    Gyurika Godofwar, Nennius and Skuz like this.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

This totally resonates with me:
    Less practically, I would have wished I had a little more self-confidence. It is hard to speak up when in a room full of industry veterans and innovators, so I didn't.
    minimind, Nennius and Skuz like this.
  4. Laronk Augur

It’s a very common problem among knowledge workers. I think it’s often in part caused by bad managers ( or parents in some cases). I used to have a big confidence problem when sharing my opinion or dissent with people more experienced than myself. It’s hard to be confident and comfortable having a different idea than someone who has 20 more years experience. When you’ve been in a good workplace and in a bad workplace you can see a huge difference in how managers handle all this.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Some folks just have a more sensitive nature, my youngest kid has this sort of difficulty with feeling adequate & suffers from imposter syndrome a lot and they can be very shy until they get to know people around them really well & feel able to peek out from under their shell more.
    But Absor is a cool dude in my book.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

Interesting profile. Thanks for 20 years Absor.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  7. Aegir Augur

I don't know if you read this, Absor. But I as a TLP player, Really enjoyed your work on the lore in Veil of Alaris. I read all the lore stones once I could. Lore wise, it's probably one of the best expansions ever. Not many credit that, but I do - and I know, that a lot of other people do too. So please, keep up the good work.

Just a curious question, .... did you already work on the Alaris lore while House of Thule was in development?

House of Thule > Veil of Alaris > Rain of Fear was a very nice lore trilogy. For TLP, I'm was a bit dissappointed that the Sam Napth quest line was glued to anniversarry season - as it was, a very important lore step in the Rain of Fear progression. You'd might wanna put in Sam Napth as a static figure once RoF launches for TLP - and disable the ornament drop from completing the event until anniversarry season.
    Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

9. Absor Developer

Thanks. Adding in those lore bits was probably the best part of making that expansion for me.

We generally work at least a year and a half ahead. Basic story and zones outlines are done long before the current thing is shipped. They have to be to keep up. Specifically for those three expansions, the arc was sketched out from the beginning. We often plan two or three in a row (it's more obvious with things like RoK and ToV). Details for things often waits until closer to the work starts, since there isn't time enough in a year to write out two or three complete designs for an expansion. In fact, we usually save writing specific stories for a zone until we actually have the art to look at and can really dig in.

I'd have to dig into the Sam Napth thing... I'll see if I can find some time.
    Marton, Skuz, Aegir and 5 others like this.
  10. Absor Developer

And thanks to all for the kind comments!
    Coagagin, Skuz, Aegir and 3 others like this.
  11. KrakenReality Augur

When can we expect the guest appearance on the Shawn “Verylovingrobot” Lord’s stream? You could use that voice distortion and blacked out background like they do for anonymous interview sources on 60 Minutes.

Congratulations on surviving in game development and on one franchise for so long, that’s a true accomplishment.
  12. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Thanks for being committed to such a great game.
    Skuz and Aegir like this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

We love ya man!;)
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Absor Smash ftw!!
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

Keep up the good work you do Absor.
    Nennius and Skuz like this.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Thanks for all the fun over the years.