Wildly inconsistent fall dmg results in sudden death

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by narksar, Apr 24, 2021.

1. narksar Augur

Probably dozens of times, I've jumped off the top of Gyrospire Zeka's tower. I have safefall of 550 and have never taken a single point of damage. Today, I jumped off, and suddenly took 200k dmg, instant death. I only weigh 17lbs, so, its not a weight thing and had no debuffs. I then proceeded to jump off, at virtually the exact same spot, 3 more times, each time landing within about 10 feet of my corpse. Not even 1 dmg. Please don't tell me that this is some "rare failure" of Safe Fall. I mean I get stuff like that exists in this game, but since when is the failure a difference between 0dmg and full 200,000 damage?
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Your game's FPS also drastically affects how much fall damage you take. If you haven't set your background EQ's FPS to Unlimited and tabbed out while falling that might have been enough to cause you to die. Even if you didn't tab out it might have just been something affecting your performance for that brief period before you hit the ground that would do it.

You can pretty easily test this by setting Background FPS to 1-5, jumping off a relatively safe height, tabbing out, and watching as you 200k.
  3. narksar Augur

That was not a factor in this instance. I was not tabbed out nor do I have any FPS issues while not tabbed out.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Alright well, figure out how to reproduce this bug without it being related to FPS because otherwise there's not really anything for them to work with. :)
  5. narksar Augur

We don't know that definitively. They may still have an explanation and or solution. Even the FPS issue would still be a bug that would need to be resolved. I also timed it, it takes about 4 seconds to complete the fall I'm referencing.
  6. Herf Augur

I was just killed by one of the trash mobs in Plane of Tactics. It was one of the mobs that knock you up and back about 100 yards. I hit the wall, got a dark blue text message saying I died from non-melee of 200000 points. Insta death.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Fall damage is calculated by how long you are falling not how far you fall. So if there is anything that causes you to take longer to hit the ground it will cause more damage and this is typically caused by lag but that is not the only way for it to happen.
  8. dank Journeyman

You can also set foreground FPS to minimum and then you'll die from falls without even tabbing out. I used this recently when I needed to de-level characters for various reasons (binded on top of North Karana Wizard spires and just kept jumping off with minimum foreground FPS).
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Lagging in any way can kill you while falling until you have enough hp's that losing 200k is no big deal.
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

There is a point when you reach "terminal velocity" and will die regardless. Such as back in the day, falling in Velk's Labyrinth, top of the spider ramps to the bottom floor was instant death, but about 20 feet above that was only a few hundred damage.