Returning after years which group/box combo do you think is better

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by sch98319, Apr 21, 2021.

1. sch98319 New Member

So I definitely want to play a Wood Elf Beastlord. I played a Troll Beast way back when in the alligator pet days. I have never played any of the caster classes before keep that in mind for the following. These are the potential group combinations I was thinking:

Beast/Berz/Warrior/Bard or Beast/Mage/Enc/Wiz

Which do you think would be more fun? I've heard that trying to tab box multiple melee classes is difficult which is why I am leaning towards the second group. Is it worth having Bard and Enc on the same team?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

From what I've heard: casters - easier, melee - potentially amazing, if you can do it.

Regarding the second one (melee), contact Tucoh. He's done some pretty amazing things, and may have some good tips for you. Or good advice offered in old threads, or youtube.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

If you are going melee you pretty much have to put the DPS toons on follow to the tank, then pull with something else, like the bard. Then when the tank takes aggro he backs up and pulls the mob between him and the others that are following. Then you hit your assist socials or whatever. With casters you just assist and nuke.

So it's an option, just not one people always choose.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

For the caster group, switch the Wizard with a Druid. Still have ports and snare, but adds track, not merc healer dependent, Dru is good caster synergy and decent caster DPS when you are using a merc cleric. Wizard would out DPS DRU but with the synergy the net wouldn't be less in a meaningful way to offset the extra utility. ENC is exceptional puller and you can use a War merc and cleric merc which offloads a LOT of work off you. ENC, DRU and MAG are easy to box which will let you focus your attention on enjoying your BST.

The melee group would take more work to position which means you have less time to spend on your BST screen. And if you really want to focus on BST, you can drop the BER and use a 3rd merc. Much less DPS but much easier. A poorly played and under geared BER wont significantly out DPS a ROG merc.

I don't think having a BRD and ENC together in a 4-box is worth it, but yes in a 6-box there is a lot of synergy, though if no casters then the ENC can't contribute more than a SHM would.

I main ENC and box MAG and CLR. I think for the 3-box the DRU is better than the CLR (I don't have snare, ports, track or forage), but my CLR is older than mercs and I haven't let her go.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

From my own experience Warrior Mercs with Cleric Mercs (or 2x Cleric Mercs) are okay at 80 useless in Underfoot due to how it is over-tuned
    After Underfoot pretty good but then they get weaker and weaker.
    By RoS they are bad and by TBL all but useless - they get revamped stats at 111-115.
  6. sch98319 New Member

How feasible is an all pet crew with Enc/Mag/Bst/Necro
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

Very. I have ENC, CLR, MAG and use WAR, ROG, ROG mercs. I have no issues. On T2 named I drop 1 ROG merc for 1 CLR merc, so ENC, CLR, MAG + WAR, CLR, ROG. My War merc has tanked almost every named in ToV (I haven't done as much CoV.)

All 3 of my toons are raid geared, so that includes raid foci (healing, spell haste, pet foci, etc), and my cleric can vastly out perform a merc, so it's a bit skewed. I don't know how well you will do against T2 named, but a Mage pet can tank a lot. You can also buy a ultra rare pet earring for you mage which will strengthen your group.

For XP a war/clr merc would work. For named, probably not. You'd probably need 2 cleric mercs to keep the mage pet up.

Fun is the name of the game, so if you want to do ENC, MAG, BST, NEC, then do it.

I know you really wanted to play WEF BST, but you can project illusion from your ENC in the 50s and turn anything into a wood elf, and buy any pet illusion you want from the DBC store, so check out those pet options. Maybe you'd prefer a Project Illusion WEF SHM with a Domain Prowler illusion (or something) as a pet. Really race has no meaning in modern EQ.

Here are some other pet centric group combos...

BST, MAG, ENC, DRU
    SHM, MAG, ENC, NEC
    MAG, ENC, NEC, DRU
    Annastasya likes this.
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

I think there definitely needs to be a thread for this that is permanant and stays on top of the newbie section because its asked at least daily.
    Tatanka likes this.
  9. bomodo New Member

and if you are going to use a 3rd party software or not , using a 3rd party software and good at it is a huge advantage .
    if not using a software , a caster group is easier to box.
  10. sch98319 New Member

Flipping through four tabs is definitely work! I was getting dizzy and I’m only on the tutorial. I think I’m going to keep it as the dual Beastlord set up seen in another thread and maybe add enchanter. I don’t have a lot of time to play anymore and I work overnights so I just want something fast to jump into and effective
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Anyone know the alternate to alt+tab? I thought it was WinKey+# but it doesn't seem to be working for me presently. I know it works, I have used it in the past.

In any case, it takes you from alt tabbing through all the windows to just jumping to the window you want.

You can also Alt+SHIFT+TAB which cycles in reverse.

And my personal favorite, hold alt+tab and click the window you want.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's Ctrl+Alt+#, the alternate to alt+tab that is. With that you should be able to switch to any toon from the order you loaded them, rather than cycling through all 4.

So

Alt+Tab = Cycle Forward
    Alt+Shift+Tab = Cycle Reverse
    Ctrl+Alt+# = Jump to a window, # being the order from the task manager (order you loaded EQ, but includes other apps like Chrome).
  13. Tucoh Augur

Problem is that returning and new players can't make use of information that isn't tailored to them. To us it all seems the same thing over and over, but to them all the guides and old threads are indecipherable and risk leading them astray.