gold silver and copper

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by melemayhem, Apr 23, 2021.

1. melemayhem Journeyman

hi, i think its time gold silver and copper is taken out of the game. I just made a massive error in baz cause i counted 0 wrong because i forgot about the lower currency. No one actually uses silver gold or copper for anything, its time it was removed
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sorry, no. Dev time wasted on something trivial. Be more careful next time.
    Jhenna_BB, Nolrog, Duder and 3 others like this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

When you are below level 10 and are saving up for new spells and bags, then it is quite nice, that you don't have to pay a whole plat for each spell.
    :)
    Jennre and Celephane like this.
  4. Sindace Elder

How can you make a massive error in the bazaar, when your argument is against gold/silver/copper?

Also, new players are most likely to get boned by your scenario, so no.
    Celephane likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The lower currency are used in quests. Like this one:
    Deliver all items + 10 gold to Alchemist Naeema

Lower level mobs and other things cannot have overpowered rewards like full plat
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

7. Zinth Augur

the count 0 right then
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

"I made a mistake, therefore I want to fundamentally change the economy of the game for everybody"

No thanks
    Wyre Wintermute, Celephane and Skuz like this.
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

While making a costly mistake is frustrating, I'm sure you must not really comprehend the scope of the change you are requesting.

All coin based transactions in EQ are actually based on copper value, with silver/gold/plat simply displaying in your UI as different coins that are 10x, 100x, and 1000x copper pieces respectively. This is why bazaar prices are limited to 2,147,483 plat. Coin transactions are technically limited by the largest possible 32-bit integer, 2,147,483,647. In EQ's case, that 2 billion+ value is in terms of copper pieces.

Removing copper would fundamentally change the way all coin based transactions in EQ are processed, and I think even the most, erm, adventurous developers would rather avoid making such a drastic change to a core mechanic when it offers little to no benefit to the players. Who knows what wild things this would break.

Additionally, even if for some bizarre reason your request was granted and the only coin remaining in game was plat - this would mean all coin dropping mobs would need to have their drops recalculated. You can't just simply make any mob that used to drop <1 plat now drop 1 plat, or early era TLP servers would have a hilarious amount of inflation. Vendor items such as tradeskill pieces would need to have their prices completely revamped to account for the new rate of currency entering the economy. All items in the game (thousands and thousands) would need to have their vendor buy/sell prices revamped.

And again, all of that would be to idiot-proof bazaar purchases for players who aren't paying attention. Are you sure it's worth it?
    Sokki, Celephane and Skuz like this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Instead of removing the small coins it would be a good time to add a higher currency than platin pieces especially because there is this 2 mio cap. As example a krono could then be sold for 23.000 xx instead of 2.300.000 pp. I just dont know what is more worth than gold and platinum but it won't be a metal. Maybe diamond pieces as diamonds can be sold for 200 pp. A half diamond would be exactly 100 pp.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Already been done with Nobels
    Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Read the post before yours to see why this won't work.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Did you read the post right before yours? The cap is there because in the backend everything is treated as copper and adding a new currency won't change that. The devs know that this is a problem and have posted that it would be a lot of work to fix that cap as they have to chance how currency works from being 32bit to 64bit.
    Nennius and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  14. bobbin Elder

Keep gold/silver/copper, add comma's to the cost of items in the bazaar.
    Leigo, Skuz and Szilent like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This would be good for all currencies once they are applicable in the price.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Except nobles are taxed and can't be used in the bazaar. Which is why they were a terrible invention.
    Barraind likes this.
  17. melemayhem Journeyman

how many genuinely new players do u think there is these days? its 2021 not 2001
  18. Act of Valor The Newest Member

What's your point?
    Celephane and Skuz like this.
  19. melemayhem Journeyman

well pple were saying removing the lower currency would make it hard on new players. I doubt there are many, most are returning or alts, where a few silver gold or copper is going make little difference
  20. Warpeace Augur

Your just not understanding how EQ currency works or ignoring it for your personal argument here.

Its not happening.
    Skuz likes this.