Ranger Headshot at 115

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Kitaro, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Kitaro New Member

Searching for zones/mobs to Headshot for AA work. Any suggestions appreciated.
  2. Szilent Augur

Cobalt Scar wyverns & otters
    Hobitses and Shindius like this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Sirens in CS.

And I think it may only be the live otters in CS that are headshotable...don't think you can on the dead ones.
  4. Jennre Band Leader

Sleeper's Tomb Wyvern Room
  5. Vekaras Ranger of the Too Long Name

4 Places I know about from the last two expansions that fit the following criteria:
    Mobs are humanoid
    Mobs do not summon
    Mobs are Snare/Rootable

Ry'Gorr Mines (Live "top" side)(Live Ry'gorr)
    Cobalt Scar Wyverns
    Cobalt Scar Sirens/Neirads
    Cobalt Scar Othimir

Technically the Sirens and Neriads do summon but they only do it ~1% health so its not a game breaker

The Othimir are probably the easiest but I don't really like killing them
    The Sirens/Neriad are pretty simple but underwater has its own challenges
    Ry'Gorr mines just be prepared to crowd control/ae root/punt (learn how to punt and keep the mobs on the ledges)

in all cases, make sure your cure is loaded, Restless Ice is a nasty dot.

But all of these are 100% doable without wasting xp going to a merc.
  6. Malbro Augur

Pardon me for derailing this, but is there any messages in the log file that indicates headshot has hit the mob?

I have a 115 ranger alt and am just getting into the class.

Thank you in advance
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Will be at the end of a line:
    Ranger shoots a wyvern for 2 gazillion points of damage (Headshot)
    or
    Ranger shoots a wyvern for 2 gazillion points of damage (Critical Headshot)
    Hobitses and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. Malbro Augur

Thank you very much
  9. Jennre Band Leader

I setup an audio trigger in EQ options for the word "Headshot"
    Hobitses and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  10. Valdest Journeyman

I think this got hit by the nerf hammer.
  11. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I believe it did unfortunately. Can't have rangers doing ranger things in current content or it might be too FUN (TM) (C) and disrupt someone's game play or some such.
    Hobitses and Andarriel like this.
  12. Alnitak Augur

Could anybody educate me of importance of Headshot for ranger exp grind ?
    Let me elaborate: my lvl 115 max AA group-geared ranger does about 3'ish mil Headshot. Once or more per minute. And he spams the log with frequent 100K+ critical hits 30-40-or more times per minute with infrequent 500K+ crippling hits. Considering that CoV trash has 28+ mil HP why Headshot is so important ? I understand mobs summoning ability, susceptibility to Root etc. Headshot itself is not a defining contributor to my ranger dps. It's nice when it hits, but not necessary. Am I doing something wrong?
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

Daybreak logic: I know it has a head, but that's no reason for you to be able to headshot it!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

It probably has to do with the way you are thinking about it. Headshot has little to do with current content and much to do with smashing easily grindable mobs fast for xp over time. If there is a current content mob that is susceptible to headshot, it is just icing on the cake.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  15. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Because 3 million damage a few times per mob adds up and increases your DPS so that the mobs die faster and you can kill more mobs per hour, so on and so on.
  16. Vekaras Ranger of the Too Long Name

The reason headshot is so important is because its basically free damage. (minimal risk) there is no requirement to tank mobs so no merc to suck away XP. I can 60-120 AA's in a 30 minute lesson burn without significant effort. A ranger can solo for XP as effectively as any other class.
  17. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I wouldn't call headshot minimal risk. More like moderate, especially for those folks who do not have updated armor. Most of it comes from root breaking fairly often in places that are close quarters like live side orcs. I would take that into account when you try to be Legolas in FM with junk gear.
  18. Jennre Band Leader

I usually have 3 roots (AA, lvl 63 Spell, Vinelash, and use the snare AA). Live Otters and Sirens in Cobalt scar all can be HS. They still take some time to kill, but hey, its still really fun!