Lots of Tunare Server Suspensions this morning. anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xslia, Apr 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duder Augur

They definitely do have the ability to do individual rollbacks.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Kraken and Fred responded with examples from like 2005-2010. That was when SOE CS had like 10-20 full time GMs (literally one per server). It sounds like it was a manual process and we simply do not have those kinds of resources now.
  3. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

Kraken and I were actually referring to the same instance. I mistakenly called it 2004/5 when it was 2005/6.

I knew it was during the lvl 70 cap era, but mistakenly thought Omens of War instead of Prophecy of Ro.

BUT they didn't suspend every account to do it, they just selectively rolled back.

We didn't know who was next so we avoided raiding to avoid having to roll back DKP if purchases disappeared during the random roll-back.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It sounds like a manual process (investigate and rollback) but probably one that could be done in a timely manner. They had like 10+ GMs back then (some going on to become devs).

Today, we are at like what? Seems like 4 GMs on a shift rotation?
  5. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

I read through TDG's archived thread. I came accross this:

stratofortress
    01-31-2006, 04:24 PM

Just as people have been going LD like mad in COA, in the area prior to the click-up to AMV and OMM for a while now - would love for that to get fixed.

I remember crashing a few times at that Dragon Image if I clicked the wrong section. Ahhh memories.

Glad you had a better focused memory than myself.... POR in early 2006 instead of during Omens/DoDh in 04/05.
  6. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

Oh, yeah I don't doubt that the people are slim.

But Suspending without any info? I mean a simple Serverwide after the vendors were removed

"If you bought Items off the Loyalty Vendor, you may experience a temporary account lockout while we isolate an exploit / bug"

Would have gone a LONG way in making me understand what happened.
    Thunderkiks, Tatanka and Niskin like this.
  7. Qimble Augur

If they really cared about TLPs they would've taken serious punitive action against the AA exploiters.
  8. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Check your tickets and your email, The Unsuspendening has begun.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I am so grateful for this thread. I was so close to resubscribing last night, but the high outlay to even try it out again made me hesitate ($15 for one month + $35-90 for current content, and then repeated for at least 2 accounts. I used to pay for 9). I was coming back today to see if there was any news on a new TLP server, thinking that would let me play the game, with people, without paying the silly expansion cost.

But then I found this thread instead, and was reminded why I quit two years ago. DBG seems to go out of their way to show their indifference for and arrogance towards their players. They should grow up and be like other successful games, and just fix their mistakes without drawing attention them and without banning their fans.

Who are they punishing, except themselves? I don't get it.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

What evidence do you have that they cant do it now? Just a feeling? Just a hunch?
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Evidently, they are now unsuspending people. It seems to be an enforcement strategy. Blanket suspensions to prevent the circulation of dupped plat but to weed through the suspended players to find offenders. This seems like a logical and sensible strategy with relatively low labor costs.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. KrakenReality Augur

It's a terrible strategy for player retention. You'll see some account cancellations from those suspended and then cancellations from those that are fed up with poor customer relations.

Blanket bans with no notifications, reasons, apologies, announcements, etc is the worst decision they can make.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

If people were buying 1000 bags of plat I can see why they would want to take action and I hope they get serious about it. That said, they didnt need to ban someone buying a glyph. Seems like it would be pretty simple to just see who bought plat.
    Leerah likes this.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

People buying up Krono or BiS tradable items with dupped plat and destroying a server's economy is worse.

You are too soft.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It's probably a question of manpower in an emergency situation. Blanket temporary suspensions (8 hours) were necessary to prevent exploiters from destroying a server's economy.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't think that is true on any level. There are unexpected shortages and surpluses on things in real life and nothing gets destroyed. If anything, I bet these types of things are only good for the economy: like when the Fed lowers interest rates or lends money it doesn't have. They cause stimulation in an otherwise stagnant market. Something to be excited about.

I do not see any harm, and certainly no harm that would justify suspending a swath of your customers. It's absurd.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic (criticism of the Fed).

But someone mentioned that they had infinite loyalty points. This could have led to a situation where an infinite amount of platinum was injected into a server.

Edit: I know you are probably being sarcastic: criticism of quantitative easing policies in the real world US economy. Which is basically what infinite new platinum would do to a server. lol.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Infinite isn't really feasible, due to the same obvious coding limitations that restrict the price of items. So any "injections" into the economy are limited to the time frame that begins when players notice and ends when devs fix their mistakes. A big splash in the economy does not break it, any more than it breaks the ocean. It just makes some waves that settle with time and maybe changes the water level a little.

But the banning/suspending is just bad optics. The devs got caught with their pants down. Instead of laughing it off and pulling up their pants, they lashed out at the people who chanced to stumbled upon them. People who did exactly what people do.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You are probably describing the Bazaar plat limit where few Live Servers sell Krono on trader. I think the concern stems more on the TLP servers (where price ceilings are lower).
  20. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't think it matters on TLP any more than live...I'm not sure the vendor is even available on TLP until HoT?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.