Stormhammer two group LDoN raid - Eewatt Halmoore?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dank, Apr 19, 2021.

1. dank Journeyman

I was reading ancient patch notes (as one does, totally normal), and I found the following interesting patch note:

I could find absolutely no information about this, other than those patch notes. Further investigation, with the help of Rondor and Khoza (thanks!), led me to the NPC Eewatt Halmoore (event write-up contained here). We eventually figured out how to get into this mission (you must have a raid of at least 7 level ~65 characters who have all completed at least ~3 Rujark LDoNs), and mostly completed it, although part of the mission seemed to not work (bug report thread).

Anyways, anyone else have any knowledge/memories of this event? It seems super obscure. So far, of the eight or so items we have seen within it, I think only two of them have ever been seen before by an item collector. And those two that were previously seen dropped from the first named. Nothing from a deeper-in named seems to have been known to Lucy, Magelo, etc before.

I suspect that rather few people have ever seen/done this event before, but has anyone ever gotten the final part of this event (getting Bartleby Beckelbracker to follow you) to work?

Edit: some of the newly seen items from the named inside this event:
    Mithra, Rondor, Xyroff-cazic. and 2 others like this.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

If you get really bored there's another LDoN Recruiter in Butcherblock that I was unable to ever get to offer me a raid mission, I don't remember the name offhand but it's pretty obvious when you go there. If the restrictions are this specific no wonder they wouldn't respond to me.
  3. dank Journeyman

I beleive Rondor has explored and completed that mission in the past, through similar means as this one (shrouds/low level chars).

Edit: I think Rondor said they had been made curious by the following patch note (I wonder why that NPC was noticed, and patched to have a title more clearly indicating their purpose/raid level requirements, but not Eewatt Halmoore at the same time?), which is what led them to explore that mission:

4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Yeah I see this from some old patch notes:

The Undead one is probably referencing the butcherblock one but the Pyramid of Galuuk Korr sounds different than either of the two you guys did.
    dank likes this.
  5. dank Journeyman

Yes, I also have found and noticed the patch note regarding the "Lost Pyramid of Galuuk Korr." I would GUESS that that's just a random normal (one group) LDoN adventure that can come up if you are the right level/in the right place. If you look on Allakhazam's, there are several (known to lucy) items that are likely related to it.

I have not deeply investigated that one (yet). I may do so.

Edit:
    Galuuk Korr's Ankh
    Tome of Galuuk Korr
    You will also find some (tiny amount of) discussion about the Lost Pyramid of Galuuk Korr (more than I could ever find about the subject of this thread), a couple old forum posts say things like:
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Obscure Stormhammer exclusive content, could be an obvious inspiration for future anniversary content... hint for the devs...;)
    dank likes this.
  7. Siddar Augur

I'm almost certain that these were never added to standard servers in spite of what the patch notes imply.
  8. dank Journeyman

Well, this thread is about one that is on live servers, right now. Not only that, it's one about which there was never a patch note (that I could find) even saying that it was supposed to be on live servers. It's here though.

Edit:
    Also, after looking into it for a second, the event mentioned in:
    is almost certainly the event given by Alinai Kaneriti in Butcherblock. So that one is live too. Here is some of her text, it matches the above patch note:
    Not only that, but the odd way she seems to work (right clicking instead of hailing, having weird level limitations, being for two groups, etc) matches Eewatt Halmoore, who is unarguably dispensing the Stormhammer event mentioned in my first post, so I'm sure she is giving this other Stormhammer event.
  9. dank Journeyman

I think Rondor told me that the two-group Butcherblock LDoN "raid" in fact already has been used as the basis for an anniversary mission (I forget which one).
    Rondor and Jumbur like this.
  10. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

So I booted up 7 accounts on Test and shrouded down to 50. I was able to request the BB and Sro mini raids after finding accounts with at least 3+ wins at each camp. As far as I can tell the mission for the Pyramid of Galuuk Korr has no requesting NPC so unless it is a random chance request on the general adventure NPC (which would be weird considering the other 2 have specific special NPCs) I assume this one isn't actually on Live servers.

Also sadly couldn't cheese the BB LDoN raid as the zonein checks multiple times to ensure you haven't unshrouded and are still the appropriate level and there were just too many CH casting red con mobs for me to grind through it with mercs and weak shrouds.
  11. dank Journeyman

Yeah, we were also unable to get away with unshrouding.

We were able to make it pretty far using only shrouds and mercs in our first attempt, but we failed to actually complete the mission within the time limit.

We ended up creating five level 65 characters equipped with some defiant and some old raid gear, and using those + three shrouds + four mercs for a total of 12, we easily completed it within the time limit next time... at least, until the point that the task broke and it became impossible to complete the very final part.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I thought they said that live servers would not get any of the bonus Stormhammer server content.

This could just be a fragment of those missions which made it to live that shouldn't have.

Its a shame to see all that work go to waste and not be seen my the majority of the player base.

Adding the extra missions to live now, would be nice to silence some of the calls recently from TLP players for new content. :rolleyes:
  13. dank Journeyman

If you read several of the old patch notes we've been talking about in this thread, from like 2004, several of them explicitly talk about Stormhammer content being moved to live servers.

In fact, if one reads many of these old patch notes, it seems to be the case that, at that time, almost all new/special content was on Stormhammer before live servers, and was made Live later. Seemingly it was normal that Stormhammer got new things first and then Live.

Another example:

Some more comments about Veksar:
  14. dank Journeyman

After doing yet more digging, I think that that LDoN is in fact a normal group LDoN that's supposed to just appear within the normal rotation of LDoNs from the North Ro camp, so long as you are of appropriate level. Is it actually working? Not sure. Can you actually tell that the LDoN you request is going to be this one (eg does the adventure description which you Accept or Decline contain relevant information)? Not sure. Do you have to have previously completed some Takish-Hiz LDoNs? Not sure. Does it matter if you select Normal or Hard? Not sure.

But here's a lot of ancient forum posts:

Bobbybick likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Interesting, I guess I was remembering wrong, 2004 was a very, very long time ago and I'm an old lady now. :)
  16. Rondor Augur

Indeed the 2-group LDoN raid in Butcherblock from Alinai Kaneriti for level 40-60 seems to be nearly exactly the same event as the 19th annivesary "Lost But Not Forgotten" mission. I had done it shortly after I noticed the Patch notes that dank mentioned, so it was quite a while back now in 2012 or maybe 2013 that I tried it.

I think I managed to do it multiboxed with one or two real-characters of the appropriate level range and mercenaries, plus some shrouded characters and mercenaries. I don't remember if any other people had helped at the time, as it was something I was just curious to explore. I know I got to the end of the mission/raid and maybe even finished it.

When I first saw the 19th anniversary mission 3 years ago, at first I told myself "Wait a minute, this seems awfully familiar but I don't remember why", then I remembered. It's really almost the same mission, including the surprise reveal near the end of maybe a certain familiar vampire but not quite!

It's also interesting to see that the equivalent 19th anniversary mission was intended as a 2-group mini-raid mission, just like the LDoN 2-group mini-raid it is apparently based on.

So I wonder if any other of these "lost" Stormhammer-sourced adventures might one day be adapted into future anniversary missions scaled up to newer levels.

It was fun to explore the original-post mission in South Ro with dank and Khoza, and would be interesting to find any other hidden things.
    Bobbybick and dank like this.
  17. Rondor Augur

My gut-feeling guess at the time in 2012 as to why just the Butcherblock 2-group LDoN raid NPC giver [ Alinai Kaneriti ] had her "in-parenthesis description" fixed to state that it's a level 40-60 range raid, was related to Mayong Mistmoore and the 13th anniversary quests and the upcoming Rain of Fear expansion.

The patch notes [ https://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=29987 ] are from June 27, 2012. This is when the Veil of Alaris expansion was the latest expansion, and was not long after the EQ 13th anniversary missions had finished for the season, and during the time the developers were presumably working on the next expansion Rain of Fear involving the fear shard that plays a role in the final Sepulcher raid of the VOA expansion.

The 13th anniversary mission series with Sam Napth in Plane of Knowledge ties in between the ending mission/raids of the VOA expansion and the ending mission/raids of the ROF expansion.

My guess is therefore that this explicit pointing-out of this 2-group LDoN raid mission was to make people "afraid" that Mayong Mistmoore would show up again and have a big role to play during the ROF expansion, since he (sort of but does not really) appear in the 2-group LDoN raid, and he had JUST appeared in one of the 13th annivesary group missions and raid.

I treated the small patch-notes change to the NPC's description as a little kind of thing like: "hehehe - we can make the players think that the next expansion after VOA will be a Mayong Mistmoore expansion, while some people vocally say they are not so keen on that kind of expansion lore again, but this is a little trick to fool them".

Alternately, the LDoN raid appearance of Mayong Mistmoore (sort of, not really) shows a particular model of him. In the 13th anniversary group mission that summons Mayong, you see him cycle through various NPC models as he's being summoned. This may be a nod to one of those models, showing up in the LDoN. So MAYBE no nefarious purposes like "haha we'll trick the players into thinking Mayong will return in the next expansion" but rather a nice benign "here's a nice way to show off one Mayong NPC model that may be less familiar".

Either way it was a fun thing to (almost) see Mayong Mistmoore in the caverns named after him!

You can experience essentially this same 2-group raid if you do the 19th anniversary "Lost but Not Forgotten" event. Even the same quest pieces drop as in the level 40-60 LDoN raid version.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  18. dank Journeyman

I spent a decent amount of time requesting LDoNs, of random types of both normal and hard difficulty, at the North Ro camp using a group of level 40 shrouds, and I never saw anything come up that actually mentioned anything that sounded like "The Lost Pyramid of Galuuk Korr" in the Adventure preview descriptions despite all the old evidence I dug up that indicated that this is how you get this Adventure mission.

For all I know there could just be normal-sounding (unindicated in the preview description) LDoNs that come up in the rotation which contain, inside of them, some mentions (mobs, text, etc) of the topic. Or maybe it's not working; or maybe I'm just unlucky; who knows?
  19. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The requesting NPC might have also just gotten overlooked with the Nro revamp and not added to the new version, though why Sro made it in that case I couldn't say other than just an accident?
  20. dank Journeyman

Those old forum posts mostly give me the impression that the mission just comes from the normal Adventure guy at that camp, and not a special NPC.

However, the North Ro revamp is certainly a possible point at which the mission could have been lost, if it is lost.