[Feedback] - Guild Portals

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The last few expansions the guild portals haven't been as clear as to where they take you. I think there are a few which could do with some kind of description added to make it easier to know where they will take you. The majority of the older ones don't need any descriptions as it is all the name, as you can see from the full list below. I've added a note next to those who I feel need a description added and highlighted them in red. Amber is possibly in need of a description as it could mean a couple of zones. Green the guild message itself needs to be made clearer.

Arcstone Spirit Sapphire
    Brilliant Frigid Gemstone - Eastern Wastes (TOV) - Needs zone adding to description along with something to say which version of the zone
    Broken Timestone
    Burning Lamp - Ports to Stratos - zone needs adding to description
    Chipped Shard of Slaughter
    Chunk of Argathian Steel
    Cloudy Stone of Veeshan - Ports to Plane of Sky
    Crystallized Dream of the Feerrott
    Dragonscale Faycite
    Drowned Katta Castrum Powerstone
    Etched Marble of Barindu
    Forest Emerald of Faydark - Ports to Greater Faydar - could do with being clearer
    Fragment of the Combine Spire - Ports to Lceanium - zone needs adding to description
    Frozen Shard of Iceclad
    Fuligan Soulstone of Innoruuk - Ports to Plane of Hate - zone needs adding to description
    Goru'kar Mesa Sandstone
    Grassy Pebble of The Commonlands
    Karana Plains Pebble - Ports to North Karana - could do with being clearer
    Katta Castrum Powerstone
    Lavastorm Magma
    Miniature Worker's Sledge Mallet - Ports to Overthere (ROS) - needs zone adding to description along with something to indicate which version of the zone
    Moss Agate of Stonebrunt
    Opal of Toxxulia
    Othmir Clamshell - Ports to Cobalt Scar (COV) - zone needs adding to description along with something to indicate which version of the zone - along with something added to the zone message in the guild hall to indicate which verson of the zone you are taking the portal to.
    Shadowed Sand of the Twilight Sea
    Shattered Bone of the Dreadlands
    Splinter from a Guild Standard
    Stone of the Shard's Fall
    Stormstone of the West - Ports to Ethernere - Zone needs adding to description
    Undershore Coral
    Unrefined Brellium Ore
    Velium Shard of Cobalt Scar - needs something added to indicate which version of the zone - along with something added to the zone message in the guild hall to indicate which verson of the zone you are taking the portal to.

*Edit* - Correction for Brilliant Fridged Gem Stone - goes to EW not CC.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

Or they could just do away with the cutesy names and just rename all the stones to their zone name: (insertzonenamehere) Portal Stone
    Gyurika Godofwar and Accipiter like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Either way, there needs to be something to tell the difference between, the 2 stones to Cobalt Scar and the guild hall message for the same.

We have had returning players who have set the portal to the wrong one, not knowing what the COV one was, with the guild hall message being the same it isn't noticable until you arrive in the wrong version of the zone.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I believe I made a feedback request a long time ago that there should be an additional column with the destination on these. With the loss of the Daybreak Community Issue Tracker and the lack of any dedicated place for feedback, who knows where it has gone.

While in-game is preferred, I have made a table here: https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Guild_halls#Teleportation_Assistant
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sissruukk like this.
  5. YabaHow New Member

There is a "lore tab" ...
    Why not use that to describe where the stone takes you. The tab is there for a reason... why not use it?
    Sokki and Tatanka like this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've asked them many times over the years to stop using the same zone names.

There is zero reason that zones like Cobalt Scar (Claws of Veeshan) could not have been named Veeshan's Scar or something similar.

Looking at the lore from the old Cobalt Scar https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=111
    Veeshan's Scar would have worked just fine for the CoV zone, especially with the expansion called Claws of Veeshan..

Every other zone name reused could have also been changed to something else.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It doesn't help once the portal is set, but when you are looking at the stones on the vendor, if you sort them by price (ascending) they will be in expansion order. That's the only way I can ever be sure of what I'm buying.
    Tatanka and Fanra like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is how I do things too, but in a few years time will you still remember which order they came in?
    For those returning to the game it isn't easy to tell them which stone they need if your not at the teleporter.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I find the portal stones both cutesy and charming.

However, the guild portal and accompanying stones are unwieldy and cumbersome. I propose we do away with the stones, target the portal vendor, and say the name of the zone we wish to port to which then whisks the player to their desired destination.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

You say, "Hail, Zeflmin Werlikanin"
    You say, "Cobalt Scar, you know, the CoV one"

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT
    You say, "Dammit, Zeflmin. I wanted the OTHER Cobalt Scar."

Might work, though.
  11. Angahran Augur

On a related note, would love to see a clicky to port to wherever the guild portal is set and also port to the guild banner.

And how about if clicking on a planted guild banner would return you to your guild hall ?
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It works with the lobby/wayfarer-magus, because the list of zones is relatively short. A list of GGH-supported destinations would be long a require some scrolling up/down, before you find your desired destination.

And I like not having to spell out the zone name, if I want to go there quickly. :)

A description on the lore tab of them item is a good idea.
  13. bobbin Elder

But it hilarious when someone sets it to the original CS just before a raid!
  14. Viper1 Augur

I troll my guildmates all the time by setting the portal to SoV cobalt scar instead of the CoV version. it never gets old. Even though there is a statue from the collector's edition right next to the portal, completely eliminating the need to use the portal, people still fall for it.
    Warpeace likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You would make a good wizzy, then you could do the same thing to CS and GD, both TL messages are the same for both expansions......they asked to go to GD and CS just didn't say which one. :D At least RoF had different zone names.
  16. Celephane Augur

No, it does not. It ports to EW in the fort. The giant crystal from ToV takes you to the Caverns.
  17. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

On the topic of guild hall portals, was there some reason why there wasn't a portal to the Plane of Health for TBM?
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Price. The newer one will always cost more. I always sort the portal npcs good by price.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So it does, this further proves the point that they need a zone name on them.

*Edit* Oh thats new, I could edit my first post!
    Celephane likes this.