4/20 12am pdt

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bolburbonecrunch, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Bolburbonecrunch Journeyman

I hate to ask but is this around what you would say is lunch time on Tuesday April 20th?
  2. Aldryn Another New Member

Code:
    San Diego, USA            Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:00 midn PDT 
    New York, USA            Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 3:00 am EDT   
    London, United Kingdom    Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 8:00 am BST   
    Stockholm, Sweden        Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 9:00 am CEST   
    Melbourne, Australia      Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 5:00 pm AEST   
    Corresponding UTC        Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 07:00      
  3. Elyssanda Bardbrain

AM is midnight, PM is noon.
  4. minimind The Village Idiot

Typically noon on most days.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It is for this reason that many people recommend using 12:01 a.m. rather than 12 a.m. It is easier for humans to understand that 12:01 a.m. is in the middle of the night (1 minute after midnight). Even though 12 a.m. is just one minute before 12:01 a.m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Confusion_at_noon_and_midnight
  6. Bolburbonecrunch Journeyman

If I have this correct then the servers will be down for the 24 hours that is Tuesday, April 20th and (barring any hiccups) coming back up at noon on Wednesday the 21st?
    Elyssanda likes this.
  7. Febb Augur

Do a google search for time zone converters. Plug in your time zone and then PDT for the timezone Daybreak is in. That will tell you the time offset for your time so you can figure out when they'll be down.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I always thought it was because folks get confused over 12 am being the beginning of a day or the end so for example... is 12 am the beginning of a Tuesday or the end of a Tuesday.

I think using 1 am makes it very clear that is the start of a day. To me 12:01 or 12:00 does not clear this up.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes this is the real problem is 12am/Midnight the end of one day or the start of a new day. 12:01 AM would at least signify that it was at the start of the day rather than the end of the day. As a side note using 24 hour time would solve this problem as 00:00 is clear to be the start of the day.

Moving the time by an entire hour just to make it clear can cause other problems.
  10. Febb Augur

People would think it's 1pm when you tell them 01:00. There are many people who don't decern the difference between military time and a 12 hour clock.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure if they confuse a 24 hour time with a 12 hour time they would get those mixed up but that wasn't my point. I was just showing that the confusion is with it being at the start or end of a day and that there is a system that accounts for that. And I was also talking about a 12AM/Midnight time not a 1AM/01:00 time.
  12. Coagagin Guild house cat

/start rant

If you never learned to love the 24 hour clock or think its strictly "military time", don't work international and deal with India Standard Time or 10.5 hours ahead. China is another one that uses a half an hour differential that escapes me at the moment. Add to that mix and Australia and Central Europe and you will quickly learn to appreciate the international norm of using a 24 hour clock instead of just your local time.

/rant over
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

24 hour time is local time just displayed differently so I think you are thinking of something different. There are also time zones that are 15/45 minutes off from what I remember and ones where the difference is larger than 12.

No matter how you display it 12/24 hour you still need to include the timezone.
  14. Coagagin Guild house cat

Warring;

Do you ever not pick fights with every post you read? Yes, I understand the local 24 hour clock as well as CST being -5 or minus -0500 depending on the locale. Same goes for IST being +10.5 GMT and host of others or do we need to be so pedantic that we break every single last point down to absurdity due to exceptions?
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

It's gonna be all day on 4/20.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

24 hour or 12 hour clocks don't make much of a difference in dealing with a 10.5 hour difference as long as you understand time zone conversions. With a 12 hour clock you just subtract 1.5 from the current time and change AM/PM unless the time is between 12:00 and 1:29. In this case the only benefit of a 24 hour clock is knowing if it is starting at the beginning or end of a day.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I can't believe we are having this discussion.
    Aldren, Khat_Nip and Herf like this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

this thread:
    [IMG]
    Accipiter and Herf like this.
  19. Herf Augur

I thank my German and French teachers for teaching me how so much of the world routinely uses 24 clocks.

That said, this has been stated as a 36 hour outage, not 24. So it's a minimum of a day and a half. Quite possibly with another half a day after they try bringing the system up again and have problems.

So from midnight 4/19 (aka. 12:01am 4/20) through noon Wednesday 4/21, pacific time. Which is currently GMT -7:00 (daylight savings changes at different times in the US vs Europe but they are currently synced up at -7:00)
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Pardon the derailment:

Update on the Great Migration

"Server Downtime: Monday, April 19th @ 11:00 PM

All EverQuest Live Servers will be brought offline on Monday, April 19, 2021 at 11:00 PM PST* for an update. Downtime is expected to last approximately 36 hours."

Or 23:00 hours if you are so inclined.
    CrazyLarth and Fenthen like this.