[feedback] archaeologist automated antiquity analyzer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jumbur, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The ambleshift's archaeologist automated antiquity analyzer (A5) https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=113785
    is a gadget you get(and improve) by completing the achievement "piecing together history" https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=7296
    in CotF in Deadhills and Tower of Rot.
    One of its functions is to lockpick "modern locks", I think it is usable in some quest related locks in CotF and TDS.

However since the "illusion through doors" exploit has been fixed a few years ago, I think it would be cool if the A5 was improved to also work on older locks from early expansions(at least the locks where there doesn't exist a key).
    That way us veterans, that have played in CotF, have an alternative solution to handle locked doors/chests, than to drag rogue-buddies to "old" dungeons, whenever we feel like exploring. :)
    RPoo, Fenthen, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  2. zleski Augur

For the record, I have literally never used this item outside of the mission. I think this would be a wonderful idea to breathe a bit of life into the older zones for us bittervets who want to relive the glory days of tromping through Old Sebi--no sorry you need a rogue or bard.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The item only works on "targetable" world items like chests & barrels.

Doors for example are generally not targetable so the device will not & cannot work on those unless the entire mechanic by which it operates is changed or until every door in EQ is changed into a targetable item.

I don't see this idea going anywhere soon, and Rogues & Bards could justifiably see this as their class skills being handed out - much like Enchanters, Bards & Rogues saw with the plethora of illusions that entered the game.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

In this case it is a class-ability, that limits access to specific areas for the general population. There is a precedents for loosening that over time, just like you can now go to plane of sky via guildhall, rather than needing a wizard port.

You are probably right that it will require a mechanic change. Although a "simple solution" could be to give the item a huge lock-pick skill modifier. All classes have a remove trap skill of at least 1 (for some reason :confused:), maybe something similar can be done with the lockpick-skill.

Give everyone a lock-pick skill of 1, and a huge skill-modifier on the A5, corresponding to the skill of a level 60 rogue or something(when the achievement is maxed).
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Problem being is that precedent is for "old content", the change you suggest would affect everything including current & future content.

Only Rogue & Bard have it in their skill window which is where it needs to be for the skill mod to affect it I believe, so that solution likely doesn't work.
  6. Rondor Augur

The Remove Trap skill is to remove placeable traps similar to [ Mark of Searing Dawn ] which I think were introduced at the same time as auras in the Prophecy of Ro expansion, and I have not seen many traps. Some classes get a trap-ability instead of an aura with PoR, and these ALL/ALL usable clicky traps are probably why everyone gets Remove Trap skill.