Bounce Effect from Mount Movement is too much

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Niskin, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I don't know if this has come up before, or if there is a setting I'm missing, or a slash command... but the shaking or bouncing motion of moving while on a mount is quite disorienting. For those of us who are susceptible to motion based nausea, it's a pretty heavy trigger. I was hoping maybe it could be adjusted.

Now I'm not against the motion, and in its early implementations at lower speeds it wasn't so bad. But now with very fast mounts, and what seems to be a 1:1 relationship between the acceleration and bounce acceleration, it's pretty jarring.

This is mostly based off of using the Jungle Raptor, but I've also used the Worg. Maybe other mounts aren't as bad, and if so I'm open to recommendations. Barring that, I was wondering if the rates could adjusted, either starting slower, or ramping up slower, or capped slower.

This would be a QoL upgrade, but also a bit of modernization. It really does feel like they were tuned for a lower max speed, and that the motion part didn't get adjusted when the speeds went up.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Back in the beginning players would use 3rd person view.
    Bardy McFly, dank and Nennius like this.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yeah, that makes sense. I try to do that when running sometimes, but then you can't tell where your view is looking for maintaining levitation height. It just gets weird switching back and forth because I prefer 1st person for EQ.
  4. KarmaKitty Augur

Yes, this is realism I don't need. Same sort of thing as having mounts head in the way in FPS.
    A slight bounce so you know your on a mount (without hunting for the buff) is probably ok. The
    carpets are not too bad.
    Niskin likes this.
  5. SunDrake Augur

It is annoying, but the Jungle Raptor is amongst the very worst in terms of its jerkiness of movement. The carpets are a smooth ride, as are the jet packs. Pretty much no bounce. Wolves are smoother than Worgs, in terms of early Marketplace choices.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Pretty much this, pick your mount wisely some are a lot better than others and some are horrid and some are just too big!

My prefered mount is my carpet.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Where do the carpets come from? I looked in the Marketplace but don't see them.
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

LoN pack or one from TBL (forgot what you need to do for it)
    Niskin likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Quests - Burninator or some similar name, in general achieves for TBL.
    Niskin likes this.
  10. Koryu Professional Roadkill

There's also a bug that can be beneficial. If you use a mount with multiple movement animations (like the sokokar that can alternate flying or running) and cycle through those first, then summon another mount you want to ride, any other mounts will not do their running animations again until you zone. This means they'll slide along the ground, which looks a little silly and can mean they rear up to do idle animation while in motion, but it also means the camera will not bounce with the gait of the mount.
    Rondor and Niskin like this.
  11. ---Xislaben--- Augur

I for one would pay extra to get lev bob back! /grumble
    Teylana likes this.
  12. Febb Augur

Good lord, lev bob was annoying. Good riddance!
    Ozon, Coagagin and Nennius like this.
  13. dank Journeyman

If you look maximally upwards before scrolling out to third person, you will maintain maximum levitation height while subsequently moving. Then, if you also bind a key (I like to use one of the extra buttons on my mouse for this) to "Move Down" in Options > Keys > Movement, you will then be able to directly/immediately make adjustments to your levitation height while running around in third person view.
    Niskin likes this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

Some mounts bounce. Some are smooth. Choose a new mount.

Some illusions/races bob when they melee attack. Some illusions/races don't. Bobbing is natural. Play an Ogre.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Figures Trogdor would be somehow involved in my salvation. Thanks, I will look into it.
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Some of the swing animations suffer from this problem also, due to high swing rates. I had to stop using one of my Rogue's illusions because of it, I think it was the scarecrow. Those could also be slowed down a bit, though that's probably harder because the animations are more directly tied to actual swings it seems.
  17. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

It is not modern but the drogmas aren't so bad, the head is out of the way and there are color options. If I remember right, the severed hand from Rain of Fear was not so bad either if you can be OK with the look.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Thanks for the tips, I will check them out. Not worried about the look, just the visual shake. The TBM carpet is apparently for finishing the entire progression chain, so that will be a while. In the meantime, maybe these short-legged/short-fingered suggestions will pan out.
  19. dank Journeyman

You should be able to get the anniversary helicopter mount right now, which is a pretty nice option. It takes up zero space and moves very flatly IIRC. I am not a fan of its appearance/flavor, but it is a nice mount for the above reasons.

ETA: This item: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=97049
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh... my first thought was who was this guy named Lev Bob and why does he want him back?