Tired of competing against MuiQuasi bazaar sellers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Numerous times I have gotten into price adjustment wars with another trader. I sold something like 120 Spiked Seahorse Hide Belts once, one at a time to a player who insisted on setting the price too high.

I'd put one up, he'd log in an alt trader and put one on it for 10% under mine, I'd lower my price, he'd lower it again, etc, then run to me and try to buy mine. I'd track him incoming and readjust to 90% of his original price. I ended up selling him 10-15 a day. My family plays, we'd mock him as we farmed more belts as he only was a reseller jacking prices.

My point being, mostly, The allure of easy money by reselling is and always was and always will be a thing. Automation doesn't cause this. Controlling automation will not stop it. Any predictable system can be nudged. If you take the time, when things are slow, to drive their price lower and lower, then just buy theirs too and take the pricing back. Don't sell things that stacks upon stacks are easy to farm. Lore / rare items are friendlier to this as it's harder to farm so many it overfloods the market.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Some do.
  3. Febb Augur

How about some new bazaar tools.

• Allowed Buyers - Character, Guild Tag. If all, put *.*
    • Ignored Buyers - Same as above.
    Maybe a non biased person makes a site for people to rate buyers/sellers. I think all the above would filter out the bots.
  4. Laronk Augur

Honestly, I and most other players will shop where it's cheaper. Examples Walmart and Amazon treat their staff like garbage, people still shop there anyways because it's cheaper.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I only noticed this once on Xegony a few years ago and they didn't stick around from what I can see.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The folks doing it are likely running traders with krono for subs. Bans stop them for as long as it takes to make a new account and eat another krono. I guess they lose whatever items and plat they had on the account but would that be enough to stop them?

Now if Daybreak had an automated process to detect the botting and instantly ban then I guess that would put a stop to things eventually but bad luck too all the folks who get hit by false positives. Might be doable if they can discern between people actively updating prices manually a lot verus bots doing it.

What about a requirement to use a trader in the baz? Accounts have to have been paid for for six months before they are flagged as allowed to be used as a baz trader. Combining this with actively banning folks doing it and we might have something. Take out the existing violators and make it harder to replace them so quickly. Yeah I guess someone could make back up accounts and keep them active to act as replacements but at least it becomes a bit spendy to do so.
    tanith and Nennius like this.
  7. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

It's interesting to me that DP has maintained silence about this & the automated xp groups. I mean, the people who follow the TOS are they being chumps? I liked EQ alot more when there were periodic bans for cheating but that was with a larger subscriber base. It feels like there was a business decision to look the other way to keep revenue streams strong as botters buy subs through krono or direct payment which ultimately is what it's about I guess. I don't believe the individual devs like the third party stuff anymore than we do fwiw.
    Nennius and Jumbur like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Choosing to not be a part of the problem, means that you are making the server a better place for the rest of us.

So no, you are not being a "chump" by adhering to the rules, you are being a part of the everquest community! :cool:
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you are going trader don't worry about competing, set your price & go sleep, if the bots undercut you don't worry, frequently you will see people buying items or you can try selling on channels while you do other stuff like trade-skills or whatever.

Yes the bots are annoying but ultimately you can opt to not compete with them if you have the time to do so, I have sold Krono to Barter folks when the price was decently close to the going rate but if it looks bad I sell via open channels & get a better deal that way.
    Bigstomp and code-zero like this.
  10. Tappin Augur

I don’t care about people using 3rd party programs, but there are things DP can to make life less annoying. Any argument that your price is to high is nonsense, since many people simply don’t bother to setup the tool they are using. Sure you buy items out (and even sell it back to them at a higher price if you do a bit of research), but this gets old.

There was a thread with some suggestions on how to fix this issue, and a dev said they would review a few options, but in typical DP fashion, no updates were ever made.
  11. Mazame Augur

As a bst mass killing is not often possible like it is for other classes. With that said I know of a few zones where when I need pp I go and just round up the whole zone and let me pet have fun while I am waiting for my 1 AE nuke to refresh. I loot everything when my bags are full I pop an AA vendor and empty them. I make about 30-60k so /baz sale is just not effective for me.
  12. Schadenfreude Augur

You can always tell the automated bazaar botters because they never go into offline mode, many of their items will be priced oddly (234575 for example) due to the way they auto-undercut by a set %-age and, because they are almost always the same people who run automated groups and/or power-levelling, they'll have absolutely ludicrous amounts of common mob drops from certain zones and next to nothing from elsewhere. It's pointless to try and undercut them on expansion wide tradeskill drops for example as they have virtually unlimited stock with more added all the time while you're at work or in bed.

I have to assume they can specify the discount %age, how often the prices are updated and a minimum price floor for any given item or item(s). I *have* made a handsome profit buying huge quantities of tradeskill drops from these vendors and turning them into a different item that very few people were making but that doesn't help the ordinary player who was hoping to earn a little plat to pay his mercs and sundry expenses and wakes up to nothing sold on his offline vendor because all his prices were scripted into dust while he slept.
    WeezFv likes this.
  13. German Augur

As Geartop says...'Deal with it! Whatever you do, don't open that door. They can't get in unless you open the . . . Idiots. I'm surrounded by fleshy idiots.'

Don't open this door up guys, let em keep undercutting each other. So you can get good deals. When bots compete you win.

Get up early in the morning you can get some sweet deals after they have run all night cutting each other down. Sometimes you can get the current trade skill items for less than it costs to make them.
    Its fun to price your trinkets at a fair price and watch the guy come in and clean you out only to be loaded back up with more from the bank.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

I'll gladly let these guys buy my crap to bankroll the few things I do need. If I somehow cause them to sell less than me by having a low price, oh well, someone won.
  14. Tappin Augur

The problem with gear progression since TBL, is the fact they made T3 (or last tier) crafted. Everyone since leveled a crafter. It's hard to sell any of the player made items, but the TS drop items do sell. I find it easier to move TS items in bundles in general chat that using Bazaar. DP just let the Bazaar turned into a pile of steaming dog poop.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No. A lot of folks I know who run traders never go into offline mode. When I run traders I don't go into offline mode. More so since I am retired now and can pop by the computer anytime. Everquest has a LOT of retired folks playing the game.

I have a friend who runs a few traders and never puts them in offline mode. They just enjoy the buy and sell game and do that more then anything else in the game. And because they are always online they have been accused of botting the baz. Not so. They do put a hell of a lot more work then I would on the baz stuff though but that's cool as that is there thing they enjoy.

But yeah we did have a guy pricing everything with 1 gp added to the price. Been watching to see if they are autobotting but haven't seen any sign of it so far other then the weird price.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

I just look at the prices, decide to just vendor or hold some stuff, and set the rest cheaper.

If the bots want to buy my stuff fine.

If they don't they get to beat my prices and I drive the price down to more sane levels (and repeat next time I set up the trader).

It would be nice if the automated bots went away though.
    I have not seen them recently (gave up looking) but I'm sure they are still there.
    Svann2 likes this.
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

Go ahead and keep Krono in the game but remove it as a way to pay for your subscription. I wonder how many people who pay for their subs with krono buy them with rl cash from Daybreak. I would not think many do.
  18. Schadenfreude Augur

Yes. You miss the point, these days I too put in more time in bazaar (and /general) than anywhere else and I'm on FV where 98% of all items are droppable so we've comfortably the biggest server when it comes to buying and selling. This isn't that.

The reason they never go offline is their script does not work in offline trader mode so they never go offline even when asleep. If I'm going to be asleep for 7-8 hours or otherwise away from the computer for an extended period time it makes no sense whatsoever to keep my trader online as all you are doing is running the risk of something client side or server side causing your trader to go linkdead. Outwith a zone crash or server crash an offline trader avoids all that.
  19. Schadenfreude Augur

I haven't paid for an expansion since they made them available in game and a lot of long term players exclusively use Kronos to pay for All Access. Every Gift expansion, Heroic or Krono that exists someone originally paid for it with actual cash.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am sorry to say a lot of us keep our traders online 24/7 even if it makes no sense to you.