Tired of competing against MuiQuasi bazaar sellers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Tucoh Augur

Bingo.

A person with a decent max-level solo / molo / duo can earn decent plat/hour from a variety of different ways that don't involve selling commodity goods that bots are involved in. A player who wants to sell commodity goods might be better off vendoring those goods and just focusing on drops they can liquidate without competing with bots. I'm unaffected by this problem because I have someone who liquidates everything for me, and I try to only play at new content release where new drops aren't commoditized yet. But I still recognize the problem.

Personally I think someone looking to sell their goods on the bazaar should just treat whatever bazaar bots as a "community modernization" and use them to their fullest. The entire bazaar experience is bizarre to me after getting used to what modern MMOs provide and playing a TLP with a real social economy. The bazaar is a combination of the worst of both worlds.
  2. Godsanvil Journeyman

I don't think they have the man power to stop it. Same thing happens on pretty much every mmo i play. Also could be they don't know. Or they don't know how to fix it. When your whole market is created by afk players its hard to enforce a no bot selling rule. How can they prove it isn't a person just changing prices to undercut people.
  3. Duder Augur

That is the exact opposite of what actually occurs. The market availability becomes diminished because trying to sell anything it isn't worth the legitimate players' time. All you end up left with is bots. The legitimate player becomes more frustrated with the state of the game when they can't even generate platinum to do things like combine their luck augs that cost an exorbitant amount of plat, or generate plat to pay for goods from friends or guildmates. Adjusting your play, or asking that others adjust their play strategy around the behavior of the cheating programs is not the way to contribute to a healthy future for any game. Do not buy from /\/\Q traders, do not sell to /\/\Q traders.
    Jumbur likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

Thought experiment:
    If there were 2 bazaar bots constantly undercutting each other how long would it take before they were giving it away?
    :confused:
  5. Duder Augur

Great, and what about the third legitimate person who put time into generating that item legitimately? How about the health of the economy? Free is not a good thing.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Free is a great thing. Then you can resell it for a reasonable price. Who doesnt like free?
  7. seber Augur

I look other sale items at cut price by 80% so then go bed lol.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I have heard they can put a floor price on items so as not to let that happen. There are also percentage move checks. If something is selling for 100pp and someone puts that item up for 10pp the bot will ignore it and not chase it. It was in a thread here 2-3 years ago.
  9. Marton Augur

I cancelled my traders for the same reason. It's not worth my time to fight with automated traders for some plat.
    Duder likes this.
  10. Duder Augur

How will you resell it if there are others being botted for sale? Obviously free is an exaggeration but you are always hyper focused on everything being cheap. Do you put time into anything you do? What's that time worth to you? Generally, things in EQ do require time. But when goods and materials are gathered via afk play and then botted in the bazaar via afk play, what are you even playing? You sure do defend the abundant abuse of /\/\Q a lot.
    WeezFv likes this.
  11. alicard Elder

They won't do anything to those using bots to price. Around 6 months ago I petitioned three traders run by the same person that would auto price exactly every 25 minutes. I had a response saying they would look into it so I proceeded to send a petition every 24 minutes to let them know the prices were going to change right now at so and so time. Did this for about two hours and never heard back on my petition again and the same three bots are still there today (their timer has changed though lol.)
    Duder likes this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Darkpaw looks first at the bottom line and second at everything else. In this, they are like almost every corporation on the planet. I am not saying it has to be that way, or even that it ought to be that way, but that is the way it is. Management looks at money. Players look at other things. We should not assume that the management of DPG is in any way altruistic. It is a for profit business first.
    Duder likes this.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea there are few more stuff for sell but i dont think any other server has 500-600 traders either. I try to be cheap but some chars you cant keep up with them lol i kinda gave up being the cheapest but i do well cant complain.

Andarriel
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wow, you actually had the timer on their scripts, and you didn't have any fun with them? Opportunity lost ;)
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Personally, Im to cheap to pay the extra fee, so I HATE when people do it...
    ...but if your trader is a rogue with sneak enabled, it might have that effect...

Just be aware that you are also pissing off legitimate players who just want to make a good deal in /baz, as they will be wasting their time looking for your trader...
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

???
    They just made a mistake that cost them a krono. Why would they keep doing that? How would they keep doing that? Unless you are saying they dupe and then thats a much more serious accusation.
  17. Duder Augur

Quantity is not an issue for teams that operate 24/7.
  18. alicard Elder

I kept changing my prices on certain items during those 2 hours so they would keep changing theirs to make sure they noticed the changes on each petition.

This person has been using the program for so long that he/she has a low price set on any item that is worth anything. You can easily tell because once you hit their bottom price it is actually a whole number like 100000.
  19. code-zero Augur

AFAIK the bot programs check prices at some set interval and aren't going to immediately lower the price as soon as you change yours. What's being described sounds more like a real player with too much time on their hands watching a select number of items and updating on the fly. Before offline mode when I had a bench tech job I'd have my trader up and would do just that sort of thing all day constantly refreshing the search for items I either wanted to scoop up or wanted to clear out.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Laronk Augur

There's no reason why the bot couldn't be set to do random intervals as well also the bot doesn't have to update all the items at once.

Sure the poorly setup bot might be easy to catch but the people running the game have to be really careful about false positives. I don't think anything will make someone quit a 20 year old game faster than a false ban.

I think there's two ways to address this:

1. Offline only traders, this might upset more people and I think they'd need to make it so you can log into your normal character while the trader character is offline. While you could still automate a trader logging in every hour or so updating their prices and then going back offline trader mode
    2. The feature I keep asking for, an auction house (think something like wow). Items can only stay up for 7 days and the listing fee is 5% (or some other number but something significant enough where you don't want to relist the same item 15 times in a day), the only way to change the asking price is to take the item down and relist it.
    Duder likes this.