Can we please get agents of change on all server?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Montag, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Montag Augur

People love going back and doing old raid bosses. Why are we denying them that?

On many servers people poopsock all the old raids and dragons and stuff so when you get the itch to go kill one they're never up.

There are people who would still be subscribed and playing of this was in, cause it gives them something to do when, say their guild situation falls apart or their main grouping pals take a break etc.

Are we afraid we'll crash three market on cloaks of flames or that too many level 1s will be wearing vex thal gear in a game where you can already buy heroic characters?
    Fenthen, dank, Skuz and 7 others like this.
  2. kimbotta Lorekeeper

This comes up every month. It's a resource issue. If they add them to all the servers and people are spinning up 1000's more instances per server lag will become even worse.

The servers just can't handle the increased load that would come with this addition.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I really doubt 1000's of instances is realistic, just give the instance a 4,5 day lockout like all other raid instances. Most of the interesting loot is no drop anyway, and once everyone get the item they want, they will be moving on.

The tradeable old raidloot won't be a big money maker if everyone with a 6-box can get the item for themselves. So I don't see instance flipping being a big server load in the long term.
    Fenthen, IblisTheMage and Skuz like this.
  4. Jaylnn Gnomish Bog Jogger

Unfortunately i don't see this happening. If dbg were to poll the players, (conjecture incoming) i would think the vast majority would say yes please... or be completely indifferent to it. It has no negative impacts outside of the 5-10 people on each server who perma most of each old world boss atm.

Most of the servers if it was added would flock to do them, for a few weeks. After that it would be as people have a specific need, such as PoP flagging for current era needs.

As much as the population would love it, it's not gonna happen. The devs get it in their head that if they do something like this, it will ruin the game. They dig their heels in and continue to fight tooth and nail that the entire game would be ruined by adding quality of life updates. They like to pretend that "classic" is classic, and changing anything will make it unclassic.

I personally would love it. There have been old world bosses i have been trying for a long time to get credit for killing. With work i don't have a ton of extra time outside raids. I am a little biased because i would love to be able to go and do old things on my own time, vs having to track something for months or hope for a server crash when i will be home for that 12 hour window.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  5. Jaylnn Gnomish Bog Jogger

If anything, it would be about 2 weeks of multiple instances. After that, no one would even care. its the shiny factor of something new. People would do them at first, then we would have maybe 5-6 a day being done on a server tops. It would have i would imagine very little impact on the server stability. When people were flipping the instances for the anniversary aug, it made sense. There were hundreds of people there, and it was soloable. So people were bringing there armies and popping 5+ instances each evry 10 minutes. I counted 75 fires at one point. So it was noticeable on the servers. There just wouldnt be that kind of interest on old world events after 2-3 (5 day) lockouts.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Feel free to join Phinny or Miragul, and AoC to your hearts content.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

I think this is the crux of the matter. What's the payoff for DPG? None.
  8. Jaylnn Gnomish Bog Jogger

i don't disagree, but to be play devils advocate. There is a lot of precedent for it. EQ is this. They spend tons of resources each expansion, making quests that will be done once maybe twice. Look at merc tasks. There is no reward for the vast majoriy outside a few hundred plat after the first run through. Anniversary tasks, Limited time content. Most get their stuff, and don't bother to ever go back again. it really isn't any different. It's a quality of life update and that's about it. There is no real incentive either way, but there isn't much incentive to make one time tasks either.

It is an apples to oranges analogy i know.
  9. KarmaKitty Augur

I try on my main, but a lot of stuff I totally ignore with Alts. They exist only to support the main and for
    something to do when I get board with the main.

Even with the main, there is a ton of stuff I skipped at the time. In many cases, the reward is not worth going back. Make gear rewards at least heirloom or make them something anyone at any level can use.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

I think you are likely correct in your assumption. It would seem more likely that those folks who really want to live in the past are probably already doing so on a TLP server. In any case, doing something that could increase the already excessive lag being experienced in-game would be unwise. On the other hand, if more resources were allocated...pigs began to learn to fly...rangers really were great tanks, etc. I would vote for it. I wouldn't be willing to pay more for it though.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What is the work involved to put them on live servers? Considering the work is already done and they would just have to enable it on live servers. It is likely that they have just made a decision that they don't want these on live servers.

They are on a 2.5 day lockout for trash and a 6.5 day lockout for the bosses and are account wide lockouts so you can't easily chain them.
    Jumbur and Skuz like this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I don't see it being worse than spinning up all the BB missions for the augs.

Finding some of the PoP mobs up for Artisan Prize is still an issue. Player love killing gods!
    Fenthen, Skuz and Jumbur like this.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

By thousands of people. The number of people who want to go back to old raid mobs on live servers probably number in the dozens.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't know the amount of work involved. It's almost never as easy as flipping a switch, though.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Us uninformed masses think it is a switch that is already working on some of the servers. :p
    Fenthen likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Considering they have them on TLP servers, the test server and have the ability to turn them off with a patch once a server hits live it won't be a large amount of work. Sure it isn't as easy as flipping a switch but I never said it was. At most it is likely removing the code that limits it to the test and progression servers.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I know that Miragul didn't have AoC at launch & I don't think they were added later on.
    Dythan likes this.
  18. Aegir Augur

They could add them to all servers 2 weeks/year as a special event?
    Raccoo and Skuz like this.
  19. Annastasya Augur

No. Can we not? How about we keep as much of the TLP crap away from live servers as humanly possible.
  20. FrozenWater Augur

Care to give a reason against AoC's in particular? Personally I see no reason not to.
    Fenthen and Raccoo like this.