Are we actively trying to flush this game down toilet?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Spankage Elder

Eagerly awaiting the next iteration of "not-so-thinly veiled thread about subscription timer and my inability to cope with change " :^}

It is truly impressive the frequency with which a conversation is repeated on these forums
    Gyurika Godofwar and Cuuthbert like this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Fine? I remember many complaints from people about crashing while zoning in those ancient days. In any case, I am hooked. I do freely admit it. It is much less expensive than some other sorts of diversions that I have engaged in. In that sense, it has actually saved me money.

Having spewed that drivel, I do wish that there were changes. The lag is really unacceptable of late. Making folks leave the game to look up when an account expires just seems amateurish.

On the flip side, the forums have really sped up for me. Whatever deity made that happen deserves my thanks. I also like that Dreamweaver has been much more forthcoming with updates on downtimes than usually happened in the past. EQ is a bit of a mixed bag. Much like me.
    Coagagin likes this.
  3. Cuuthbert Augur

yup may as well just delete your accounts now. I hear Lilly's Garden does not have lag problems
    Elyssanda likes this.
  4. Metanis Bad Company

Kind of interesting you knew about that Lilly's Garden. I had to web search it. That was 5 minutes ago and I'm already level 100...
    Elyssanda and Cuuthbert like this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Not gonna lie, got a good chuckle when I tried to login to the forum this morning and got redirected to the company that sold EQ 6 years ago.

[IMG]
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Svann2 and Nennius like this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah for whatever reason the login has pointed there since the sale to CN, but rather than change it they added a redirect. When the backend goes offline for maintenance the redirect stops working.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Hayzeus Augur

See, this is indicative of a more insidious problem. Time and time again, the "right" fix is ignored in deference to a quick fix. People pretend like they'll "get back to it" when they "have more time," and then everyone forgets the quick fix was implemented in the first place (or apathy just reinforces their lack of care to give a damn).

As the years roll on, the quick fixes start to outnumber the right fixes, and you end up with a mine field of stupid little things like this...

It's pathetic really, but I'm willing to bet there are hundreds, if not thousands, of "quick little fixes" littering this old jalopy of a game. I bet the situation is even worse than we can even imagine now that the IP has changed hands a few times. Many of these quick little fixes (even if they're documented "somewhere") are mostly forgot about. Even if they remember them... they can't possibly get to them all with their limited resources.

Then you end up with a game full of weird little things happenings or Krono exchanges not working correctly. Once your game is more "quick fix" than legitimate fix, it's a slow spiral because you end up with more things than you can reasonably expect to get fixed. Eventually, one of them will snow ball into a truly game breaking fiasco.

Duct tape fixes everything... for a short period of time. Then you end up with forum threads about toilets.
    Duder likes this.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

FTFY
  9. Hayzeus Augur

lol, so you don't disagree... you just didn't like the phrasing I used? Oddly, you felt that paraphrasing what I said was better than what you would have been able to add with your own words?

Okie dokie. Thanks for the +1. I'll take it.

Hey, I understand the passive aggressive way in which you tried to explain that it's "okay" because you believe that all long lived software in "the history of the planet" will have these issues, but a) you're wrong and b) you should have the backbone to offer your opinions in YOUR words instead of pretending to valiantly "fix" what other people have opined... as if your opinion is somehow better than the opinions of others. It's just not.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You took that way too personally I think.
  11. Hayzeus Augur

I can respect that as well. I don't really mind because... meh... it's an online forum about a 22 year old game.

I was just trying to indicate that, at the least, I was putting my opinions out there in my own words instead of just riding on the coattails of what other people said. Apparently, I was still unclear about what I meant, but I can live with that lack of clarity also. It makes for fun forum questing.

For the record, my opinion is no less or more valuable than anyone else's. We're mostly all just a bunch of opinionated peeps talking about a 22-year old jalopy of a game. I was just hoping that Tatanka could put his own thoughts out there like an adult instead of trying to pretend that I said something when I clearly did not. I did not put words in his mouth. I asked him, instead, to speak his own words out of his own mouth. Do I look as foolish? Sure, probably, but at least I did it with my own words and opinions.
    Duder and Skuz like this.
  12. KrakenReality Augur

Skuz, I thought you quit at your ToV bug thread rant? What happened?
  13. Tucoh Augur

false.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

totally and completely true.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I took a few weeks off but I missed my guildies too much :)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

^
    Took him 2 weeks to give up trying to /report himself as a bug

:)
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

They still, after 5 months, can't put mobs on the ground.

[IMG]
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.