SK suspend companion AA question...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, I had never used this on my SK before. I was doing a quest which had comments mentioning pets could be an issue, so I suspended it. Did a quick test, was able to bring it back, and suspend it again. Great.

Did the quest (which required several zone changes), and when I got back to PoK, clicking the suspend companion button told me I had no saved pet. Had to roll a new one.

So, I know mages can save pets across zone lines. Reading the AA text, the SK one doesn't mention zoning, but then, neither does the mage AA text. Did I see a bug, or can SKs not suspend and keep a pet through zoning?
  2. menown Augur

Death's kill suspended pets. Did you die? Otherwise, I do not know.
  3. Sheebea Augur

I can't remember loosing my skelli zoning in recent history either. Only had lost em to a death as posted above.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

No, didn't die. Suspended the pet, got the quest, ran the quest (which entailed zoning about 6 times), and then tried to unsuspend when the quest was done.
  5. Tinantier New Member

What level in companion's suspension do you have? You need at least 4 for it to work with zoning.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Maxed, 8/8.

Since you mentioned level 4, I went and read the text on Raidloot. I do see it, so yes, my pet shouldn't have been poofed. Maybe there's something goofy with that particular quest (Tsaph's Day Off), since it's not a player who's porting you.

It's also too bad that the AA text doesn't keep all the cumulative changes in the text, and you have to go to an external site to see it. It would be nice if the AA tab would scroll all the way through all ranks, so it would be easier to keep track of stuff.
  7. Zynt Augur

No idea if it means anything but one of my active pets poofed a few days ago after doing a HA in ETWK, one of the WK3 missions. I got ported out minus pet and pet was alive and well before zoning out.
  8. Raytan Augur

I've a magician, but not a SK, so they may vary somewhat. A mage, and I know an enchanter as well, gets several levels of the AA to suspend a pet. Extra levels allow you to suspend your pet in various forms. Going from memory, level 1 allows you to suspend a pet, but your pet will not maintain buffs and if you zone with your pet suspended, your pet will die. The second level allows you to zone or camp without killing your pet, but your pet still loses buffs. The third level, if I recall correctly, allows you to zone or camp, maintain your pet and maintain your pets buffs.

With AA consolidation there are more levels for suspending your pet, but I believe they add other things for your pet. The final level allows you to suspend your pet and call a second pet.

I have all the levels for suspend pet, but will sometimes still lose a pet on a zone crash, server crash, and sometimes when the server is simply taken down for service, though these tend to happen when I camp in an instance zone like the GH or neighborhood, and then not always.

If SK's work the same, you may need more levels of pet suspension in order to zone or camp and maintain your pet. Early in levels, I tended to leave the pet out when camping, but REALLY early on you used to be able to shroud, camp, and maintain your pet. Not sure if that will still work, but your pet gets put into a limbo when you shroud.

Good luck.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

per the posts in the thread, I have all ranks of the AA, and rank 4 states it saves through zoning.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

It's not normal, for sure. On my SK I sometimes summon a pet and suspend it while I'm waiting on my merc to respawn for a rez. Works every time.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Definitely not normal behavior. I have seen similar suspended pet behavior with my Mage crew. I think it has something to do with the way characters are moved around by NPCs in quests or teleporters.

One way to maybe test this is suspend your pet in PoK, zone into Lobby, use Magus to teleport to Nedaria's, use Magus to port elsewhere, then try un-suspending pet?