Revamp the language

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kolaisa, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Pretty much in line with how the whole game functions.

At level 50 a single item of gear could have a dramatic effect, by 115 every single thing you do to improve your character is miniscule in impact, but you have a much larger list of things you can make improvements to.
    So the game changes over time to become a "game of inches" or fractions of inches even.
  2. Tappin Augur

But why can't that be displayed in text of abilities and spells?
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

[IMG]
  4. Tappin Augur

Why can’t AA description show the actual % increase, instead of cumulative % increase? As you said, the game is a game of inches, why can’t the description reflect that.
  5. Riou EQResource

No game with AA equivalents does this, they only give the Total Value of the ability at current Rank, only added info sometimes is what the next ranks Total will be at, which EQ also does with the Next Rank tab

It's an industry standard for this type of thing
  6. Tappin Augur

It's disingenuous, misleading, and confusing. If I did this at my work, provided only cumulative %, I would absolutely be called out on the spot for it. If they want to have cumulative %, then it takes not effort to provide the other stat as a side note or the other way around.
  7. Zinth Augur

could change it to "raises your AC by 10 to a total of 100" or "raises your crit heal chance by 0.1% to a total of 27.1%" etc. etc.
  8. Scila Augur

Somebody would still complain that math is hard
  9. Ezbro Elder

When you grind 800 aa points to get "increases your chance to crit with 100%", which if it was 1% to begin with, now is 2%...
    2% for 800 aa's. Totally a time sink, and if they admitted to that in plain text in game, it would make you want to murder someone.
  10. Zinth Augur

so how is that different from downtimes, patches and crashes? ;-)
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think some people get far too wrapped up in the details of small things and lose sight of the bigger picture.

If an AA gives me a benefit then great, personally I don't get bogged down in the minutae of each AA - all I give a crap about is whether it increases my parse some more, if it does great, if it doesn't then its useless and needs looking at, each aa is just a small part of the overall machine driving the fun parts of the game and playing my character.

If an AA says "makes you hit harder" or "makes you crit more often" or "makes your crits do more damage" that's all I personally want details wise, a % to me is irrelevant anyway, % of what? - who the hell cares so long as it works. I trust the devs know what they are doing (at least most of the time).
  12. Ezbro Elder

Would be nice to not have to use a third party parse program to see if my damage went up the expected value. It could easily be displayed better in the game UI.
  13. Rhayzer TheTrickster Lorekeeper

Just like calling a zone a hot zone when in reality its only a kill task that gives bonus once every 24 hours.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

What kind of work do you do?

I feel like if I was buying... candy. And the candy is $1. And I said here's $20 how much candy can I buy, and the clerk said 20 pieces, and then I handed them another dollar, and they said 21 pieces, I wouldn't get mad and accuse them of being "disingenuous, misleading, and confusing" when they did not hand me 41 pieces of candy. I also would not accuse them of being "disingenuous, misleading, and confusing" for not saying that the extra dollar gets me 1 more candy bringing my grand total of candies to 21. It's really not necessary to complicate things to that level. $20 gets 20 candies and $1 more gets 21 candies.

Rank 20 of Armor gets you 120 AC and rank 21 gets you 122 AC. I wouldn't think that I get 242 AC total when I buy the next rank it just makes no sense. (The AC values I used are not game actual).
  15. Gigginriff New Member

What if the AAs granted you free pizza? Would that be better?
  16. Coagagin Guild house cat

18 hours but whose counting? Other experience in those zones is also increased, which is good for those of appropriate level to grind away. You see this a lot in zones like Resplendent Temple and Arthritex (sp). As long as they aren't grinding task mobs, more power to them.

- Coag
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

True enough, but there is another perspective. For those who level/AA slowly (i.e. never come close to finishing AAs), it's nice to know which ones give a bigger bang for the buck, and to concentrate on those.

Having said that, reading the current rank tab and then the next rank tab has been (almost) enough for me to figure out my priority. I say almost, as there are a few AA lines which give really pathetic gains in the ranks I'm currently offered, but which give really nice gains at later ranks, sometimes making it worth getting the sucky ranks sooner rather than later (General Sturdiness comes to mind, as an example). For those, taking a look at raidloot's AA tab has been helpful, so you can see which lines have some nice jumps up ahead.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't disagree but why does it matter? You're going to buy them all anyway eventually. You know at this point what the AAs do so who cares about the specific value? You're going to buy them in roughly the same order you do every expansion.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Your posts never fail to miss the point. Thanks for always being reliable, Tappin.
  20. Ezbro Elder

I agree, but the OP wanted the clarity, and they could implement it if they wanted.