EverQuest Remake.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Moforyguy, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Moforyguy Elder

Waiting for the next TLP to arrive got me thinking how awesome EverQuest would be with updated graphics like how Mortal Online 2 looks. Unreal engine looks amazing. I would buy that for 60$ and sub fee no problem. Maybe EQ 3 will have nice graphics like this?
  2. Doop New Member

Give Gnawl all your money then, the man is a legend with what he has done!

3. Machen New Member

If you are playing EQ because of the graphics, or not playing eq because of the graphics.... Either way you are doing it wrong. EQ from 1999 to 2022 has been about the gameplay despite the graphics. After all, it was built from ground up on games with zero graphics.
    Skuz, Tiglath and Iyacc like this.
  4. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

I've always felt if you are playing EQ for the gameplay you are doing it wrong. If I wanted to play a game for its gameplay I'd play literally any other mmorpg. I actually personally hate the game itself. I've always returned to EQ because of the people and the community. As much as I hate admitting it, the community in every other online game I've ever played make even the most degenerate toxic EQ players look like mature PhD scholars who always help the homeless and would run in to a burning fire to save someone.
    Iyacc likes this.
  5. Corydon Augur

Please send me a bunch of that grass you have smoked :)
    Nolrog likes this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

I don't see how this helps. You have much nicer graphics but the same old game play. I don't see how this brings anyone back or anyone new.
  7. Ketzerei84 Elder

I man leave it as is but convert the whole thing to VR. Gnawl 2024!
  8. Lejaun Augur

Better graphics bring people back because it makes the game look modern and new. Some people dismiss playing Everquest simply because the graphics are, well, over two decades old. Probably not enough people would come back or start brand new to warrant the expenses redoing all of the graphics would cost (and it would have to be better than that video posted), but for many of us in the game it would be nice.....just don't "New Freeport" everything, please.
    TheInquisitor and Jumbur like this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they could keep a visually consistent "EQ-style", then I would mind some graphical improvement. For example, the character select screen is nicely detailed(and doesn't clash visually with the character), but very few in-game zones lives up to that level of detail...

Not to mention all the other perks a new 3d-engine would offer, like a much higher and consistent framerate on raids...
  10. Moforyguy Elder

Yah fellas I was just wishful thinking about it because I've been playing mortal online 2 and the graphics are beautiful, it got me thinking how fun EQ would be looking that good. Like Cazic Thule would be SCARY!
  11. Triconix Augur

They remade CT already.
    [IMG]
  12. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Just play past the first year on a server and you might get to enjoy that raid with death touching fire walls, fears, emotes, adds, and friendly NPCs. Good times!

Or just keep killing the same old summon the zone and GFlux some people CT in classic-velious.
    Triconix likes this.
  13. Febb Augur

As much as I love EQ, using the same mechanics and class design in a new game would never work.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A revamped EQ with a new engine could allow a lot more scope for gameplay improvements too.

64 bit, DX 12 engine with a fully functioning Z-axis & a better pathing engine would rock.
    Biggest change would be getting all the old assets into an industry-standard type.
    Then a character-model revamp for new zones.

GFX update and hand in hand with it a UI overhaul to simplify it as much as possible would be a huge improvement, market the game after those are done & I could see subs rising quite a bit.
  15. Aenoan Augur

At this point in time. I really just want a better cleaner UI. Trying to make everything fit without it looking like the original from 2000. Haha. And a good full screen option that doesn't randomly reset it to a windowed mode when it feels like it.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I know the wish list is long, but so is the list of technical hurdles.

The very first of which that needs to be addressed is the move to a 64-bit client. It is the hurdle that makes clearing all the other hurdles even remotely possible.

Until the game client is upgraded to 64-bit, we're stuck in 2001.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well strictly speaking the current engine dates to 2004 but yeah moving to 64 bit will help a lot.
  18. Lejaun Augur

I think it could, especially if they tweaked things to add in a bit more interaction. Keep mechanics and design as the bones of the project, but update what can be done by players.