Have MMO's become less social?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Skuz, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Godsanvil Journeyman

I talk to people just as much. But i seldom group. I can't sit at my computer anymore and grind for hours in a row with a group. So when i get to content i can't solo anymore i tend to just quit. I wish they would make a game that was like a cross between this and Dragon age. You start solo and as you go you pick up more party members as you lvl. That you have to gear set up and manage. Then have instanced content that is like a group of 5 players with no mercs.
  2. NoMoreTLPs Journeyman

liar
  3. NoMoreTLPs Journeyman

Exactly...

The time investment the TLPs require in order to progress is so absurd for your average person who has some semblance of balance in their lives.

I'm not immune to this, when I was heavily into TLPs my productivity at work dropped significantly, when i would be like "ill just park my guy on OOT to camp ancient cyclopse", and like 10 hours later, DPS racing enchanters with Allizasaur pets etc, would come up empty handed.

Thats the rabbit hole i finally escaped from in TLPs.. the people who have the time to sit there all day camping mobs, epic spawns, etc monopolize them and forces you to basically have to get your wallet out with Krono to progress

Everyone has played the Classic start TLPs so much now, its basically a script everyone follows at the release of every new TLP, just racing to rare spawns etc to establish monopolies. Lots of premade groups that exclusively play with each other, if they arent outright botting multiple accounts and playing by themselves
  4. Aenoan Augur

I think the biggest issue is DBgames and even SOE before that refused to budge on their stance to draw in players. Of course TLPs worked to bring back players but from my experience you end up seeing a steady decline depending on the expansion release. I know of the say 40ish people I play with half are gone by mid kunark and rest are gone by PoP and just wait for a re-release of classic.

They really need to introduce a better catch up system. The heroic boost to 85, is kinda worthless if the exp still like 0.010% an hour (hyperbole) they need to close that gap and boost exp significantly at least until you are one expansion from the last level cap.

I've been back a week and I pretty much play every day for 4-6 hours (at some point I call it a day) and all of that time is LFG or trying to form a group and every time I venture to GH or PoK its afk's as far as the eye can see. Thank goodness for mercs. I don't have much expectation for change.
    I should add I got a lv 90 and a lv 70 toon, I can molo quite well on both but its not as fun but I also get what people are saying here. Even though I can't stand the game, WoW did do it right but even now their community is drifting with more and more tools to group without actually doing it, like their LFG/auto group system for lower end raids and easiest tier group dungeons.
    The only content I enjoy nowadays is their mythic dungeons, because its fun competiting against other players in timed runs. But with WoW being I dare to say too easy in some aspects and too difficult because of the gear score/achievement gating that occurs. It looses something.

Anyway I played both games pretty religiously for a long time eq from classic (01) until about 05/06 when WoW came out played that until now both games I got to a point of expansion skipping. Because it wasn't really anything new to me.
    Still the same kill boss adds1 through 4 spawn kill back on boss and stay outta fire. Other than one fight where they threw in Dance, Dance Revolution into the mix.

/oldmanmode off
  5. Arctodus Elder

At this point with EQ it is time to increase XP gains across the board, all servers. Also drop rates need increased for raids, names, and quest items. It is a TLP you spend 8 to 12 weeks on an expansion and MoTM is cancer. You use to be able to strategically down raid bosses with 30 to 50 folks not out gearing the content.
  6. Mrjon3s Augur

So heres usually what happens when I play a TLP or any MMORPG. I join random groups make friends join a guild make friends form a click then everyone starts quitting.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It didn't occur to me until recently that these social changes happened quite a while back, and are not a recent thing. I remember when WoW launched, there was a quest I couldn't do solo. I talked to a guy nearby doing the quest also and we teamed up. No conversation, no continued grouping, we finished the quest and went our separate ways.

I had forgotten about that, but that's the first time I really experienced anything like that.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I use Vent, Discord, Teamspeak, Facebook and 2 guild websites in EQ and am typically in 5-7 chat channels ingame other than /gu /rs /g.

Less social? Fewer people, waaaay more communication.