Morell's Challenge and the insta-killing purple cloud of death

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by narksar, Apr 6, 2021.

1. narksar Augur

While on this task, I went to, and quickly, killed the first mob Yngvar. After killing him, I then proceeded down the hallway to the next mob I was supposed to kill. As I opened the door to the second mob, Otraff, there was no purple cloud of death, yet I was immediately struck dead and give a message indicating that that's what had killed me. I accidentally returned to the guild lobby. I ran back, restarted the whole task. Tried again. Died in the exact same spot, same way. 180k+hp just gone. This time I resurrected there, didn't die again and tried to hobble my way through the rest of the task as I couldn't stop to regain my stamina for fear of the purple cloud of death reaching me due to wasting too much time. Eventually I completed all the task's steps and just had to return to the quest giver, then accidentally ran too fast down the stairs from the rooms with the orbs to go back to the quest giver and apparently even though that's all I had left to do and by the time I realized the death cloud was there, blocking me from returning to the quest mob, I was already dead again. This time I resurrected back at the lobby because I felt it was too dangerous to rez in the cloud. But then I realized I had lost some experience so I thought I'd run all the way back to Morell's Castle and just finish the last part of task with the quest giver so I could try to regain my experience. I got to the quest mob, told him to send me in. Zoned into the instance, BAM, insta-killed again by the purple cloud of death. I didn't even know it was at the zone in but also makes it weird; how the hell was I supposed to talk to the quest mob at the zone in, if the zone in is filled with the cloud of death? If you're going to put an insta-death cloud in the game, its gotta be set up properly. Otherwise you should just have nasty damage from it so people don't insta-die from bugs regarding its location and can avoid such issues on their own.

After limping through the quest from my second death, I also noticed that Resurrection Sickness states that it "decreases attack speed by 10%". This is misworded or it is a bug. The 90% attack speed I had is not 10% less than the 183% attack speed I normally have.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

While I can't speak about the purple cloud of death issue... ANY slow spell negates ALL haste effects. Thus base atk speed of 100% - 10% of that leaves you at 90%. This is also why slowing big bad mobs is such a huge deal, even if it's the tiniest of slows possible.
  3. Gesiah Elder

T
    The hallway between Yngvar and Otraff is a trap. You need to go back to the courtyard and go though the other door to get the last 3 mobs. This is the way it's been since House of Thule was released. Though admittedly I forgot about the trapped hallway and killed half my group before I remembered how it needed to be done (oooops, my bad). I cannot speak to the rez sickness "bug" because I don't really care that much tbh.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I have never completed that quest because I thought it was buggy, and that the deathcloud was invisible. Is there a way to see which way is trapped, or are you supposed to beat it with trial and error?
  5. narksar Augur

But there's nothing to indicate that is is a trap, you can't even see the cloud there and the green beacon indicates that that's the way to go. Perhaps this is a bug everyone just accepted as a "trap"?
  6. Gesiah Elder

Sure it's possible! But then you have to admit it's also possible it was misleading on purpose. There are lots of traps and things in this game that were never indicated by glowing clouds and green beacons. Look at Plane of Mischief (invisible bridges, floor traps, one way doors...) -- plenty of shenanigan's there.

I'm just pointing to the fact the mission can be completed as is by avoiding the hallway between the two mobs. There are at least 2 doors in the court yard and all mobs are accessible without ever having to use that hallway. You can even pull all mobs to the court yard if you wish.
  7. narksar Augur

True, but the traps and such (especially in Plane of Mischief) were really part of the theme of PoM and none of those are instant death.

I'm not saying it can't be completed "as is". I'm identifying that it appears to be a bug. I'm not saying there's not a work around prior to it getting fixed.