Overseer - conversion quest duration

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Wulfhere, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Wulfhere Augur

Conversion quests say they have a duration of 10 seconds. When you start one, the duration is actually 20 seconds. This was not happening until recent week(s).

Update: When I start a 12 hour quest, the duration is actually 12 hours and 10 seconds.

Update: A 3 hour quest is actually 3 hours and 10 seconds. There seems to be an extra 10 seconds padded to every quest.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

fix your clock
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dythan is correct.

Every issue I have had with timers on conversions & missions was fixed immediately by sync PC clock with internet time - even a good pc will lose or gain time vs the atomic clock the internet time uses & which the EQ servers base their clocks upon.

Here's a link on how to do it. - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-time-servers-windows-10

I use pool.ntp.org rather than time.windows.com simply because the windows one is known to have been unreliable in the past.

If your PC is above 5 years old it is also worth replacing the PC Clock battery on the motherboard & changing it every 4-5 years.

I have made it a habit now to synch my PC clock right before every Raid and it seems to help abilities be a little more responsive YMMV.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Wulfhere Augur

Thanks guys. I already had ntp setup and now I've updated task scheduler to run it daily.

I think this could be an underlying problem for buffs and combat abilities fading "early" and not allowing the next ability to be activated, etc.. The EQ client needs to sync with the EQ server more robustly and not rely on such services entirely.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

That's already been semi-confirmed by (someone?) as the client and server being on different "ticks" (3 second intervals). It was something about starting and ending in between ticks, when the server hits, it calls for the spell to end, but the client keeps counting to the end of the tick. If something is going to hit in the middle of a tick, they have to end it earlier instead of later, which should be 1-2 seconds. I think its a trade off for the way the underlying systems have to perform.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

I've tested Overseer quest durations and they are corrected by having Windows properly time synchronized.

ps: I found that my W32Time service was set to Manual and was not running since my last reboot (via Windows 8.1 Update) in March. I changed it to start Automatic (in Services) and updated system time. I also used regedit to change its weekly schedule to daily (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient\SpecialPollInterval = 86400).
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

Thats natural, its manual (triggered) where the trigger is the scheduled task that runs the sync command. If it's running all the time it's not doing anything in the background, only when the sync command is run. The other thing I researched, there's a flag that will automatically change the special poll interval automatically according to how far it drifts between syncs. You can either specify the range that it can set poll interval to, or disable it but I would have to see if I can locate that information again. 24 hours is a good period to set it to as default is like a week which is good enough for normal computer stuff but not for the game.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

delete.
    What happened to my delete button???
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

some of us never had one. I think they took yours away to even the playing field.

But they gave us all the ability to have special words under our name
    Svann2 likes this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

Did some testing on my own Internet Time configurations. Ran TRACERT to a variety of NTP servers. All I can say is time.cloudflare.com is less than half the latency of any other server I tested and it's only 5 hops from my location in Wisconsin.
    Skuz likes this.