You gotta fix this lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ninelder, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Warpeace Augur

If they really want the fart in the wind approach its going to cost them in subs. Might not be today but why pay for a horrible gaming experience / environment?
    I'm only paying for three subs but seriously considering why I should continue considering my servers performance. Its a hell of a game but in its current state its just terrible.
    Fenthen likes this.
  2. The real Sandaormo Augur

I really only see lag on certain raids, Zlandicar (seen full on locked instance), Tantor ( some rubber banding). Other than that it seems to run fine. Not trying to sit here and say there is no lag for people because I do hear people screaming about it in guild, this is just my experience.

3 boxing or in groups lag is rarely an issue if ever.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

That would certainly stop the Unity aug farming. No one is going to stand around in Qeynos Hills for 30 minutes waiting for the timer to expire. I waited a week before starting on Unity. Most of the time on Phinny I'm the only one there. Maybe one other group.

For the record, I don't think Unity farming has anything to do with the lag.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

So now a year after the initial COVID lockdowns the lag is peaking due to COVID? Color me dubious.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The day they added swarm pets for all classes was the day I shook my head in disbelief.

Why add more models to an already lagging system? But they did.

What can be done now? Well, how about, for example, instead of the druid AA Spirits of Nature creating 3 nature spirits, it creates one that has the power of three?

There might need to be other changes, in that sometimes swarm pets are used to off tank a mob for a short time and having only one would mean it would only last 1/3 the time. Which can be solved in various ways, maybe like making it invulnerable for a few seconds.

This can be done for all swarm pets. Reduce the numbers created for each spell/AA to just one, rather than a bunch.

Some of the decisions made be the developers make me wonder if they ever play the game. Or think about the entire game, rather than just one part at a time. And about how a decision made now can affect the game in the future.
    Skuz and Metanis like this.
  6. Tappin Augur

The volume of traffic increase because of COVID19 restrictions/lockdowns. Here is the US, many states are just now removing those restrictions. A lot of business are still having people work from home (my schedule back to work date is September). So yes, there is still probably increased volumes of players playing this game because of it.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

And a lot aren't. In Nevada, I was working from home for about 6 weeks. We've been back in the office full time since June last year.

There's no way the COVID internet strain is worse now than it was last summer.

Edit: Besides that, they are WORKING from home, right? So no playing EQ while working. Let's say 80% are playing it straight and 20% are cheating their employer. Still not going to lag out EQ due to WFH.
  8. Tappin Augur

I am having the same lag sever problems as last year around this time. The only time I had more issues was prior to CoV being released. Also, other DP products are having similar issues with lag - you can't blame EQ for that.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  9. Tappin Augur

I am not arguing that EQ doesn't have coding issues that are contributing to the lag. Almost certainly is. But, if that was only part of the problem, then why isn't it fixed? Also, many people don't cheat their employer, then simply don't follow the EULA.
  10. raider New Member

LOL @ Covid. Netflix and other streaming services that use 1000X more bandwidth then EQ work fine for MILLIONS of people. This is about money. The subs they lose will cost less then fixing the problem. Simple as that folks.
  11. Tappin Augur

No one said it wasn't about money. All I am trying to point out is proc nerfs isn't going to fix this issue. it will improve lag over the long term, but it's not fix that's going to make lag go away today.
  12. Tappin Augur

Most businesses are about making "all the money," not just some. Most investors will not accept making less money then they use to.
  13. raider New Member

Not really applicable to EQ. Think of a rent house you buy so you can get a monthly check. You don't want to improve it as long as those checks come in each month. Sure you could make improvements and rent it out for more. BUT if you have someone paying you and they have been for 22 years They don't care about the state of the home other then AC and a fresh coat of paint, you just keep going to the mailbox each month.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Perhaps you could rephrase this statement so that it makes sense.

My point about cheating the employer is that people who are playing EQ when they are supposed to be working from home are stealing from their employer. I'm not judging, because I've done it. I'm reading the forums at work so same thing.
  15. Tappin Augur

People are using 3rd party software.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Ah, I hadn't thought about that.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

Gotta wonder if spamming a mash key contributes to it.
    Hotkey all abilities to 1 then
    11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111etc
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Every time you use that key, the client has to ask the server if ALL the abilities you mapped to that key are ready to be used...

So yes...mash-keys doesn't help...when the devs developed the network-architecture they probably assumed a player would only activate one ability at a time... instead of every ability all the time...

At least that is my guess.:p

No clue if it is a severe load though? :confused:
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  19. Kialya Keeping your butt alive since 2002

Yes, even the forums are lagging. 20 to 30 seconds to load each page. GAH.
    Fenthen and Skuz like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Forums have been significantly worse since they moved server hosting location, a lot of the time I just give up & go do something else as it gets intolerably slow.