You gotta fix this lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ninelder, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Windance Augur

When we played on dialup all the spells were 3 to 15s casting times. 1 proc every 2m, and pets were limited to 1.

Now we have 10x the procs, casting time for most spells are 0.5s - 1.0s, and a half the classes using swarm pets.
  2. Tucoh Augur

5. Delete spell haste
  3. Leerah Augur

I don't know if this is related to lag or another bug. I tried for 16 minutes to end/drop A Formal Dinner Party mission.
  4. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

My thoughts:

1. Eliminate alliances

2. Consolidate or block debuffs or overwrite: ie: opaline moonbean and erupting sunray so there is less things to cast just as an example for just ONE class as they both take up slots. Imagine everyone trying to just cast debuffs at once

3. Eliminate swarms for a majority of classes (or at least leave them in for certain caster classes like mage, shaman). I still dont know til this day why bards and other melee even have them.

4. Eliminate procs from augs/items and instead make them add to either spell damage or attack.

5. Modify certain abilities to actually have cast-times and NOT be instant. In fact, a majority of them.
  5. Tappin Augur

P
    Putting a band aid over a bullet hole isn’t going to accomplish anything.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

Maybe we've just been lucky this week but the lag has seemed fine in raid instances.

It was interesting to have to actually pay attention to mechanics.
    Jennre likes this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Bard swarm pets aa are helpful when Im tanking a name. They can take agro off me for a short time giving the healer merc time to catch up. Otherwise pretty much useless except for cuteness factor.
    Jennre likes this.
  8. Tappin Augur

EQ, EQ2, and all Websites lag. Common sense tells you that nerfing procs isn’t a meaningful fix to this nonsense.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. raider New Member

What server ?

Also does the luck stat check server side or preform some calculation for every cast,heal,swing etc? This stat was a odd addition. They have a confusing and bloated system and they added another stat and even more bloat to the stressed system. Probably not a bad idea to combine luck and power sources into a stat bonus that just modifies the damage calculation and makes gear design much easier moving forward.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Luck is only rolled if you crit, but then it gets rolled twice, first to see if you get lucky, then the second roll is how big of a bonus you get.

This isn't likely to be a significant cause of lag though. Simple math operations like that should be near instantaneous barring some horrible problem with the code.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Jennre like this.
  11. Tappin Augur

12. GoneFission Augur

Playing a lessons burn in ToV Great Divide, and incoming mobs would stutter to a stop and re-position 3 or 4 times on each pull. Sometimes they would vanish completely and reappear in camp. Most pulls, I had no idea where the mobs actually were until 15 to 20 seconds after tank engaged.

That’s mid-day, no major raids and a relatively low population on the server.
  13. Tappin Augur

Raid forces must hold back DPS on raids - Bosses ghost behind melee DPS and use AoE breath on the raid.
  14. Fenthen aka Rath

New method to fix this lag: Upset the customer base so ~50% of the players leave.

Boom. Now the lag is fixed!
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

Plus for every mob that dies and the amount of coin that each person receives for it. At some point it's a huge contributor to lag.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If the new lag comes from people flipping anniversary instances, can't they just make an instance lockout at instance-creation time?
    So that people can only get a new instance every 30 mins or so...

Another source of lag could be the enormous bot-crews on the TLP servers, that all the flame-threads complain about. AFAIK the bot crews does AOE farming, which tasks servers quite a lot.
    The solution here, could be to ban the botters, it shouldn't take too long to investigate...:p

AB does not share hardware with TLP-servers which could explain why AB has not been hit that hard by lag.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

While it's possible I'm wrong, I don't think so. Pure math operations like that generally aren't very taxing. Modern computers can do hundreds of billions a second.

It's the more complicated things that generate lag like calculating the best path for movement which is what has to be done for NPCs, (aka swarm pets), and determining targeting restrictions which has to check hundreds? of different variables for each spell cast, which gets worse every time they add new target restrictions or procs.
    Rexa, Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  18. Tappin Augur

The simplest solutions tend to be the correct ones. They received an unexpected increase in traffic from COVID-19 related lockdowns. That would explain the lag with other games and services. The actual point of failures isn’t really of our concern.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  19. Tucoh Augur

The number of lame excuses I've heard about COVID this year is incredible.
  20. Tappin Augur

I am not excusing the level of service provided by DP. I am just saying that a lot of online services are struggling with the increased traffic from COVID, or more bluntly, not willing to upgrade their services. DP seems to be taking the "fart in the wind" approach. They absolutely need to get this sorted out or they are going to lose a lot of long time players for good.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.