EQ - Hardcore Survival Server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

While watching a person play Conan (MMORPG) game on a private server (set up as PVE) I thought about the popularity of survival/build games. Basically the premise is your start out naked in the wilderness and kill / harvest your way through levels and make your own gear.

Would an EQ server set up like this be attractive?

EQ Survival Server rules (ideas)
    -Coin drop reduced by say 90% (coin is very precious)
    -All gear must be player made (all gear loot removed from world mob loot tables)
    -Any drops available on mob loot tables are removed/not available from npc vendors requiring tradeskill items to be farmed in the wild
    -Maybe the server would be strictly Antonica or Antonica/Kunark/Velious?
    -All players have the ability to forage to 200 skill
    -Maybe eliminate the death xp penalty as the server is difficult?
    -One character per player? Not sure this can be enforced
    -Since named mobs aren't dropping loot perhaps more coin or something that could be easily coded to replace their item loot tables?

Obviously it would be nice to mine, chop wood, etc and collect resources through gathering instead of mob killing but that would require dev time that is just not available. Also, it would be nice to build a house and actually place it in a zone but EQ isn't set up for that.

Don't think this would be too difficult to set up as a server but would anyone want to play with a hardcore ruleset like this?
  2. Febb Augur

Start out as Level 1 in CoV. All previous expansions will unlock over time. GO!
    Zynt, code-zero and Duder like this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think they would need to adjust failure-rates and skillup-rates on tradeskills drastically for this to work. Skilling up tradeskills the "oldschool way" is already pretty hardcore...

Start out as level 1 in EoK scorched woods with lava-rain, now THATS hardcore...:p
    Andarriel likes this.
  4. GNOME_POWER Augur

SSF ruleset looks very interesting.
  5. Sobmre Augur

there was one call "discord" as an event if i recall correctly, with perma death and rewards for the highest lvl at the end. i believe as 49 darkelf clr won. it was right before GoD launch i think
    Rexa likes this.
  6. Argu Lorekeeper

I remember the discord server. Was a troll kept messing with me near freeport (literally a troll) so at one point I pulled the guards to him and we both died. I think he was level 4 or something.

I still miss the monster button though.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I wish Project M was still a thing.

I guess nobody is level 5 anymore except for bazaar mules, but man, it was so much fun being a kodiak in western commonlands and charging straight at the nearest player you saw.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Sounds like a blast. But with the way the game is nowadays, a smart (or slightly below average) mob would absolutely destroy players by killing everyone except the tank first.

A generic easy npc (anniversary - Commander Gartik) has 40+ million hps.
  9. Sara Connor New Member

Project M was shut down almost immediately for immense griefing
    Szilent and Skuz like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yep this.

It's why certain folks hated it (the griefed) & certain folks had an immense amount of fun (the ones who enjoy griefing).

There was a small number who enjoyed being able to role-play with that system that could maybe have been outside the "Grief pool" but they were few & far between.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Honestly I think an EQ themed survival-game would do well, though it would likely get ragged on as a Valheim-clone.

I don't think the EQ game or current engine is the right way to try and do this style of game however, nice idea though.
    Deux likes this.
  12. Skysoldier New Member

While watching a person play Conan (MMORPG) game on a private server (set up as PVE) I thought about the popularity of survival/build games. Basically the premise is your start out naked in the wilderness and kill / harvest your way through levels and make your own gear.

I would TOTALLY play and get into a server like that, Might lose my marriage over it even lol :)
    Not the Harley or dog thought,,,
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

At this point in the game the winner would be RaidleaderX or his backstabbing 2nd in command.
  14. Kolani Augur

Project M was live for less than a weekend, I'm amazed at the amount of people who still insist THEY WERE THERE twenty years later.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Throw in death is forever, and you would really be hardcore. It could also serve double duty if all of the persistent rule breakers were exiled there. Hey, I can dream.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

[IMG]
    Jumbur likes this.
  17. Windance Augur

Maybe instead of asking them to make a TLP like this, just pick the oldest, deadest TLP and play there using the rules you want. I suspect that within a couple weeks the server population would be able to same =)
    HowDidIEndUpBackHere likes this.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

I tried Conan some. I didn't love it. I liked 7 days to die better, though the game is pretty low quality on Xbox. I liked that you could modify the terrian.

I was playing The Astroneer for hours yesterday. Just downloaded it on GamePass. I was thinking as I was playing it the videos I saw for EverQuest Landmark and about how they killed the game because it wouldn't be fun.

I'm thinking they messed that decision up.
  19. uberkingkong Augur

Not really doable in EQ, this isn't Diablo 2 where you can exit the game safely in 1 second to avoid death/mistake. In EQ if your fighting summoned and all sudden a respawn pops and your fighting 2 which is too much for you and you know death is coming, well nothing you can do about it.

A more realistic tough server would be,
    1. on death your gear remains on your corpse, it can disappear if you fail to loot it.
    2. No corpse summoners NPCs (even when GL becomes unlocked)
    3. on death you lose about 80% xp
    4. No mercenaries (even when SoD becomes unlocked)
    5. No quick meditation bonus to 100% hp/end/mana (have to actually take long breaks)

Oh wait, this is old school EQ, old school was tough itself, but these TLPs they make, they aint old school EQ.

Old school EQ you see corpses littered throughout the zones, not zones without any corpses to be found.
    The game didn't need to put fake corpses in their traps, in old school EQ those traps, like falling into that kobold pit in Velks, there are REAL corpses rotting in that area.

6. Nice to have, all races, classes unlocked before their expansion is released.
    Just make cresent reach and blightfire moors accessible and the other zones cannot enter.
    Do what other games do, put a roadblock in front of those zonelines.

Annoying always wanting to play like a berserker, but too invested in your live server main and TLP berserkers are not unlocked till long time. If I have a lack of weapons because no berserker specific weapons are in the core EQ, so be it, I don't mind using ALL/ALL gear, till berserker gear becomes available. At least I get to play as a berserker and thats all that matters.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

The server crits you for all your life.
    please wait... not reloading