You gotta fix this lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ninelder, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is that whatever hosting daybreak is using in the US, is disproportionately affected by the increased load due to corona lockdowns and need for video-meetings. On AB there has not been a big in-game lag issue recently(afaik).
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's amazing how quickly the forums respond during the day (EST) and how incredibly slow they respond in the evening. I doubt the forums are hosted on the same server as the game servers, so it could be a bandwidth problem, but there's no way to know.
    Leerah likes this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

They have plans to fix lag but the necro dot revamp comes first.
    Leerah, Gyurika Godofwar and Tucoh like this.
  4. Tappin Augur

Just my opinion, but just think they are seeing an uptick in traffic from the useless COVID-19 lockdowns. My guess is they don’t think they can sustain the increase, so they are attempting to let blow over like a fart in the wind. Most of the lag related issues occurs after standard business hours that most companies operate on.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The Oracle knows the answer:
    "The lag you see
    when you cast or swing
    is easy to explain,
    It's EVERYTHING!"

Hardware, Software, and Code are to blame.

They just recently made a hardware change. That costs lots of money and is budgeted for several months if not several years. They won't be making hardware changes anytime soon.

The infrastructure software may be configured incorrectly for what they need. It's not hard to imagine that the 22 year old code doesn't consume bandwidth in the way modern hardware/software expects it to. And could cause some issues that are very hard to track down.

The 22 year old game code is held together with chewing gum and string (in the words of a dev). There are all sorts of things going on there that are not good for an ongoing development team to maintain.

They are working on the game code now, and will continue to.

That alone, no matter how far they go won't fix everything.

There is either no single 'flip the switch' and fix it thing, OR they don't have the money to 'flip that switch'.

We'll be slowly traveling down the road they told us they were working on, destination unknown.
  6. Tappin Augur

I just looked into my crystal ball (lol) and it told me that nerfing archetypes is not going to correct the server lag.
  7. Laronk Augur

I don't know what its like currently but during summer 2020 raiding during prime time was terrible where if we raided super late for some reason it was much better.
  8. Laronk Augur

Well the performance would be an issue if players could last that long. I think the problem is generally the new player experience isn't very good. Unless you're already into MMOs it's really hard to get into everquest. I think its solely kept alive by the community and nostalgia .
    Leerah and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  9. Herf Augur

This lag is truly sucking. It's messing up pulls in at least some cases: one goes to give a a few seconds later.
  10. Tucoh Augur

Tuco's guide to fixing lag:
    1. Delete all weapon procs
    2. Delete all swarm pets.
    3. Delete Everquest2
    4. Delete both Planetsides.

[IMG]
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yeah, time to re-evaluate where I spend my time (and money).
  12. GNOME_POWER Augur

Watch the Max Headroom to build up your tolerance for them.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Raid lag is caused by procs and swarm pets.

The current game-wide lag since the last patch is caused by everyone making 500 instances of the new anniversary mission on every server and eating up all server resources.

The forums lag (at least in part) because it's super outdated (which is also a really bad security risk).
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Zamiam like this.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

My guess is that the Overseer system is producing most of the new lag as it is laggy itself.
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

No. Overseer lags because the server lags, because everyone is running anniversary missions every 5 minutes.
  16. Moege Augur

Doubt it, saw the same lag before anniversary season started.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Oh there was lag before, there will be lag after, but right now it is worse because of all those extra instances (a lot of them).
  18. Moege Augur

I wonder if I will still be playing after. The raidlag is working on the team's nerves, Taking 7mins+ to zone/lagged mechanics is costing us events. Last raid I just wanted to do /gu well guys that's it for me, I'm done with this nonsense /q.
    Leerah likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I definitely empathise, it's never fun when you are feeling like you are playing with one hand (or both at times) tied behind your back thanks to lag.

I haven't seen the lag as badly as the live servers are getting on Phinigel (but I have watched Kizant's videos which demonstrate just how bad it gets) but the past couple raids my guild have run we had some freaking odd intermittent Aggro issues.
    Tanks were just randomly losing aggro on regular trash mobs they had no problems with previously - it's disconcerting to say the least to watch your peers or yourself getting vaporised as a result & the tank is likely doing their damnedest and can do nothing to stop it happening.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Megazen Elder

As someone who played this game quite successfully on a dialup modem, I find this to be a little funny, and a lot sad. A game that should run on a potato, and you can't get it to work in 2021?..... errrr.
    Metanis likes this.