Soandso's Familiar says "Error*? Are there souls here?"

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by narksar, Mar 28, 2021.

1. narksar Augur

This guy isn't even online and yet, seemingly zone-wide in Plane of Knowledge, his familiar is regularly making statements such as "Cucui's Familiar says 'Error*? Are there souls here?'" or Something about "Error*, I'm behind you" and I think something like "Error*, I want some souls". I even had multiple accounts on at the same time and discovered that the same message went to all of them at the same time in Plane of Knowledge even though they were nowhere near each other regarding the hearing range of someone 'saying' something.
    Leerah likes this.
  2. GNOME_POWER Augur

Are you talking about a talking item?
  3. Rondor Augur

This is likely caused by a familiar of the type summoned by "Soul Reaper Familiar" (Item 67960) that got orphaned in POK if the player zoned or logged out at just the wrong time.

I still see orphaned pets or familiars once in a while on various servers in various zones, though it seems to happen less often than it used to. It is likely that the NPC for the pet or familiar was not cleaned up properly for whatever reason when its player character owner left the zone, so we're left with these orphaned former-player-pet or former-player-familiar NPCs.
    Wdor likes this.
  4. narksar Augur

Someone made such a claim in chat. Yes, I did find it and it, visually, was new style reaper/spectre. The familiar was far from all the chars that keep hearing him.
  5. Leerah Augur

There's one in baz for a week now. I found a way to turn off their chatter once (one of my 4 traders can't hear him.) Putting the owner on ignore doesn't work. Remind me how to silence them.
  6. Rondor Augur

I found that someone has an Attendant Jahlia Famliar near your traders on the Povar-Quellious server at the moment. This particular familiar is still owned by its owner (it is not an orphaned NPC familiar). I managed to filter the familiar's message to another window by setting the "Say" filter (right click chat window title bar or text entry line, then choose Filter -> Say) to another window or tab which I could then minimize or keep in the background. This has the unfortunate side-effect of hiding other people's chat and NPC hail responses and the like, but has the advantage of silencing the familiar.

This is not exactly the same situation as the orphaned familiar which was shouting to everyone no matter how far away in POK as reported in the original post, but perhaps a temporary workaround based on filtering out "Say" may work as well.

To filter out the familiar's replies to "/pet who leader" I had to set the "Other" filter on a different hidden window/tab. But those were not the same messages as when the familiar randomly talks to a nearby player.
    Wdor and Leerah like this.
  7. Leerah Augur

I saw you stopped by! Thanks! Next time, I'll make a cake.

I know it's not the same kind of familiar. His range is bad though, can hear him all around the circle. I'll look forward to the next patch. Maybe I should email Tradespot.
    Rondor likes this.
  8. Leerah Augur

Oh hey! I appreciate it, but you didn't have to move up the patch just for me. :cool: