Anniversary/Hunter Question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xtor Zadamose, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Whenever i look up information about npcs i look at multiple sources. One source said Mortificator Syythrak has a placeholder called lizardman mystic. This is a named npc i want to kill among others in Rathe Mountains for the hunter achievement. Kill that npc and 2 hours later either a ph will spawn or the named. I checked allakhazams and magelo to see if such an npc exists and it does. So i go to the zone and look for lizardman mystic which is different from a lizardman mystic. I can't seem to find it on track and i have checked a few times over the course of a few days.

So now i am wondering do anniversary events some how destroy the placeholder or named spawn? If they do then what part of the year is the best to camp for named spawn? This is on the Cazic-Thule - Fennin Ro server. I would rather avoid camping a mob that isn't capable of spawning if i can help it.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I don't believe the anniversary events affect Rathe Mountains named.

However, you are choosing a very difficult named to camp. Or rather, one that requires a lot of patience. If you want to be sure you are getting his placeholders, sit at the four-way with all the named beetles. His placeholder paths through there. You'll get a lot of drake/brother z/hasten/maldyn the unkempt, which isn't a part of the Syythrak cycle, but I can promise you that he does path through there.

Consult Bobbybick's post here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...c-kunark-hunter-achieve-thread.240586/page-12 . That worked for me.
  3. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Thanks for the information. I am familiar with that spot. Spent so much time at it i honestly wondered if spawns were broken and it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

Let me ask one more question to anyone that may read this. Do you think it would be better to move onto the hunter achievements for one of the 15 expansions i still need to do rather than spend all day with classic eq? I have no doubt some of those named in the expansions would be easier to camp.

Keep in mind, one day i am still hoping the devs come to their senses and give an alternate way to complete the hunter achievements, like some kind of overseer quest to kill named.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Overseer to get a named that would be terrible thing to happen :( But yea rathe mountains is a tough one after awhile i just do another zone and come back as it will take awhile other hards ones ive done are North and South karana (West karana was easier as it only had one mob) Jaggedpine forest scarlet desert, twilight sea and hollowshade moore. It was a tossup which was harder norrathian or moonslayer achievement both took me like the same time it seemed. just gotta have patience espically on the zones i mentioned. Oh what act of valor mentioned the crossroads seems like i was able to spawn a few with the roaming mobs that went by there but its a slugfest.

Andarriel
  5. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

What if it's maybe 1 mob per rotation and the quest takes 48 hours to complete. Doesn't drop loot. I can't possibly see how that would hurt anyone if it just gives off the checkmark for hunting that mob. Please keep in mind that we can get Overseer Collection Item Dispenser which will give you any normal collectible. I was able to complete The Smellier the Better achievement without paying 100K+ for Crackers or spend more hours than i had already spent trying to get them. With 27 expansions worth of content i can't see this one thing as terrible but maybe i am short sighted. If someone explained why it would be bad i would appreciate it.
  6. Kragin011 New Member

Next up, ldon hunter!
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I don't want to have to even think about that.

Bobbybick, if you're reading this, did you ever start doing more hunters, or did Vex Thal kill all your interest in it?
  8. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

But ... the entire point of the hunter checkmark ... is to kill a mob. Or at least be in a raid/group that kills the mob.

The old world has no rewards for killing (at least until PoP with evolving unlock) ... just a checkmark. If they handed out the checkmark in some other fashion ... what would be the point of said checkmark?

Collects are different ... completion of a set gives a reward. Completion of an entire expansion gives a reward (some sub expansion rewards as well).

You say you cannot see why this would be bad ... because it would make any of these old world hunter checkmarks meaningless. Who would know if you actually spent the time to get the mob or just played a lot of Overseer?

I don't understand why some folks chase these checkmarks, but there are many ways to play the game so if it makes them happy, more power to them. What I fail to understand is when a checkmark becomes more important than the actual activity it represents.
    Mongol311 likes this.
  9. GNOME_POWER Augur

I think most fabled mobs don't get a check mark on their hunter achievement.
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Define better. Literally the only reason to do classic hunter is for the fun of it or if you're chasing the (meaningless) achievement points. There is no tangible reward at all. Newer expansions from House of Thule+ at least offer some type of reward for hunter achievements. And you are certainly correct that later expansions move away from the esoteric spawn mechanics of the classic era. Farming named in new expansions is typically as simple as posting up and clearing somewhere between 1 and 6 very clearly identified placeholders until your mob spawns. There are lots of classic spawns with mysterious, poorly documented spawn mechanics.
  11. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

12. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Vex Thal looks way worse than it is, a full clear of the trash w/ traps will probably nearly finish it. Twilight Sea and Scarlet Desert are the stuff of nightmares though.

I did (along with my friend Toriador) complete all of the classic->LDoN hunters a few years back and I still have a candle lit for the day Ngreth adds GoD->SoD hunter checklists cause I'll be there with bells on.

Ngreth if you read this, I will even make the named lists for you zone by zone, just holla!
    Andarriel likes this.
  13. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Right now you can't tell if someone actually got the mob or not. You can afk the whole time in pok while someone in your group or raid gets the kills. So wouldn't that actually make that checkmark already meaningless? Just as we have an alternate way of getting collectibles. I was simply hoping for an alternate way to complete the hunter achievement.
  14. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Nevermind. It was a silly question. I guess i should have asked if anyone was as frustrated as i was and just moved onto other content that wasn't from 20+ years ago. Camping for named mobs has been extremely tedious for me but i can't stop myself. Closest thing i can compare it to is smoking, people know it's bad but they get addicted and they know it's killing them and causing problems but they just can't stop. I know it's just a video game but damn, that is how i feel at times. This game has been referred to as Evercrack for a reason.
  15. Act of Valor The Newest Member

At least Ngreth has stated that hunters for those expansions are in the works. Hopefully, there is some reward. I don't want or expect anything game changing, but something to acknowledge you did it would be just fine.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

OMG best to do when they have double spawns you will understand once you start doing Arena of Chance my ranger got all the ldon hunters after 240ish ldons but my wiz this char had over 400.

Andarriel
  17. Old&Slow Journeyman

Am a casual, longtime player. This thread was kinda depressing. I do achievements as my goal. I will never be the best dps, best geared or the top level. I have noticed that the older content Hunter's are all harder than the newer content. And now I am hearing that ldon is just as bad? lol
    I am still chasing the elusive lesser blade fiend in Estate of Unrest after two years. :eek:
    Thanks.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just make them the last achieves you will chase (there are plenty of others in the meantime). Then, when you finally get these, you can quit and rightfully claim you beat EQ :)
  19. Sobmre Augur

rewards would be great for classic hunters,

perhaps something like titles. "dunedigger" "The Quilhunter" "The Gizzled" "ClubThorn"
    "sqaullslither" etc

even better would be some kinda stat reward.
  20. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

LDoN isn't that bad (aside from Commonlands theme) if you don't mind racking up lots of failures. If you are the kind of person that cares about having failures on a leaderboard nobody looks at then it's gonna be kinda painful.