Character Birthday Rewards?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Scaryguy, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Scaryguy New Member

Devs, can you add something like a 24 hour 100% experience bonus to Characters having EQ birthdays?
    Maybe like a 24hr birthday cake icon in the song window or something?
    Perhaps also a temporary 24hr mount with “ludicrous” speed level?
    Or a pop-up box that lets you choose between something in the marketplace?
    Would be nice to plan for a day of grinding on that character once a year.
    I like the changing multi-color name thing.
    Just a few ideas/suggestions.
    Froglok, Vumad, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

Oh sure bring it up now , mine was a couple days ago lol. Actually I think that is a nice idea. TBH I have never noticed the notification and always forgot it was my characters B day. It kept spamming me that here and there. Has it always done that? It was not bothersome just noticeable.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Rainbow names not enough? :p

24 hrs of 100% XP bonus is a LOT. But hey, I am down for that. It's once a year and gives people another reason to plan an EQ binge session. :D
    minimind likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

birthday cake helm ornament!
    minimind likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That sounds great but what about characters that are created on days where someone is unlikely to play? Created your character on Christmas day when you got the game but now you are no longer able to play on that day? Something like this would have the be usable at any time after the day for players who can't play on that actual day.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Probably should have thought about that before creating your character on a holiday!!!!

In all seriousness, if this was implemented I wouldn't be opposed to an autogranted reward on the character's birthday like a 'birthday box' including a slice of cake, and an XP potion instead of an automatic XP bonus.
    Zamiam, Fenthen and Basak like this.
  7. Thraine Augur

ive played with names off since planes of power .. i never know anyones birthdays :( lol
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That would just be cause to rage post, of course.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Or...what if the cake IS the XP potion. OMG
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well, we did have birthday awards once already, they were known as veteran AA.
    Nennius and Coagagin like this.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

I really like the birthday cake slice with XP bonus for eating it idea. 24 hours in the song window is great but a slice of cake with 30 minutes of double XP would make a lot of people happy. Though, instead of a slice of cake, a cupcake with a candle on it, since it's a single serve item.

The mount buff is not a bad idea either.

A temporary item that summons temporary birthday hat ornaments and such items could be cool ideas too. I think this summon item would be best as a quest that you hail a NPC in PoK and it checks that your name is rainbow and if so it gives you the item. That way if you log out and lose it you can just log back in and get another one. That item could summon cake slice stat food, ornaments and fireworks, all of which would be temporary items.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Life's not fair. Get used to it.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Not really, was based off paid time originally, so only if you never unsubscribed for a single day would it match to account creation date.
    Accipiter likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What does this have to do with life being fair or not? There is nothing wrong with a complaint about adding something to the game that some can benefit from but others can't due to real life commitments.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You just described e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e t-h-i-n-g about this game.

Life isn't fair. Get used to it.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Life's not fair. Get used to it.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Your comment is irrelevant to the statement. You stated that veteran's rewards were "birthday rewards", and I simply corrected you.

Your attempt to be snarky just makes you look uneducated to simple logic.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My argument - Paid time birthday = Vet AA were awarded
    vs
    Your argument - Played time birthday = nothing rewarded

Maybe you forgot that the game was only F2P from 2012 onwards so there was nothing wrong with my logic, and in my book your account only truly matters to the game if you are paying to support it.

You don't have to like my logic, but its right there in front of your face.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No I didn't, there is a big difference between not having access to something due to your play style and not having access to it because you have to log on during a specific day. There is a reason why the events they run do not last a single day and that is to make sure everyone has a chance to participate.

Most content you are able to see if you put in the work so it is a player's choice if they want to do the work or not. However having something that only happens on a set day in the year it may be impossible for them to do anything to experience that content.
  20. Froglok Augur

I actually like the Birthday Icon / buff in song window for 24 hours of Double XP.

HOWEVER -- I would limit this to All Access (paid) accounts only. Gotta support DP to keep EQ going, after all.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Zamiam like this.