Account to account transfers... when?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Donroy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Donroy Elder

It's been years... At least give me an official "never gonna happen so drop it already" so that I can stop dreaming and spend my money on something else.
  2. Moege Augur

3. Warpeace Augur

So what you going to buy? Cuz its not going to be an account to account transfer.
  4. TLP Addict Augur

The official line is they fired the last guy that knew how to do it or something, I think they just refuse to do it anymore because it's a massive RMT headache.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It was official in that Jchan interview. Just not in the main site info.
  6. Digler Elder

From DBG's point of view, there is no reason to allow this.

I'm not sure why you created your characters on separate accounts to begin with, but I'm sure you did so for a good reason at the time. That reason may have changed or is no longer valid, but if they allowed the move, then DBG would actually lose out on a monthly subscription.
  7. Digler Elder

What I would be more interested in, is when will they offer "Permanent" Accounts again.
  8. Iyacc Augur

I would think more people would want to move an alt OFF of an account to a second one so they can box. At least the people I know grumbling about this are in this boat. That would actually be more revenue. I hadn't really considered the other way but it could be that people want to consolidate accounts and not lose a specific toon or two in the process.

Bardy McFly likes this.
  9. Stix Man Elder

I have never, in my life, heard of someone wanting to take 2 accounts and 2 characters that are theirs, and put them onto the SAME account.

Maybe someone wants to do that, but to use that as an example of "the game would lose money" seems a bit dishonest.The majority of people that want account transfers are trying to get toons off of the same account.

It's just they have no clue how to do it. The End. If they knew how to do it, they would take our money.
    Siah and Accipiter like this.
  10. Moege Augur

11. Accipiter Old Timer

True but has nothing to do with why these transfers are a thing of the past.
  12. Quasimojo Elder

If it involves much more than changing a key value in a database, then they've done something really wrong. Even accounting for items that are only allowed once per account (i.e. they get stripped) should be relatively trivial.
  13. Quasimojo Elder

I am one who would do so the moment the service was available. I started my second account just to try boxing years ago, and I just never took to it. Now I've got a couple characters I would like to moved to my main account, so I can close the second one...which is most likely the precise reason they won't ever offer it.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Clearly it is not.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It involves accounts which can have real world payment information associated with it, being combined with a different account, possibly of a completely different person, with completely different credit card info.

And this whole transaction could be...guess what... Fraudulent, prone to error, or a customer service issue. ooops, who's in the right, who's in the wrong? Why didn't the dev set the bit for 'this is the real person'?

It's possibly more complicated than a value in a database.
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

As I understand it, the characters used to be in files on the server, not in a database. Then they migrated them into a database. Ideally each character would have one reference back to an account, but it's not always that simple. In this case it must not be, or the complexity of the move isn't the actual issue.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice normalization to gain transaction speed. Sometimes you have to do it more than you would like. We don't know how everything is linked together, and there are a lot of things that would be linked to any given character. In the end we won't know unless they tell us.

To me it seems like opening up transfers would be printing money for them, but there may be downsides they can see. Maybe another customer service nightmare dealing with people selling characters? Or something else? I don't know.

I have a heroic cleric I'd move from one account to another if they did open them up. Both accounts are subbed, so in my case they would only gain, but I'm just one person. And I could always just make another cleric on the other account and buy a heroic upgrade. So they would still win.
  17. Valanie Lorekeeper

Account transfers will return the same day Pantheon is released.
    Sicarious and Metanis like this.
  18. Machen New Member

Also the same day hell freezes over.
  19. Arctodus Elder

Sounds like another method to make money using the DB store. The service should not be to difficult if the a CC/Debit card is on file and related information of the users has been applied for the life of the account.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Pro Tip: Read the thread, then comment.