macros question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by quakedragon, Mar 23, 2021.

1. quakedragon Augur

Hello,

I have a few questions on macros.
    1. Is there a list of every macro command out there? On Allakhazam it says https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/macro-101.27806/ but that is a dead link. I see this https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Useful_commands but I think its missing commands (pet attack is not there, possibly way more pet commands). Is there some official commands and order of operations and possibly what commands you can use on same line (ex. /pause, /cast 2, /autofire, /timer 20 that can be one line right, is there more?)?

2. Can I do macro on hotbar not in current use?
    Ex. I put forage on ability 1 on the 3rd hotbar, but I run around and do stuff with hotbar1 active. Reason, I don't want to see forage as one of the limited options available to me, hotbar 1 to me is serious hotbar, not for forage and other similar things.

3. I need to take into consideration of recast timer correct, I see a lot of sites saying spell takes 6 seconds, /cast 60, but recast is like a second or two, so should be /cast 80 right?

4. When to /pause before or /pause after, I don't get why if your casting a spell some people have /pause 60, /cast 2 at start of the macro line, to me it reads wait 6 secs before anything then cast, I want to cast right when it happens.

Ex. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/forage-macro.256982/
    /pause 700, /doability 6
    /pause 365, /autoinventory
    /pause 700, /doability 6
    /pause 360, /autoinventory
    /em forages for food and treasure!

Then sometimes I see pause afterwards, why is pause before ability?, why does he not just do
    /pause 1065, /doability 6
    /autoinventory
    /pause 1060, /doability 6
    /autoinventory
    /em forages for food and treasure!

Forage is 1.5mins, 900 seconds, and he's doing it over 900 seconds.

5. Is there a way to forcestop a macro or reset a macro? ex. mob stuns you, and your in /pause 120, I want the spell go off right after stun not after 8 more seconds.

6. Is there a way to tell if your stuck in a macro? My understanding is you can't do anything while stuck in a macro, this is a reason to have /timer on every macro right, is that the only way to tell?

Thanks!
  2. Metanis Bad Company

Wulfhere and MasterMagnus like this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

1. Metanis gives a great one, a bit dated but golden.

2. Yes you can. You could also put a macro on your 'active' bar, that switches to that 'extra' bar, clicks a button on it, and then switches back to your 'main active' bar.

3. Not really the 'recast time', but the Cast Time of the Spell + Global Cooldown + (couple of ticks for server lag. So sometimes you need to fine tune, especially these days), and you're ready to cast another, or take another action.

Your pause is placed before, but happens last. And most of the time, especially for casts, you want the pause to cover the length of the action you take. (addresses both 3. and 4.)

4. See above for the general 'pause theory'. Some actions don't need a pause but do better with a short one, some things you can just 'spam' without a pause, and whichever is available will click. Some things, especially casts, don't work that way, and need a full pause to account for the whole action and downtime + lag after.

5. No you can't stop it 'per se'. If what the macro does, for example cast spells, you can circumvent that occurring by de-selecting your target or /stopcast as it's starting to cast.

6. Timer is very handy, you can put it instead of pause on the first line. You could also put /groupsay i'm still doing xyz macro right now! or some such. The classic /em orders %m to get in there and fight! (%m is your pet name).

You can click items in your bags too, based on the character slot number (first bag is 23). So I have a macro to eat junk food (placed below good stat food in the bag) I won't go into detail about managing stat food or bag slot numbers. And I have Forage on action 2.

Eat food and forage:
    /pause 2,/useitem 23 4
    /pause 2,/useitem 23 5
    /pause 12,/do 2
    /autoinv

Assist pet (if no creature with name starting 'A ' is in range) or target closest (which might be far away) creature with name 'A whateveritis':
    /pause 8,/assist %m
    /pause 8,tar a_
    /pause 44,/cast 1
    /pause 44,/cast 2
    /say %t is feeling the pain of my wrath!!
  4. quakedragon Augur

Thanks do you have link to Metanis macros?
    I look at his profile, says homepage is marines.mil, I dont see in google anything related to EQ Metanis macros
    I'm looking for official documentation, kind of like this https://www.monitoring-plugins.org/doc/man/check_http.html (yeah this is not EQ, but its kind of information I like to see)
    EQ macros: order of operations, rules, commands etc. Basically like a command prompt curl --help (big blob of possible commands and rules, etc., show up, everything possible related to curl shows up) such thing exists in the game? Ex. Pet --help and it show me everything that a pet can do via a macro? Ex. Pet attack, pet sit, pet guard, etc.? Followed by rules and order of operation, etc.?

Maybe there is a file that contains all the macros and ruling? Do we get it and get to view it? Ex. Macro readme or code for macro? github repo?

Is there a thing such as macro pause hell? Like if I do /pause 3000, /stand, nextline /pause 3000, /sit, I can't stop the macro? Anyway to forcestop this is what I was asking, sorry for confusion if any.

Also, is there a way to check recast time in the game?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

He meant the link in Metanis' post, above. It's a resource link about all things EQ macro-related.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  6. quakedragon Augur

Thanks, I see the link, looks very helpful.
    Thanks Metanis
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I've been thinking of doing a right up on macro use, haven't seen a good one lately. I will try and be brief here, keep a lookout for a macro post (pun intended) by me soonish©®

The macros are something I love about this game, being an old school programmer (around the era EQ was built).

Don't I wish. To my knowledge, no. Back in the day, immediately after reading that I'd break out my hex editor and examine eqgame.exe for the commands. It's not worth the trouble and time to document and post it somewhere, IMO. I assume those that know the complete deal keep it to themselves.

From time to time I will poke around (internet search), but I always end up where Metanis mentioned
    Hazimil Skelyd's EverQuest Resource Page (jaburt.com)

It gives you the solid basics. Although what you're asking is more about the voodoo and mechanics of macros. For which you need to read old dev posts about it, which are probably only available via wayback machine.

I'm just going on what I remember and plenty of testing and tweaking.

If you run across any interesting githubs they could likely involve PowerShell and may veer into eula forbidden territory. It's super interesting stuff, and PowerShell is great fun for programming, but I avoid that stuff.

Yes, you can get stuck. Also you can have long running things overlap each other, very bad. Keep your macros much shorter, and create a second macro that is triggered later, leaving 'free time' to do something on the fly, rather than 'embedding' a bunch of time into a single macro.

Yes, so to speak. As I said, I don't call it 'recast time'. The /pause for Casting is a sum total of three things:
    Cast Time + Global Cooldown + Server Lag (server acknowledges your character may now do something else, your previous action is complete.)

The CAST time is shown when you right click the spell in Minutes:Seconds.
    You have to convert everything to game 'ticks'. And I think game ticks are 10/second.

Global Cooldown (for spells mostly) is 6 ticks, I think (a little embarrassed I have to double check) but it is a fixed number in most cases, you'll treat it as a fixed number.
    *edit* Cooldown varies by spell (or action if it has a cooldown), the vast majority of lower level spells are all the same, but some do vary. Now I'll have to check if that is listed in the same place as cast time.
    *edit2*
    Keep in mind, you only need to account for a 'longer' cooldown in your pause if you're casting the same spell twice in a row. 'Global Cooldown' is the time until you can cast another spell.

Server Lag changes of course. 6 again, is a decent number to start with. These days 8 or 9 is more reliable.

So in an example I gave above, targeting doesn't have global cooldown or cast time, just lag time. /pause 8,/tar a_ works well for me.

I like to come up with an idea of what I want to do, and then code a macro (or several) to do that, and then test and tweak it.

I know you want a concise command listing, but do you have a specific use case I could help you start with?
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I never use "tick" to describe that, since we use "tick" generally to mean the "every 6 seconds" processes which occur in game (DoTs, mana/hp regen, etc). But yes, pauses in macros are in tenths of a second, so /pause 10 is telling it to pause for 1 second.

I'm almost 100% certain the GCD is 1.5 seconds, not .6

I usually allow .1 or .2 seconds for server lag, seems to work fine, in general.

Targeting/assisting has it's own lag built in, which can be quite annoying. However, there's a good way around that. Use extended targets. I have all in my group use xtar slots for each char themselves (hard coded), and one slot each for tank, tank's target and puller's target. Then, in your macros, use /xtar 4 (in my case, that's tank's target), and it sets the target withing the usual .1 or .2 seconds that you allow for any other command's server lag.

Once you try this, you'll never go back to using /target and /assist again :)

MasterMagnus likes this.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Actually I use them all, depending on the situation.

As I mentioned, I'm planning a more in depth thread, but if I have a repeating macro in a situation where I may have multiple adds, or nothing at all on xtar and want to pull something new I can do...
    -having pet on xtar 1 and merc on 2-
    /pause 8,/tar a_
    /pause 8,/xtarget 3
    /disc Throw Stone
  10. Metanis Bad Company

Exactly how I do it!

And don't forget cleric spell haste! Your macro that works fine when you have spell haste might be irregular when you don't!
    MasterMagnus and Tatanka like this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's what cleric mercs are for.... you always have cleric spell haste ;)
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yes that matches up with what has been said on the boards here historically, after looking more.

Thanks Tatanka for clarifying!

In 1/10 second 'Pause Intervals'
    GCD = 15 (unless trying to cast something that is still on cooldown for whatever reason, like casting a long cooldown spell twice in a row.)
    Server lag = 1-4
    Your average 3 second Cast spell = 30
    I'm liking /pause 48,/cast 1 right now.

I am redoing a number of things with the new numbers, and testing before posting more.
    Niskin likes this.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I hope nobody was too eager for the write up I mentioned.

Wrote up a long document on laptop, cut and pasted to an old usb drive, and lost it. I'm too lazy to do it again, and now I just feel stupid. :oops:
    Metanis likes this.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

Technology happens!
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. quakedragon Augur

19. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

There is nothing in game that will give you spell refresh.

However, you can just mem the spell and hover the mouse over the spell gem. That will give you a very close estimate of the time for refresh.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. Metanis Bad Company