Any word on necro 1-65 dot revamp?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Montag, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Montag Augur

Maybe I’m really confused but is it really that hard to consolidate three DoT lines? (Fire, disease and poison).

Even fixing just one of those dot lines to start would be a huge help, say fire.

It’s especially painful with only 8 spell slots.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Spell sets are your friend, and I wouldn't bank on seeing the 1-65 spell lines consolidated though there has been no official word on whether these will be done or not.
  3. Kobra Augur

I don't know how many times it has to be said but the dots at that level don't need to be consolidated.

The reason for the consolidation was to free up debuff slots. There is no debuff slot problem from 1-65.

If you consolidate the dots at this level there aren't enough of them to create compelling gameplay, it will severely dumb down the class and it will be overpowered.

Stack your dots if you want to do good damage and yes that means swapping spells. That has been the core gameplay of the necro class since inception and it doesn't need to be changed. It would ruin the class.
    Skuz and Boze like this.
  4. Corydon Augur

I honestly do not see the need for a necro dot revamp pre level 65.
    Skuz, Boze, Bobbybick and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lejaun Augur

I see necro's tearing things up at this stage. They are pumping out nice DPS, both on bosses and overall. They are putting out huge mana for the casters in their group. They are making raids faster with cleric drags and rezzes, and so on. I'm not sure they really need even more.
    Skuz, Boze and Kobra like this.
  6. Montag Augur

How would not having to swap between 4 spell sets during every boss fight in Time hurt anyone?

It's ridiculous that necros are the only class that has to do this and you can tell I'm right by the fact that there are hardly any people playing necros at 65 in PoP.

Also thats a crapton of DoT timers to have to keep track of and overall a huge chore to maintain just do be 3rd tier dps.
  7. Kobra Augur

Its not ridiculous if you want to max your damage. Look I get it, there are a lot of people who play this game who are bad and want to dumb it down. Can't there be one class that takes some skill in this game?

If you don't like doing it go play a wizard or mage. There is nobody who plays this game in 2021 who is ignorant about what it takes to max necro damage.
    Thraven and Skuz like this.
  8. Triconix Augur

Literally everything you said is why the necro class was so fun and compelling to play. It was a very advanced class even in the most simplistic of eras of gameplay. Min/maxing was always fun to do. Swapping spell sets isn't even that difficult. You can literally assemble your hotbars to flow in your set order for bosses and press a button to swap sets.

Rotating dots was a staple for the class and every advanced necro I know thoroughly enjoyed that kind of play. Would you honestly enjoy pressing a handful of buttons every so often? It would be so mind numbingly boring. Enjoy the class for what it once was.
    Wulfhere, Skuz and Kobra like this.
  9. Kobra Augur

I am glad someone besides me gets it.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. taliefer Augur

I have never really played a necro, got one to 50 on lockjaw and it was just a mess around character, so not really gonna chime in on skill and talent and all that.

but every druid and shaman i know fell in love with their consolidated dots, once they got used to the uptick of mana cost as you go. it was a pretty big QOL change for them, and there was still some options. you didnt always need to use the highest level dot if the situation didnt call for it for example.

But I believe the devs have flat out said they dont plan on consolidating the necro dots more than they have for the level 70+ spell lines.
  11. Kahna Augur

Yeah, swapping spells sets is not entertaining. It's really not. Nor does it take "skill" to do so. Yes I am an "advanced necro" I do it because I have to but I despise it and can't wait for it to no longer be a thing. It's not even dots, plural. Really only the fire line needs to be consolidated. Poison's already been done and disease was mostly done.

Carpal tunnel inducing levels of clicking =/= skill. The longer things have drug on the fewer necros we have logging on. Seems I am not alone in the not liking the excessive clicking. Lost another one just last week, he was solid DPS too, just got tired of it.

And the devs have never stated they aren't going to continue the dot consolidation down to the 1-65 level. At least no where that anyone has been able to show me.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Maybe you should consider that you are actually a casual Necromancer and you can choose to get better or you can choose to remain mediocre.
  13. Triconix Augur

Complaining about it during POP seems to indicate you aren't. Have you done on live before revamp? When you have to account dozens of adps things flying around, multiple AA's/clicks to account for and click at the right time to not overwrite or waste when certain adps things are up?

A necro in POP spell swapping didn't even get it's feet wet.
  14. Rcbauer Augur

Nobody cool plays Live.
  15. Dark New Member

This. Tracking dot timers and knowing when to burn a little extra mana versus hold in reserve to keep your top dots up and not miss ticks is what makes necro fun/interesting. If you don't want to do spell sets there are plenty of other classes for you.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Kahna Augur

Nobody plays live.
  17. Kahna Augur

Utilizing all the tools a necro has to maximize solo, small group gameplay is fun. Setting up Gina triggers to tell you when to rotate in the next spell is not fun, or difficult. (And can still be done without 6 different versions of the fire dot that need to be kept up.)
  18. Dark New Member

Agree to disagree - I don't know what to tell you. It has always been a core part of the class and shouldn't change.
  19. Kahna Augur

But it already has changed in 90% of the game. 70+ it has changed for everything. 1-65 it has changed for our poison and disease dots already. It is really just 1 dot line, the fire line, that hasn't been changed.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Only casuals play TLP, so....