Fumbling in standard Ports

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by NeverPayForLag, Mar 19, 2021.

1. NeverPayForLag Augur

Please please please!
    Stop fumbles (leaving people clueless in the zone) in normal standard ports, esp. Druid.
    It is terrible enough that Succor/Exodus is sometimes leaving people behind.
    But a normal standard simple port to Butcherblock - a beginners level 32 (!!!) spell - leaves a level 115 a couple of times in a row looking like bloody apprentice and leaves people behind, now 2 at once (!!!)... that is simply completely stupid.
    It cannot be that we are fighting "Overlords", "Gods", "Megamaniac Monsters", "Overmighty Super Duper Raid Whatsover Complete World Eating Mega Dangers" and everything where we should save the world and a simple port for bloody beginners is leaving a level 47 standing in a far away zone clueless what to do because the big level 115, who has slain the "Mightiest of the Mightiest Beasty Boys" with an mighty 115 after his whatsoever status titles and elongations of his "Egoegoego" is too stupid to port them with a cheap level 32 spell(!!!). And today this spell does a "weirdo hyper mega super fumble" and leaves HALF of the porting crew in the Nirvana, while the Druid is concentrating and twisting for ... tata... 9 seconds ... ok.. with all boosts 4.5 seconds endlessly in the magic of the beyond to .... forget two people... somewhere... which...can walk now... play games with themselves... tease some ubah monsters to feel a bit danger... play chess with monsters... you know ... chess mate... for low levels...

There are things in this game which cannot be really meant so... and it does not the slightest make things funny, playful, playable, useful - this is a game except if somebody is writing such a post and begs humbly for every mercy any developer can give in that very discriminating moment of depression of a more than 20 year old character who thought he is a veteran - which by the way does not look in any ways as such if he is not even capable of twisting a spell which is over EIGHTY - in numbers - 80 - levels beneath the ground he is levitating over....

So please please please get rid - at least at a certain "professional" level - get rid of fumbles of stupid lowest lowest lowest level spells which are by any means normally not fumblable with full maximum AA (!!!!) at level 115 (which makes me think about the usefulness of such unfumble-AAs).

A meanwhile really bored player in EQ who is tired after over 20 years of these things...

sorry for that rant but think about that only for a moment if that is not again a bug camouflaged in a feature ;)
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You cast Succor: Butcher. It's in the name ... succor.

The developers have stated many times that the failure rate in gates and evac spells are built in to the code. You can accept their explanation or not, but what hasn't changed is their extreme reluctance to do anything with that code.

I do hope you felt better after your rant though.
  3. NeverPayForLag Augur

Yes, it felt like a stone pumping from my heart onto the feet of a smurf.
    At least it makes some people smirk... :rolleyes:
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think earning the title "Planeshifter" should make my gates/ports/evacs un-collapsible.

It could be a nice little motivation to complete the epic 2.0. :)

(likewise for druids)
  5. NeverPayForLag Augur

What a nice idea... would the devs consider such things... my Epic 2.0 does not prevent me from fum..stumbling into a port mess. Tell me more ;)
  6. Febb Augur

This isn't a bug. This is feedback. Start a thread in the vet lounge talking about this subject.
    Duder likes this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

not a bug
    Duder likes this.
  8. Rolaque Ancient

Working as intended. It's inherent to the game, and its roots from the very beginning.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Duder like this.
  9. Willowtree Journeyman

lol...
    this thread reads like a typical Sonys':

"It is not a bug - it is a feature"

It is always funny to see, how many people are accepting bugs as features. Reminds me on todays politicians. My druid fails on ports and on succor spells. Regardless what a dev said in the past, this is a bug or if intended, it is really bad game design. And only because many here repeat phrases from an anachronistical past does not mean it becomes more true...
  10. dreamweaver Community Manager

Hi there, while what is described is not a bug I did not want someone resolving and locking the thread because it's location. I have moved it to Veteran's Lounge so the conversation can continue.

Carry on.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

I do think an aa similar to mastery of the past should fit this issue.
    Jumbur and Yinla like this.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I still remember the time I was in a group and we all were ready to leave an area and a druid cast one of their Succor spells and someone got left behind. We were like, "What happened?".

It seems the druid had no idea that the "Succor" spells were emergency teleports and had a chance to leave someone behind. They just thought it was a normal teleport and were like, "It has a shorter cast time, why wouldn't I use it?".
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh the funny part is the OP worried about it makes a 115 seem unprofessional. Really? Succors and such sometimes fail. I rarely have it happen and do not see what a big deal it is.

I guess I am just secure enough in my 115ness that I don't sweat the small stuff.

Could DBG get rid of the mechanic? Sure I guess so but for me personally I really don't see the need to look at it.

And for those wizards and druids that sometimes suffer from TD (Teleport Disfunction) don't worry. Maybe you were just overly stressed or tired but if these problems persist seek help.
  14. Febb Augur

I think someone needs a hug lol
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I played a druid to 40 something in `99, did a lot of ports, did some evacs. After that I still used him to port people around until the relevant port spells had out-leveled the toon. Today was the first day I've ever heard of a port/evac spell leaving a person behind, at least one that wasn't out of range. Portal collapse, sure, just recast. Cast spell and not everybody is there when you land on the other side? Never.

When did this start?
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The druid Succor, Exodus, Egress, etc., spells and AAs always have had the chance to leave someone behind (including the druid casting them).

Normal teleport spells do not have this.

The same is true, I believe, for the wizard equivalents.

This is by design and working as intended. The price you pay for getting out of trouble quickly is the risk it doesn't work.

If you look at the spell data, it says those spells "Evacuate" the target or group, while normal teleport spells say "Teleport". Any "Evacuate" spell or ability has a chance to leave someone behind.

17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It didn't. OP is high. Normal ports never leave anyone behind. Evac spells always have had that possibility, and that's part of the design.
  18. Darchon_Xegony Augur

The rare occasions where gates and Evacs fail don’t bother me nearly as much as the cast time on these spells.

Group ports are 16 seconds base cast.
    Translocates are 10 seconds base cast.
    Single ports are 7 seconds base cast.

First of all, those cast times have not changed since 1999. I think it’s time to accept we can cast ports a bit faster.

Second of all, in Luclin we got Quick Evacuation AA line to hasten our succor spells up to 50%. Other than the generic Succor and Egress spells which have effectively been replaced by AAs, this line gets no real use. I’d love to see an additional rank on the line that makes it work on all our port spells.

It really is telling that as a Druid I always use Drunkard Stein, a clicky available to all basically every time I need to get to PoK.

Lastly, AE TL AA to guild hall anchor being 20 seconds in hastable. Come on. It can no longer be used in combat so there’s no balance concerns here. Hell there’s no reason that cast time shouldn’t be 0.5 seconds.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could give us (wizard and druids) an AA the lets us use ALL clicky-gate-items as instant cast(and with a 10 mins cooldown), regardless of the item's actual cast-time and cooldown.

That would probably make me into a clicky-gate-collector...:)

and make our secondary/tertiary recall instant-cast too.
    Ezbro likes this.
  20. MmmmBop Wise Troll

I vote to give wizards the ability to have no fail evacs but leave druids as is.

Wizards are already known to be in a bad place in regards to tuning and this could solve many of their problems. After all, every time they avoid death it's that much more experience saved which they can use to make up for the fact they aren't capable of earning it as fast as everyone else anymore ;)