What have you learned from playing Everquest?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Cicelee Augur

Silly fun thread time...

After 22 years of Everquest, the game has definitely left an impression on many players. So in this thread, what has the game taught you that you did not know previously?

I have learned two things off the top of my head-

1. It is acceptable at a job interview, when asked the question to describe a time when you led a team to success, to describe how you were the raid leader of a guild and how you led your guild to a server first victory over Quarm back in 2003 or whenever Planes of Power came out (and I was the one asking the question, and that was their response)

2. Back in the early 2000s, and through most of that decade, apparently men thought that a female character in game meant that you could shower them with armor and spells and weapons and platinum with the expectation that ... "adult situations" would then occur. I was not aware there was a group of individuals like that, but I was mistaken.
    Yinla and Skuz like this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

AFK

BRB

/ignore :(

LFG

Laggggggggggg

People in Norway are real and play EQ

/target does not work at a rifle range. OK, kind of a reverse thing there.

Some HTML. I can, when the winds/currents/karma are right, modify UI pieces without causing everything to crash.

UI

Some of the devs. are trying realllly hard to look like their EQ selfs.

Patience...."Loading, Please Wait"

And these are just a few of my favorite things.
  3. Zarkdon Augur

Patience. This game, particularly in ye olden times, is a great builder of delayed gratification.

Teamwork with strangers, again more so in ye olden times, when you had a PUG that wasn't always perfectly equipped to deal with a camp and having to work out how to deal with each other.

Budgeting skills for a young teenager. Sometimes you really had to save up to get that item you really wanted. Also spent a lot of Friday nights working in Norrath a druid taxi when my friends were partying in Kunark.

Getting projects done you really didn't want too. Crafted armor for a warrior. Doing tradeskills. That God awful FBSS camp.

An appreciation of how much having lots of disposable cash helps (see above 5k plat was a lot back then).

And most importantly enjoy the frustrating times in life, because I sure as heck remember more of the really bad groups, corpse runs, trains, and he'll levels more than I remember the really good groups (can't remember 1 tbh but I know they were there).

It is amazing how much of this game really translates to real life. Just the struggle is getting an item or ability to work right rather than solving the problem with a pump, electric motor, PLC to work (or what ever you do for a living).

Also /ignore works much better for general chat than it does on your wife when she is nagging.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

I learned that I really sucked at PvP.
    Skuz, Nennius and Tatanka like this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I learned that shineys on the ground in real life are not collectables but are gum wrappers. :(
    Yinla, Nennius and Redsumm like this.
  6. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I learned about slow belts.
  7. Zarkdon Augur

My friend got me into rock hounding. Sometimes collectibles really are shiny things on the ground. And a lot of the time they look like out of place ground spawns too!
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

People literally whine about everything.
    Smokezz, Elyssanda, Windance and 3 others like this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I learned to seek out like-minded people to sparq more joi.

I learned women actually do play EverQuest. And they are beautiful. :)

I learned hope isn't just for the weak, but also for the strong - and that the weak can become strong using hope.

I learned raiders mess up just as much as anyone else - perhaps more so. The successful ones just never give up. (this one's my favorite as it reflects also in life)

Fun isn't just something that happens to a person. It happens through participation and putting themselves 'out there'. Comfort zones are zones without risk. No risk, no joy. Also, life happens where comfort and risk meet. And living is fun!

Thanks EverQuest.
  10. Lubianx Augur

That Everything is Rare's fault.

Even when the local council put traffic lights in a stupid spot it's Rare's fault, even though I am in another country
    Elyssanda and Kaenneth like this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Spider-bears are amazing

EverQuest has millions of cool "player stories" and probably as many cool "developer stories", watching Shawn Lord's twitch streams with former & some current EQ devs has been a real eye-opener on just how much passion still exists for the game even from people who stopped working on it decades ago, as much as I have always thought EQ was more than just a game, for them it was almost always more than just a job.

Someone needs to do whatever it takes, bribes, beer, cake, emotional support hamster etc. to get Absor into a "chat show" situation like Fading has with Holly on his EverQuest show or Shawn Lord has with other developers on his twitch chat, it would be amazing to hear his take on the game and all of the years of stories he must have locked away in his head. I know he is happier avoiding any limelight but you cannot be on the team as long as he has without having some very unique insights & perspectives, I think there's a lot of player fondness for Absor.

Emotional Support Hamster should be a position at daybreak to soothe the nerves of the ops team when it all goes wrong.
    Coagagin and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  12. Aegir Augur

I learned Touch-Typing as a teenager playing EQ.

If people saw me typing during High School, I would tell them a lie how I learned to type this fast without looking at the keyboard.

If I saw someone else typing that fast, I would ask "What server are you playing on?"
    Valdest, Elyssanda and Skuz like this.
  13. Qelil Augur

I learned I should go outside more.

Naw! Just kidding!
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Walking round a city in a pirate hat people give you funny looks, sitting in a pub in the same city does not. :D
  15. Zamiam Augur

patience !! and sometimes even that is put to the test on patch days :p ;)
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

We need that hamster in game!! Like for a mid summer giveaway. Just a little hamster familiar!
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Roxas MM Augur

1 of the things that stuck with me the most is the difference of atmosphere ( i mean the way people act in game ) compared to the time zones. When most people from Asia played ( dont think there are many japanese/korean people left in game ?) it was totally different compared to the european time zones, and then when the us wakes up, it changes again.

i love though over the years i met people from all over the world and consider them still as friends whenever i meet them, mostly online, although a few guild meetings in Italy still stick with me as well :).
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Skuz like this.
  18. Sheebea Augur

That working for a living sucs for play EQ.
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

How to type.
    Svann2, Elyssanda and Metanis like this.
  20. code-zero Augur

As a bard main I always play a male bard but most all of any boxes I play are female characters. I discovered that people really can't tell if you're boxing and will hit on the female characters when you group with them. Hilarious stuff, my female alts have much bigger friend lists than my bard and get random group invites from time to time to this day :D